Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #1

Help required!

Im looking at getting a new DSLR to replace and old pentax SLR.

I have a few lenses for my SLR, a vivitar series 1 70-200mm and a wide angle (cant remember the size).

My question is, would I be better getting a new lens collection, or continue to use these lenses, as well as my kit lenses for the time being.

I will mainly be doing landscape (alot of which will be low light, early morning/late evening) photography and shoots of cars (parked, stationary), with the occasional portrait and low light/night city shots (these two are very rare occurrences).

Is the K20d a good choice for these circumstances?

I have read sevral reviews saying the k20d/gx20 performs badly in low light, is this ture?

And i will be mainly shooting RAW.

And I am still debating between the gx20 and K20d.

07-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #2

Original Poster
Looking at this thread https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/64295-pentax-high-...post-here.html

High ISO dosent seem to be a problem.
07-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #3
graphicgr8s

I'd get the K20D myself.

Some of the Vivitar lenses have a "shroud" on the mount that prevents it from going onto the digitals. You just have to cut it off.
07-14-2009, 11:26 PM   #4

Original Poster
Dont think I want to be doing that.

The kit I am looking at comes with 18-55 and a 200mm zoom lens. So if my wide angle lens fits, thats great.

But I dont want to be damaging my vivitar.

07-14-2009, 11:32 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ome of the Vivitar lenses have a "shroud" on the mount that prevents it from going onto the digitals. You just have to cut it off.
Or simpler, just screw it off - not the whole mount, only the part that holds that "shroud", it's quite easy if you have a small screwdriver. There's like three screws holding the black part of the mount with "shroud", and three other screws that hold the rest, silver, part of the mount. Screw off the former three and stay away from the ones that hold the lens mount, and you should be okay.

Bo.
07-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #6

Original Poster
I have found a gx-20 $150 cheaper than a k20d, is the k20d worth the extra $150, because I dont need compressed raw, so I cant see an advantage for it over the samsung?
07-15-2009, 09:44 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
ANY pentax Dslr will do...

If you really only care about the mentioned usage, then I dont see any body features that would matter to you.

The only low light usage you list is landscape and night shots... both of these are going to require heavy intervention by you with metering. In other words, you arent going to put any camera on 'P' and get the shot you want in these circumstances.

Also, these do not require fast Autofocus. So the K20's low light performance should be just fine!

I think you are just buying the sensor... so do you want 14.9, 10 or 6MP? the extra resolution of the 14.9 may be noticeable in your landscapes, depending on how you view them.

so I would say K20D if you want resale value, or GX20 if you just want least expensive.

-k
07-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
do you want 14.9, 10 or 6MP? the extra resolution of the 14.9 may be noticeable in your landscapes
Meaning what?

I thought the GX-20 and K20d were almost identical?