View Poll Results: Do you own a K-7?
Yes 17454.21%
No 14745.79%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 09:37 AM   #46
Inactive Account

I blew my load in the K7 vs. K20D post

Yes, and I couldn't be happier. But I blew my considerably windy load in the K7 versus K20D post!

01-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. Smile
01-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #48

me,me,me,me,me,me,me,me own K7
01-25-2010, 05:10 PM   #49
Veteran Member

No, I won't have one.

Rui

01-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #50
Veteran Member

I do want a k-7, I just hope they don't upgrade to a k-9, the jokes would be too easy.
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM   #51

Here is my personal opinion. I don’t think K-7 produces better images compared to K-x. Some people feel that because K-7 is over $1000, it will make them produce better images. I feel K-x produces better quality images, compared to K-7. And why have a K-7 if the camera cannot work at all ISO’s. If you pay $1000 for a body, you want quality images in all ISO settings. But, some people want a camera with “features” and never think about quality pictures. Take K-x, just change the name to K-8 with a price of $1200 and EVERYONE will be buying it.
01-26-2010, 10:22 PM   #52
Veteran Member

IQ is foremost in my mind, however, I think the weather seal would add a level of security to my abuse of a camera system.
01-26-2010, 10:41 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pakuchn Quote
Take K-x, just change the name to K-8 with a price of $1200 and EVERYONE will be buying it.
realistically speaking,even if you change the k-x name to k-8 and sell it for $1200, EVERYONE will be bashing it for the things it doesn't have. trust me , HIGH ISO capability alone wont be able to save it's skin.

if the K-7 never existed, and for that $1,200 price tag, I would rather get a D90 or buy the K20D and still have enough cash to buy me some great lenses.

setting the k-x price to $1,200 just be plainly idiotic, especially for a camera that is obviously intended and built for entry level. I can just imagine how the D5000 and T1i sell like pancakes once Pentax made that silly move. Pentax doesn't own the dslr market alone, and they should know where to put a camera to it's rightful category, featurewise and pricewise.

with the advancement of post-processing softwares nowadays, the HIGH ISO images above 3200 of any camera can now match the HIGH ISO IQ capability of the k-x. so if HIGH ISO IQ is your concern, there is always a post-processing enhancement right around the corner. what matters now is to how and what you need in the field while you are in the act of shooting. for the most part, I do believe that the k-x's lack of controls, focus indicator and assist lamp , MLU, plastic body and tiny built or simply ergo, smaller and pentamirror type OVF, metering system, and non-WR would make it more detrimental for active shooters.

p.s. I believe there was a discussion about what if the k-x was selling for $1,200 against the K-7's price (which is $1,200) and I think the general concession was, that it is simply illogical to chose or even bring the k-x in that price range. but for the sake of argument, maybe someone would be interested to start a new poll pitting both cameras at certain prices, like K-x versus K-7 at $1,200 or K-x versus K-7 at $500 or $700? but for those who know the value (not price) of each camera, the result is pretty obvious.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 01-27-2010 at 02:48 AM.
01-27-2010, 01:01 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't discount the K7 at lower ISO....just because a sensor is great at high ISO doesn't mean it is still better at other ISO levels. There is also a large list of features that the K-7 has that the KX does not (mirror lockup, weather sealing, auto focus assist etc etc.

The KX is a great camera, but it is geared for a certain market. A friend in sales at one store is finding that they are not selling...it is simply too plasticy
01-27-2010, 02:36 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Here is my personal opinion. I don’t think K-7 produces better images compared to K-x. Some people feel that because K-7 is over $1000, it will make them produce better images. I feel K-x produces better quality images, compared to K-7. And why have a K-7 if the camera cannot work at all ISO’s. If you pay $1000 for a body, you want quality images in all ISO settings. But, some people want a camera with “features” and never think about quality pictures. Take K-x, just change the name to K-8 with a price of $1200 and EVERYONE will be buying it.
Thats your opinion and you are entitled to it, but I think the weather sealing is well worth it, especially if you have weather sealed lens... why own a weather sealed lens and not have a weather sealed camera

The build and feel of the K-7 is far more solid.. which it is over the K-x. I still own a GX20 which is a K20 clone and prefer the K-7 for its layout and upgraded features. I cannot tell much difference in image quality between the two using my best lens the FA31.. it really depends on the subject light and situation

For me high ISO is not something that concerns me, rather the opposite, why pay high prices for great Pentax fast glass that give quality IQ by using very high ISO.

I have shot at concerts and a lot of my work involves low light areas where flash is not permitted such as monastries and temples as I take photos for a Buddhist Society and I have yet to run into any problems with noise.

K-7 is well worth it and is most certainly a camera that is targeted at a different market than the K-x which is a great camera for those who do not need the features of the K-7 or for entry level photography.

Cheers

Neil
01-27-2010, 03:07 AM   #56
Veteran Member

the k-x has a 1 stop advantage for those who need it. but a 1 stop advantage alone is not worth the additional $600 dollars more. I'd use that money to buy some great lenses instead. you pay more for what is in there.
01-27-2010, 06:26 AM   #57

Correct $600 is alot for a k-7 which has one less stop advantage. And $600 for a weather deal body? People been using 35mm camera's for years, taking amazing images and they never had weather sealed body camera.

I agree with another person that said to invest in lens.

SO, it's picking K-X with 16-55 and 55-300 and one other quality lense for price of K-7 with 15-55.
01-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Correct $600 is alot for a k-7 which has one less stop advantage. And $600 for a weather deal body? People been using 35mm camera's for years, taking amazing images and they never had weather sealed body camera.

SO, it's picking K-X with 16-55 and 55-300 and one other quality lense for price of K-7 with 15-55.
what's a weather deal body?
sorry cant help it.

anyway, you missed the point there. weather sealing is not the only thing that the K-7 have over the k-x. please refer to the things mentioned or look at the specs between the two cameras.

even if you put a weather sealing on the k-x, it still lacks a lot of things that would make it a $1,200 camera.
01-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #59

Photos: Albums
I now own a K7! Woohoo!!! It's awesome....
01-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #60
Veteran Member

Yes I know people have been taking pictures for years.. I am one of them, but we are talking digital electronics.

Re people would rather spend their money on good quality lenses, yep I too am one of them, was a Nikon Film man for years. Can get all I want from my K-7 camera and save big $$$ compared to Nikon and co. then have Pentax quality glass to boot at far cheaper rates compared to the opposition.

I also only paid for body only with my K-7.