Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Shutter Malfunction on k200

So I was just testing some exposure settings and taking test shots in M mode when the camera just "freaked out" and started releasing the shutter non stop, seriously like 8FPS. It would not stop even after I turned the power switch to off, I had to open the battery door to get it to stop.

Has anyone had this happen?

07-14-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
seems like serious malfunction which can cause death of shutter. Never experienced it though
07-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Haha yeeep, thats what started happening to mine I think about 4-5 months after I bought it. Started doing the double/triple slaps on the shutter press every once in a while and I think it was extra twitchy when I had oldies on like my Juptier-9, Kiron 28/2. I remember it was going off quite a bit with my T-Mount Rokinon 500/6.3. MightyMike remembers haha. My camera was sittin' on the grass no standby and the camera would be just slapping away, randomly.

I've had continuous slaps before. Really annoying and people look at you funny. Often popping the batteries stops it for a while.

...but enough was enough and its now at Pentax for treatment. Its gonna be in for a surprise when it gets back and there's a K20D in its spot in my bag

Yea, I'd take it in for repair. I've had the Samsung GX-1L, Pentax K100D before it and never had such happen regardless of lens.
07-14-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Interesting. Can you make it do it again by repeating the sequence of things you did?

Also: what batteries were you using?

And gee, 8fps sounds pretty useful. Maybe its not a bug, but a feature...

07-14-2009, 08:29 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
did something get wet?

I had this problem on my *istD when the kayak I was in got swamped, and water went all over the top of the camera, causing all sorts of funny things with the power switch.

I also pulled the batteries.

when I got back to base, I set it in the sun, upside down (as I assumed water went in the top, it may also flow out) opened all the covers and let it bake.

4 hours later it worked just fine. that was 5 years and 12000 shots ago. it has never been serviced and never makfunctioned since.
07-14-2009, 09:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

LOL.

So the lesson for the OP is: dunk your camera in water, then sun-dry it for a few hours.
07-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Veteran Member

there is another thread somewhere about this problem. ive had it happen twice. both times seem to be related to the batteries being near death

07-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote
there is another thread somewhere about this problem. ive had it happen twice. both times seem to be related to the batteries being near death
I think your right, as soon as I put the lithium's back in there were dead dead dead. New batteries installed and no problems today. very weird.