Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 03:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K20 pef, dng & pspx2

Unable to find in one location, how the K20 and Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 (PSPX2) are compatible, I carried out some simple tests. I hope others find the results of interest. I have Corel PSPX2 (rel 12.1), the K20 in both PEF and DNG is incompatible. So I loaded PSPX2 Ultimate (rel 12.5), took two similar photos in PEF and DNG and both are readable in PSPX2U. What was intersting was the size of the files and the suitability of DNG. The PEF was about 15MB and the DNG 25MB. I then loaded the PEF into the PENTAX/Silkypix 3.61 viewer and saved it as a DNG. The DNG produced by the viewer was 14MB and readable by PSPX2U. The DNG produced by the K20 shows itself as uncompressed in the PSPX2U, the PEF->DNG genrated file shows itself as compressed.

I wonder why PENTAX decided that the K20 was not to produce a compressed form of the DNG. The PEF is compressed, why not the DNG? The compressing will take cpu power and firwmare space if available, however I think thas would be easier than writing 10Mb to the memory card. If anyone has good access to PENTAX marketing, it would be a reasonable question to ask, why is the DNG not compressed.

07-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

PSPx2 Ultimate can open K7 PEF Files too but the colors are wrong. I dont know if it's a color thing or a white balance thig but they will open.