Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-7 and Time Information

Has anyone noticed their K-7 doing weird things with the capture time? I use Lightroom to view and sort my pictures, and since I often use two cameras, I always sort by capture time so that it's easier to find direct comparison shots. Sunday I took over 150 pictures while hiking in the heat. I've been geotagging pictures recently, and at one point fairly early in the hike, I thought to check the time on the GPS with what was set on the camera (they matched so I didn't change the camera at all). When I asked Lightroom to sort by capture time, the files were re-arranged - some pictures I took about 7:30 showed a time of 9:30. And a jpg and a raw file of the same picture (I was shooting raw+) had different times, with a picture taken at a later time in between. It was very bizarre. I thought it might have been the geotagging program I was using, but it wasn't - I downloaded the files twice, once onto an external hard drive and once on the computer hard drive. I only geotagged the set on the computer's hard drive, but both sets have the strange, wrong times.

My camera was one of those with the vertical line so I've sent it back to Amazon for exchange so I can't check to see if this will happen again, but i was wondering if anyone else had noticed this problem with their cameras.

07-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Have you touched the Time Zone settings in any way in between ? ("World Time" in the menu).
If you set a Destination under "World Time" your photos will appear under this time
Its actually useful while travelling, your photos will be imprinted with the local time which may be very different from your home time. E.g. You may take a photo 7 am in the morning travelling in London, and its still 11 pm the previous day in California.

Other than that, I think the camera which you returned was faulty in some way or another, the vertical line may just be one symptom.
07-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ho, ho, ho - that's probably exactly what happened. I used the world time function to bring up the time the camera was set to when I compared it to the GPS. I probably accidentally changed it to what was set for world time - my same city but standard time, not daylight savings when I was checking (I was still rather fumbling around with the interface). So the later pictures would be an hour off (I checked it fairly early in the hike, but had taken a number of pictures before).

Thanks very much for the suggestion - I didn't even think about that! I had been thinking the worst (that there was additional problems with it, perhaps caused by heat) and wondering if I should have just asked for a refund instead of an exchange. I'm delighted to know that there's a much simpler explanation for it! I'm far happier when I find out the problem is "operator head-space and timing", instead of a real issue.

Thanks again for relieving my mind.