Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1

Just got my K20D today

UPS dropped off my K20D from Adorama today. Haven't really had a lot of time to mess around with it. Good thing I'm off work tomorrow. Anyone have any tips? I know some people like to mess around with color saturation, contrast, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that too?

07-15-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It's all subjective, best thing to do is play around with the settings and see what rocks your boat. I would say that the majority of people don't leave their camera on factory settings.
Congrats on the K20.
07-15-2009, 09:29 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Have fun and leave feedback on how you like it.
07-15-2009, 09:36 PM   #4

Original Poster
I figured someone would say it's subjective.

I already have the color set to natural rather than bright...who know's, maybe I'll up she sharpness a little bit on my own. I can't wait to get out and test it out tomorrow afternoon. It's supposed to be a pretty good day weather wise.

07-15-2009, 10:20 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that too?
Sit up all night and read the book so you understand what the options are and can try all of them.

Shoot all day then upload and examine your pics to see what works for you.

Repeat.
07-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Haha I was in your position like two weeks ago.

I'd admit the manuals these days are a bit of a lost cause useless you know specifically what you are looking for...that is if you are too lazy to read the whole thing,
cuz its a ...

The first thing that struck me was that its a quite jump from the entry levels in terms of customisabilty and extra buttons and dials. Depending on which camera you had before, I'd go through the Custom Menu options after setting your date and time and see what applies to you now like how you want your dials, colour modes, preview method, usage of aperture ring, etc.
07-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
The first thing that struck me was that its a quite jump from the entry levels in terms of customisabilty and extra buttons and dials. Depending on which camera you had before, I'd go through the Custom Menu options after setting your date and time and see what applies to you now like how you want your dials, colour modes, preview method, usage of aperture ring, etc.
Yeah i tried to read the manual today and fell asleep doing so. There's no way I'm getting through that thing.
This the first DSLR that is actually mine and only mine. Whenever I'd be home on a break from school I'd mess around with his Canon XTi, and I can already tell this is a different kind of beast. I've already messed with the preview mode (viewfinder, since I never liked live view on the point and shoots), and the first thing I did was turn on aperture ring usage since I plan on using my 50mm 1.7 that came with my ME. I'll probably mess around with color modes some more tomorrow once I actually get to log some time with this thing.
07-16-2009, 06:40 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
UPS dropped off my K20D from Adorama today. Haven't really had a lot of time to mess around with it. Good thing I'm off work tomorrow. Anyone have any tips? I know some people like to mess around with color saturation, contrast, etc. Anyone have any recommendations for stuff like that too?
Enjoy the K20D...dollar for dollar it's gotta be one of the best SLR's available today.

07-16-2009, 07:09 PM   #9

Original Poster
Man this thing takes some pretty good pictures. I'll still have to tweak the settings a little bit, but so far I'm pretty pleased.