Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 09:54 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I remember very similar sentiments being expressed when the K20D was introduced. Many K10D users, myself included, did not feel that the K20D represented a large enough jump in features and IQ to justify upgrading.
Similar overall, but opposite in some specifics: with the K20D, the camera was close to identical to the K10D *except* for IQ, which was the one thing that changed significantly. Whereas going from the K20D to the K-7, the IQ is the *most* similar thing; it's the body and other specs that have changed.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 07-17-2009 at 11:50 AM.
07-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
I certainly hope this thread doesn't represent the majority of thought about the K7, or they're in for a sales failure with their new model
My hope is that you're wrong (nothing personal :-). That is, I hope Pentax didn't put out the K-7 expecting that the majoirty of K20D owners would upgrade. I would assume they are hoping more for purchases from owners of *other* models, including competing models. Banking on everyone to buy a new body just a year or so after getting their K20D's would have been a huge mistake, no matter how miraculous the camera was.
07-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
nostatic, has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to Harpo Marx?
Only my brother Groucho.
07-16-2009, 11:26 PM   #34
Veteran Member

nostatic, has anyone ever told you that you bear a striking resemblance to Harpo Marx?
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Only my brother Groucho.
LOL!!!!

07-17-2009, 09:19 AM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My hope is that you're wrong (nothing personal :-). That is, I hope Pentax didn't put out the K-7 expecting that the majoirty of K20D owners would upgrade. I would assume they are hoping more for purchases from owners of *other* models, including competing models. Banking on everyone to buy a new body just a year or so after getting their K20D's would have been a huge mistake, no matter how miraculous the camera was.
Judging from the number of threads and enthusiasm here over the K-7, I'd be surprised if they don't do fine with it. I doubt that the majority of K10d users upgraded to the K20d, either.
07-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #36
Veteran Member

I think you're totally right, Marc. think with other brands. I don't know of many people who have a 40D, and jumped all over the 50D, nor do I know many people with a D80, that jumped on the D90. Even in other brands, one generation's difference isn't usually enough to make people uprgrade. But all the people with 10/20/30d's, Rebels, D40/50/60/70's and so on, we're all about the upgrade. I think the same thing will apply here.

The other thing is, from a professionals photog's point of view, it's just another tool to have in the bag. Even if IQ is similar to a K20d, it already seems that it will have a different personality. The best thing of having different camera's is finding each one's strengths, and using the right tool for hte right job. I have a K10d and a K20d, and I will be getting a K-7 soon. I have no doubt I will still use all three. Plus now, when my wife and I are both shooting, we still have a backup, and a damn good one at that. I'll still have need for the K20d, and I'll still have need for K10d, which still looks the best for ISO 100 studio lit product shots. We were getting to the point of really need atleast a third camera, and I'm really glad that we can get another unique tool for the bag, instead of doubling up on something we already have.
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And just for the record, my bet is that I'll pick up a K7 at a later date to use as a travel setup with ltd primes. Right now I'm not keen to have two dSLR bodies so the K20d is more flexible for me at the moment as I like the way it handles larger lenses. But I think that K7 with 15/35/70 ltd in the bag would be a hard combo to beat.

To me the K7 isn't a K20d replacement but rather a complement. It is a different camera rather than an "upgrade."
07-17-2009, 11:54 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Interestingly, one of the first solid rumors that came out regarding the K-7 (long before we knew its name or anything about the specs) was a comment by someone at Pentax - can't remember who - about the next camera not necessarily being a step up from the K20D exactly, but simply being "different" (albeit better in some ways). At the time, really, no one knew what to make of the comment, although I recall speculation it would be K20D-like internally but smaller. And that turns out to have been pretty much the case, except of course for the addition of video and a few other niceties.

07-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Nostatic: Were you using the K7 with the new grip? Or by itself?

I work with both a K10D and a K20D. I have only 1 grip, and it stays (generally) on the K20D. I am a big guy (6' 2") with biggish hands and I just like the way the camera feels with the grip. I don't think I'll buy a K7 until I can afford to buy the grip at the same time.
07-17-2009, 02:51 PM   #40
Veteran Member

FWIW, I've had essentially nothing to say one way or the other about the K-7, but your comments make total sense to me. I think the K-7 looks great as a first Pentax, as an upgrade from any model other than the K20D, or for someone who wants "pro" features in a smaller body. But for K20D owners who *like* the form factor of that camera, there wouldn't seem to be a lot of reason to make the change, unless you've just got to have video, or find that X% increase in focus speed, frame rate, or whatever is worth $1000 to you. And that's fine - I don't think Pentax *should* be depending on most K20D owners upgrading to this camera in order for it to succeed (if that was their intent, they brought it out too soon and too similarly spec'ed).
That has to be one of the most sound arguments I have heard for the "Should I sell my K20D for the K7?" dilemma. I will wait it out till the next generation. Unless of course if Pentax want to "Make Up" I might be convinced.
07-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is almost certainly correct. Virtually all cameras are evolutionary, meaning that they embody relatively small improvements from their immediate predecessors. Truly revolutionary cameras are rare.

Rob
07-18-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
Pentaxian

What's the password?

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Only my brother Groucho.
Soidfish!

By the way, this whole discussion cements my decision. I skipped the K20 but tried the K2000 for better tungsten/low light focus. It became my "indoor" camera and one readily leant to family.

I'll keep one of the two and get the K-7.

Now I'll have to pick one to sell. And I think that discussion is a whole new thread.

But while we're at it: Hail Freedonia! And give my best to Margaret Dumont.
07-18-2009, 11:16 PM   #43
Site Supporter

Interestingly, one of the first solid rumors that came out regarding the K-7 (long before we knew its name or anything about the specs) was a comment by someone at Pentax - can't remember who - about the next camera not necessarily being a step up from the K20D exactly, but simply being "different" (albeit better in some ways). At the time, really, no one knew what to make of the comment, although I recall speculation it would be K20D-like internally but smaller. And that turns out to have been pretty much the case, except of course for the addition of video and a few other niceties.
Great memory. I now also recall reading something as you.
07-18-2009, 11:49 PM   #44
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes...it wasn't a full frame 60 MP body.....hype has a let down. I own the K7 and had the k20d.....I don't expect to really know the camera for some time. At 5 AM with the sun coming out I had a great shot but due to lighting it blew out.....something that HDR could have helped with?...if I had thought of it.
07-19-2009, 01:00 AM   #45
Veteran Member

I'm glad I waited till the K-7 before upgrading from the K10d. Resisting temptation makes you feel good about yourself! Plus you get more WOW factor with a bigger difference in tech. Mind you I was excited about the smaller size of the K-7!