Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 01:21 AM   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I was thinking today a 15/43/77 with K7 would be an amazing travel setup.
I'm thinking 15/40/77 and a K7, but I hear you.

I'm upgrading from a K10d, so the K7 seems like a pretty big step up for me. Oh, and I like the size but, as you say, ergonomics do matter.

I think the video is good enough for me to replace my HF100 but I can't contemplate life (at least as a parent) without my XH-A1.

07-23-2009, 03:51 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Well, despite my initial (and to some extent continuing) enthusiasm for the K7, I finally packed it up and it'll go back tomorrow. It is a great camera and in fact I went and handled a900, 5Dmk2 and D700 the other day out of frustration and frankly the Pentax just feels "right." And the Pentax glass keeps me here...

But in the end the new form factor just isn't comfortable for me to carry (again, I have a very particular style/approach so ymmv and take my opinion with a salt lick). As I never have really complained about the iq for the K20d, there wasn't much of a bump from the K7 other than much better AWB indoors. I also have gotten used to the AF performance of the K20d and anticipate pretty well. After shooting a lot of comparisons what I found was that there were some images where I preferred the K7, but an equal number where I preferred the K20d (all shot raw and developed in either Aperture or Raw Developer). I could almost always tell which was which, and the K7 is probably more "accurate" with metering but I actually like the way the K20d exposes for what I shoot. Part of that could just be that I'm used to the K20d look.

The other big feature of the K7, video, turned out to not send me. While I have seen some great examples, the reality is that my DLux4 captures HD video with excellent low light performance. I also have Canon HD miniDV cams, and I've come full circle back to my original arguments against video on dSLR. I do a lot of run and gun and while a camera like the XH-A1 is much larger, it is easier to shoot with, does handheld well, and has built-in robust sound capabilities. And I'm lazy - the less I have to think about what I'm doing other than seeing the shot, the better.

My take at this point is that there are a variety "still cam" video implementations out there, so for quick and dirty my DLux4 will do the job, and for more serious the XH-A1. The dSLR does give the DOF advantage so if that is important to what you're trying to capture then the K7 is great. Or if you just want to carry one camera and grab occasional video it is great. In my case I'd likely just carry DLux4 and K20d to cover my bases as I can pocket the DLux4. As I said, I'm lazy. Shooting video on a dSLR is just too much work at this point

At any rate, I certainly think the K7 is a great camera and I can see why most (all?) are very happy with it. But to go along with that, the K20d is a great camera as well. And for me, the form factor is a better fit. For instance, the 50-135* certainly balances better (again, to me) on the K20d than on the K7. But any of the DA or FA ltd primes on the K7 creates a small/tough/elegant package that frankly I don't think Canikon can touch. I was thinking today a 15/43/77 with K7 would be an amazing travel setup.

In a perfect world I'd have both K7 and K20d depending on my mood, but I'd rather buy some more glass and keep shooting the K20d while looking for the "ultimate" street cam in-between the DLux4 and K20d.

For those with K10 or earlier, I think the K7 is a "no-brainer" upgrade, especially if you want video and some of the other features. If price is an object, I think the K20d is a great choice if you're actually willing to learn how to work with the camera, and use fast glass.
Great description. Maybe with grip, the K7 would be a better match for you ?

I plan on getting the K7, as a second cam at some point, along with my K10. But I do imagine, it will take some getting used to.

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
To be honest, if a K20D user feels no strong reason to upgrade to the K-7, that's understandable; just shows you how good the K20D is to start with.

Not everybody needs/ wants all the new and improved stuff which the K-7 offers.
Hey, if low-light AF was a priority, I probably wouldn't have bought Pentax to start with....but its nice Pentax got it right on the K-7.
Completely right

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Heck, I just looked a few minutes ago and on Amazon the K20D new is around $600 (~$605 direct from Amazon)

Amazon.com: Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only): Camera & Photo

Worth considering if one adds the 3yr warranty thing. I got mine from Willoughbys, also on Amazon, for just $3.99...I was not sure if the free 3-yr extended warranty promo that was supposed to run until near the end of this month (June 2009) applies to camera's bought from all vendors.
If you’re much into Reseller ratings, how come you bought from Willoughbys ? They usually score pretty low.
07-23-2009, 05:08 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
If you’re much into Reseller ratings, how come you bought from Willoughbys ? They usually score pretty low.
Who pee'd in your Cheerio's? Or did your Rice Crispy's go Snap, Crackle, Up-Yours this AM?

EDIT: Ya know that might come across as, well, cranky...I was just confused and sorta teasing ya back...so please take it in that spirit...I forget folks here don't know why I am the way I am since I'm new...

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-23-2009 at 05:35 AM.
07-23-2009, 05:36 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Who pee'd in your Cheerio's? Or did your Rice Crispy's go Snap, Crackle, Up-Yours this AM?

Hey, I’m just asking. Didn’t mean anything negative by it.
As I wrote in this thread, I’ve been happy to read your input :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66001-even-if-no-r...tml#post674906

I was even surprised to see in your reseller link, how also UK stores where in. So I’ll be sure to checking it out another time around

07-23-2009, 05:37 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Oh, oh yeah, I was warned about Willoughby's both here and RSR but for a $3.99 purchase I did not care...worst case I file with Amazon.

I sort of got the impression good ol'Willy's is like Abe's of Maine...would not buy a dead cat from them...
07-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Hey, I’m just asking. Didn’t mean anything negative by it.
As I wrote in this thread, I’ve been happy to read your input :
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66001-even-if-no-r...tml#post674906

I was even surprised to see in your reseller link, how also UK stores where in. So I’ll be sure to checking it out another time around
oh, dang it...I KNEW it...I was trying to be goofy, but it's waaaay to early...hehehehe...sorry about that!! I need to add a disclaimer to never take me very seriously...

EDIT: btw, see post 48 for the edit I wrote why you were posting...my fault completely!! I ned more cawfee!!
07-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #52
Veteran Member

oh, dang it...I KNEW it...I was trying to be goofy, but it's waaaay to early...hehehehe...sorry about that!! I need to add a disclaimer to never take me very seriously...
No worries. It's 3 o'clock in the afternoon here in Denmark. A few more hours, and I'll be home, watching my team play a soccer match in Euro League. We're trailing by a goal from first leg, and is playing abroad. We'll see how it goes.
Cheers

07-23-2009, 05:45 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Oh, oh yeah, I was warned about Willoughby's both here and RSR but for a $3.99 purchase I did not care...worst case I file with Amazon.
Good point. But did I understand it correctly, how you got your K20 from Willoughby's ?
07-23-2009, 05:56 AM   #54
Veteran Member

ahhhh.....sure, I guess that was not clear at all...nope I got my K20D from Amazon when they had their first drop to $630ish, even popped for the $3.99 overnight shipping.

As for the warranty the day I ordered it, the price went up to $13.99 and I dunno what it is today. Amazingly enough shipping was free and I had it in about 3-4 days as I recall.

I think here in the US we do take for granted that we have so many options for buying this sort of thing and never pay duty from most countries.

BTW, the only way I will buy from several online retailers is via eBay or Amazon as they do have policies in place to pretty much make the seller deliver as promised. Since eBay moved to pretty nice discounts for Power Sellers who keep high ratings (as high as 40%, which is where I am most months, but the larger sellers who previously had pretty crappy ratings are a lot better these days...up-selling is a thing of the past through either venue anymore)...