Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 11:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

iphone tethering

I'm reiterating my call for support on this forum for a coder to work out tethering on the iphone. Falconeye has proven that the K7 can pass through video to the HDMI out as seen here:

HDMI to ipod cable exists here:
ipod to hdmi cable - Ipodhdmicable - Linkpo (China Manufacturer) - Audio & Video Cable - Optical Fiber, Cable & Wire Products - DIYTrade

Please show your support if you like this idea. I'd pay 20 dollars for such a program. Canon has made one themselves.

I'd much rather tether an iphone or ipod touch to the K7 versus one of those larger 7 inch screens. (especially when the output is only 640x480.)

07-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #2
Nubi

Sorry, Chief.

I hate iPhone with a passion. The product is great, but the aftercare is horrible. Apple is a terrible company for that. Also, AT&T is a piece of crap company too. I was so fed up with them that I paid $135 to cancel my contract and switched to Verizon.
07-16-2009, 01:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Looks like a cool idea!

Jason
07-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I don't know why cellular companies get to piss all over their customers like they do, but i'd wager they are all evil. At least they are all evil in Canada.

Apple has a large user base with an equally large developer community. This is why Canon made an app for their cameras. Its where the market is!

I'm not sure what you mean by aftercare but I'll assume you are referring to warranty. They replace units no questions asked here. (providing they are inside of the warranty time).

If not an iphone then how about a tethered ipod touch?

07-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ignore negativity - it's a good idea

I don't think one person's bad experience with one supplier or manufacturer is really a good reason to not do this. I swore off Motorola phones because of their poor interface, in spite of the company's good support for them! If people want to tether a Motorola to a video device, then I say they should promote the idea, in spite of my disinterest in it.

Tethering to a hand-held with a decent sized screen is valuable in a number of situations, like low-level or high-level shooting, where a lack of double joints or extensible neck restricts your ability to compose properly. Some of the new small portable computers or video-capable hand-helds are practicable aids for achieving this.

I've got a cracked first-generation iPhone that I'd happily dedicate to this task if such an application were available for it, and I'd even pay money for it!
07-16-2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That cable is HDMI out afaik. The iPod doesn't have HDMI in, or any video in.
07-16-2009, 08:27 AM   #7
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
That's what I thought since I have the iPod touch.

07-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
So then how has Canon done it? They are getting video into to the iphone. It must be in the SDK somewhere.
07-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, they use a app built using the SDK on a computer to stream the video feed over wifi.

Edit: In case I wasn't clear, with the canon app you still need to have the camera connected to a computer, and that computer connected to wifi, the iphone/ipod then connects to this wifi network to control the camera.
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slugger Quote
I'm reiterating my call for support on this forum for a coder to work out tethering on the iphone. Falconeye has proven that the K7 can pass through video to the HDMI out as seen here:

HDMI to ipod cable exists here:
ipod to hdmi cable - Ipodhdmicable - Linkpo (China Manufacturer) - Audio & Video Cable - Optical Fiber, Cable & Wire Products - DIYTrade

Please show your support if you like this idea. I'd pay 20 dollars for such a program. Canon has made one themselves.

I'd much rather tether an iphone or ipod touch to the K7 versus one of those larger 7 inch screens. (especially when the output is only 640x480.)
Thanks for the credit. I fear 20 dollars pays only 15 minutes of a coder's work. So, your call for support may lack an appropriate incentive

The idea is great if it can be made to work. It would make the iPhone become a field monitor, not a tethering solution though.

So then how has Canon done it? They are getting video into to the iphone. It must be in the SDK somewhere.
Yeah, they use a app built using the SDK on a computer to stream the video feed over wifi.
If this conversation accurately represents a fact, then it can't be done. I was wondering too.

The iPhone can obviously stream video as shown by its YouTube applet. But is seems to lack the hardware support for video in. Maybe the 3GS has it as it can record video from its sensor chip. But I doubt it.

HDMI/VGA out is found for many handheld devices as it enables mobile presentations. But is doesn't help us here.
07-16-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Veteran Member

only ways to get video onto the iphone/ipod touch would be to do a USB hack of the iphone cable and then the software, or via wifi (too bad the k7 doesn't have bluetooth, not that there'd be a value add there)

without a k7 in front of my, i am guessing it has the hdmi and still the USB mini plus connections?
probably could look up somewhere online the pinouts of a mini plug versus the actual ipod cable and get to hacking....but then you still have to get an app that would see it.

tho i am wondering, whats the actual intended use here? because if you connected the iphone to the k7 to be a better LCD effectively, i don't see a value unless you are making a bracket so you can hold both together easily...otherwise, i am imagining one hand holding a k7 with another holding the iphone, meaning you can't really control the k7 or control it.

if it's just for reviewing video on something better than the LCD....i'd opt for a netbook. 300 bucks, bigger than the iphone but not a beast....and no hacks needed.
07-16-2009, 09:17 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmdeegan Quote

...tho i am wondering, whats the actual intended use here? because if you connected the iphone to the k7 to be a better LCD effectively, i don't see a value unless you are making a bracket so you can hold both together easily...otherwise, i am imagining one hand holding a k7 with another holding the iphone, meaning you can't really control the k7 or control it.

if it's just for reviewing video on something better than the LCD....i'd opt for a netbook. 300 bucks, bigger than the iphone but not a beast....and no hacks needed.
The intended use is for a light-weight, already-in-pocket, waist level view finder for photo/video shooting.

There are already displays available that could be used for this purpose they are big and cumbersome looking. It would be nice to use a small-self powered solution such as an iphone or ipod touch... there are other players like android phones but there is a lot of ipods out there. A hack like this could become popular. Especially at 20 bux a pop.
07-17-2009, 01:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nubi Quote
Sorry, Chief.

I hate iPhone with a passion. The product is great, but the aftercare is horrible. Apple is a terrible company for that. Also, AT&T is a piece of crap company too. I was so fed up with them that I paid $135 to cancel my contract and switched to Verizon.
Apple's aftercare is actually some of the best arround if there's a problem with your iphone you go on the site if it can't be solved your self you book a repair they send you a special box by courier thenext day FOR FREE and then come and collect it to be repairer they then repair or send you a new one FOR FREE under warranty taking only a few days to do the repair. No paying for shipping at all unlike most other companies!

Same goes for the macs.
07-17-2009, 03:27 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
it can't be done
The intended use is for a light-weight, already-in-pocket, waist level view finder for photo/video shooting.
Ok, thinking about it again ...

The next best thing to your idea (one which may be feasible), is this:

Connect a Sony PSP Go.

The PSP is about as small as an iPhone. It has the same problem as the iPhone as all its AV cables only feature video out. But: it is possible to connect a webcam via USB. E.g., see here:

YouTube - PSP Camera Extension Cable
YouTube - PSP Webcam USB CABLE (not go!cam!!!)

So, what remains to be found is an HDMI out to USB webcam out adapter. This may exist or may not exist (I fear not ...). What does exist are adapters for the other way round, USB to HDMI.

Last edited by falconeye; 07-17-2009 at 03:34 AM.
07-17-2009, 12:57 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
So I guess if this can't be done, I'm on the lookout for a small screen (5 inches or less) with HDMI to be my waist level finder. Falk do you know of such a portable LCD display?