Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2009, 11:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 lens correction

would this feature work on pentax lenses only,

Dave

07-16-2009, 12:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It works with Tamron and Sigma lenses, as long as it can Autofocus with the Pentax body.
07-16-2009, 01:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think the OP refers to the CA and distortion correction. I think we should assume it's a Pentax only thing for now. I don't think Pentax provided the necessary specs to third party lens makers to implement the necessary information in their chips. Sigma might try to reverse engineer it, but that doesn't mean they will get it right.

AF corrections will work with any AF lens indeed, *if* the camera correctly recognises the lens. I remember some Sigma lenses registering as a Pentax lens in the Pentax software, so there is always a chance that, since Sigma cloned the chips from existing Pentax lenses, the corrections for one of your Sigma lenses may be considered the same as the ones for one of your Pentax lenses by the camera...

Wim
07-16-2009, 01:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote

AF corrections will work with any AF lens indeed, *if* the camera correctly recognises the lens.

Wim
AF corrections doesn't work with ALL AF lenses. It works only with DA, D FA and DA L lenses. It doesn't work for FA lenses and older lenses.

07-16-2009, 04:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
AF corrections doesn't work with ALL AF lenses. It works only with DA, D FA and DA L lenses. It doesn't work for FA lenses and older lenses.
Upon reflection:
- Overall AF correction works with all AF lenses
- individual AF corrections work with lenses that have a chip built in and identify themselves to the body. I never tried F glass (first generation of chipped Pentax lenses), but all FA glass has the necessary information in their chip for sure. I would assume F glass as well, but I never tried. Depending on the generation of chips the third party reverse engineered theirs from (in case of differences between generations), AF corrections will work.

That said, CA and distortion correction is only for DA, D FA, DA* and DA L lenses.

Wim
07-16-2009, 04:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Oops. I made a mistake. I intended to write CA correction and distortion correction. That's what happen when you get up too early.
07-16-2009, 03:56 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
Oops. I made a mistake. I intended to write CA correction and distortion correction. That's what happen when you get up too early.
thanks for the reply
i recently bought a K7 which i look foward to getting in mid August and i like the K7 feature to CA correction and distortion correction
i was hoping to get either the pentax or tamron 18-250 lens as an allrounder, i am shying a bit away from the pentax as i was told that they are no longer will be producing this lens but i wonder if the K7 will do CA correction and distortion correction with the tamron

Dave
07-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Just a question, why would the lens going out of production after you've bought it be of any concern?

07-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Just a question, why would the lens going out of production after you've bought it be of any concern?
i bought it some time a back, they had some issue with shipping to the wrong place, by the time that got corrected , my ride for the lens was long gone, so i sent it back. always said things happen for a reason. not to long after, started reading, that pentax is not interested in producing that lens anymore, that 's when it struck me again, things happen for a reason.
so back to my original question
i recently bought a K7 which i look foward to getting in mid August and i like the K7 feature to CA correction and distortion correction
i was hoping to get either the pentax or tamron 18-250 lens as an allrounder, i am shying a bit away from the pentax as i was told that they are no longer will be producing this lens but i wonder if the K7 will do CA correction and distortion correction with the tamron

Dave