Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2009, 08:02 AM   #136

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I just took a peek because that sounded odd and what ya need to do is just add the camera to your shopping cart to see the actual price, which is $1109ish.

Also remember it's not B&H's fault about needing to add the item to the cart to see a different price, that is squarely on Hoya's shoulders due to their MAP agreements they require ALL vendors to sign in order to be "allowed" to buy from them. MAP = Minimum Advertised Price and is actually illegal in the state or Maryland where the law actually also covers any vendor who sells or advertises to residents of Maryland (dunno how they plan to enforce that but we'll see...) So, you will see almost all vendors do the exact same thing on their sites. It's a long story how this came to be known and I can post a link, though it's already in this thread I think...but it's a Hoya policy...so we gotta live with it and the extra steps of adding most things Pentax to the cart to see the real price.

Also, Pentax had a $100 instant rebate thing happening for pretty much all of October and it just ended on 10/31 as well...so prices have been pretty elastic the past week.

That wasn't quite what I meant, I meant that instead of saying (like they do for a lot of lenses) Call or See Website, their print drool book lists it at $1299 without an indication that you'd be silly to pay that. I was just slightly disappointed that Hoya wasn't smart enough to work with big vendors to lower the "official" price before the big catalogs went out, so people are compared already lowered Canon and Nikon prices with imaginary Pentax prices.

11-06-2009, 03:59 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Ya Mr. Mr. Guy...

Wow...did I completely WHIFF on your original comment...hahahaha...sorry about that. I hear what you are saying about the catalog or ad pricing. Though as far back as I can recall bigger electronics and camera sellers always did couple things you mention, use a "call for price" or a price with a slash. I've always found it pointless since I am not one to use the phone much at all. I completely dislike calling to order anything, in fact anymore if it can't be done online I figure I don't need it.

Something about the catalogs is the copy is sent to the printers something like 2-3 months early which is why prices in them are typically pretty far from reflecting current prices. So, I never buy using catalog numbers unless there was a super sale in the catalog. Far as I can remember is ever since prices have become so competitive, say that past three or so decades as catalog sales became more popular, that's been SOP...and annoying as heck!! hehehehe...

Thanks for s'plaining to me what you wrote compared to my "...selective reading disorder..." told me I read.
11-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #138
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
OT aside while we wait for price drops: I don't understand why B&H sends me hard-copy catalogs. Thank God for recycling!
What else do ya read in the, ahem, "Reading Room" or as others refer to it "The Throne Room"...?? It's perfect Reading Room material.

Actually I like the B&H catalog it's like old Crutchfield catalogs which had all things electronics. The mailers which bug me no end are the ones from Dell.
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM   #139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
What else do ya read in the, ahem, "Reading Room" or as others refer to it "The Throne Room"...??
I've got wireless connectivity

11-10-2009, 05:29 AM   #140
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Looks as if prices for now have settled in just under $1100...as of today 10/10/09 anyway. I had a laugh at the Amazon Warehouse price is back UP from ($960-something to OVER $1000)...I mean these are the SAME refurb/open-box returns that they had not long ago. In fact many of them likely were part of the rebate thing so there is a chance Amazon paid less for them at the time, but I am unsure how companies work instant rebates with the retailer.

Anyway just stopped to update prices after my 4AM pills and a pee...
11-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #141

Still waiting for that magical $999.99 or below price.

The longer I have to wait, the more insistent I am on having the price I want.
12-02-2009, 10:41 AM   #142

Photoloon.com

Photoloon.com seems to have excellent (and scarey) prices. Does anyone have experience with this company. They have the K7 for $979 - no shipping, no tax.

12-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #143
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by justhackett Quote
Photoloon.com seems to have excellent (and scarey) prices. Does anyone have experience with this company. They have the K7 for $979 - no shipping, no tax.
I would look them up at ResellerRatings.com (link in my signature). I doubt they are an authorized reseller which could affect your warranty. Or even worse you might not get your gear. So be careful.
12-03-2009, 03:55 AM   #144
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justhackett Quote
Their feedback looks suspect to me, especially the ones regarding business practices which also happens to be very recent ratings...very dodgy.

Photo Loon (also: primocameras.com) - photoloon.com - Reviews, Ratings and Prices at ResellerRatings

Jason
12-03-2009, 03:58 AM   #145
Veteran Member

I am doing very regular price searching since I plan to buy a K-7 within the next 10-15 days when I am back in the States for the Holidays....I hope something happens and they come down a bit more between now and then. The lowest thing I see still exceeds $1050 at Amazon.com (which is still way better than I am finding here in Athens...1000 euro, or about $1500)

Let's keep this thread alive and active for those searching for a K-7 before Christmas.

Jason
12-03-2009, 09:07 AM   #146

Amazon's prices haven't moved in a long time.

AND to top it off my K10D stopped working for good recently, and if I send it in I won't have it back in time for the holidays.

Looks like this will be a P&S Christmas for me...
12-04-2009, 12:16 AM   #147

The K-7 + 18-55 kit showed up in my Amazon Gold Box today for $1059.20. With the current $100 kit rebate, that's not a bad deal. Of course, the Gold Box is entirely YMMV.
12-04-2009, 01:51 AM   #148
Veteran Member

What is Gold box?
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #149

WOW, lucky you!!!
All my gold box ever shows is deals on kitchen crap and accessories for the P&S cameras I own.

But what rebate are you referring to?
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
WOW, lucky you!!!
All my gold box ever shows is deals on kitchen crap and accessories for the P&S cameras I own.

But what rebate are you referring to?
Click Here to find info about the mail-in rebate