Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 12:58 PM   #196
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just noticed K-7 at $979 from several stores on Amazon. Anyone think the price will be lower if we wait till April as opposed to getting it now?

02-07-2010, 01:47 PM   #197
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by walro Quote
Just noticed K-7 at $979 from several stores on Amazon. Anyone think the price will be lower if we wait till April as opposed to getting it now?
April is close enough away that I'd be very surprised if there was a big price drop by then. If you are willing to buy the K7 at $979, then I'd say go for it. I am literally waiting for a big price drop on the K7, similar to the K10 and K20. So in my case, I am perfectly fine still waiting, and using my K200D in the interim. But if $979 works for you, may as well jump in. It may drop $20, or $50, or who knows by April, but it is just a guess at this point.
02-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #198

Photos: Gallery
Be carefull who you are buying from. No store on amazon have it for $979. The lowest is $1025 which is the best value currently. Take for example camerakings.com
Pentax K7 , 14.6 Megapixel Digital SLR, Digital Camera (Body Only)

They have the pentax k7 for $909 . When i saw the price, i was shocked. I researched the seller, not surprised every single buyer complained about the bait and switch trick. After you order, they call you to tell you camera is out of stock, and try to sell you another camera with other accessories and warranty. If most cases if you asked for a refund they will will hassle you for a while until they have worked with your money then refund it to you. allot of people fall for this.

Do not buy from just any source because of price. Amazon is the best place to buy your k7. You will pay $1025 free shipping and a peace of mind with 30 days money back guaranteed and you don't even pay for shipping to return it.
02-07-2010, 02:21 PM   #199
Pentaxian

I'm very surprised the K-7 was able to retain it's price above 1,000 for this long. When I bought my K-7 back at Newegg when they came with the free sling bag deal for 1050 USD, I really thought the price would drop below 1,000 by the end of November, 2009. Even the 50D and D90 are cheaper too, and you can find the 50D used around 825-850 once in awhile; I would at least expect more K-7's to be in the market place but not as much as I thought it would be, considering many people are complaining about K-7's ISO against the K20D and K-x. I guess it's those who don't have the K-7 that is complaining since like all K-7 users, I am too satisfied to put it up for sale. You can wait it out but you never know what happens; if I hadn't of bought my K-7 I probably would've been disappointed waiting until now and still know that the K-7 didn't drop in price yet. You can wait for time, but time waits for no man. If you want it now then it's best to get it now, not to forget to mention about the superb rebate deal going on.

02-07-2010, 02:28 PM   #200
Forum Member

Alex, I saw this yesterday from two very highly rated stores. The one store only had four and within an hour, they only had two left. I'm thinking they just had some kind of specials going on. I'm guessing that within a month or two, Amazon's price will be around there too.
02-07-2010, 02:53 PM   #201

What are you the name of those reputable stores.
Just use common sense. If the profit margin of the k7 is 30% which i doubt, then if k7 retails for $1299, sellers would probably buy the Pentax k7 for $1000. Selelrs selling the k7 for Anything below $1000, they will lose money. Sellers on amazon who are selling the k7 for 1025 are most likely making $25 which is really nothing.

Anyone selling it bellow $1000 i would be very careful. Don't just look at price, look for the peace of mind after you buy the camera. What if something is wrong with it, what if it didn't came in a retail box, what if it's refurbished, what if seller doesn't accept return or charges fee for returns. Don't just limit the camera to price.

Some buyers even complained the box barcode being cutout. The seller probably used it to get the rebate.
02-07-2010, 03:24 PM   #202
Veteran Member

I had always set the $900 level as the price I'd move at and since I have a couple of big trips coming up in the next two months I decided to take a chance with camerakings.com last week who had the K7, body-only, listed at $899 (USD), free shipping. Per the UPS tracking site it is on schedule to arrive Tuesday.

Per cameraking's website, they raised the price back up to $909.

They did try to upsell me pretty hard on batteries/memory cards/lenses/etc., all of which had absurd margins and revealed where they make their money. I just politely keep saying no to all those and unless it turns out they are selling used cameras I think I got a deal.

I'll give you a report after the camera gets here. But be patient - of course I'll be out playing with it first!

Regards,
-tom
02-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #203

I hope you get what you bought so you don't have to go thru the hassle.
Below is a review i found on the web by one buyer who bought a cannon camera from them.

"What arrived was a camera in a box that was originally a camera kit with a lens. No warranty card. I confirmed with canon right when it arrived because I was suspicious, what they told me was "if there's no warranty card in the box, it's not a canon usa product. There is one warranty card printed per camera with the serial number on it."

I don' t really know if it works the same with pentax. But just thought i make you aware of this.

02-09-2010, 04:39 AM   #204
Veteran Member

Finally K-7 is below $1000 at B&H.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/622079-REG/Pentax_17811_K_7_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Last edited by cbaytan; 02-11-2010 at 03:36 PM. Reason: correct link
02-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #205
Veteran Member

Prices keep fluctuating. Latest Google Products search show Abe's of Maine with a price of $999.00. You can use coupon "email10" to knock another $10 off bringing the price to $989.00. This is for body only.

Maybe we'll see $899 during or after PMA 2010?
02-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #206

There are K-7's available all over the net for under $900, go to nextag.com and search, they will direct you to the appropriate retailers.

Today's best price is $869, not bad.

They also have a price history chart where one can see how the prices changes.

There was another retailer that had the K-7 for $700 (just body) but their website is experiencing temporary troubles. Would be happy to share it with interested parties.
02-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #207
Veteran Member

Yeah, but those retailers who currently have the K7 for under $900 are questionable when you look them up on resellerratings.
02-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tpeace Quote
I'll give you a report after the camera gets here. But be patient - of course I'll be out playing with it first!
The K7 body arrived Tuesday night, warranty in tact and all. Spent about an hour with the manual while the battery was charging then started testing it out with the inventory of lenses. I'm impressed with the low light focusing ability, much better than my K20 could ever do. I'll have to get used to the smaller frame size. I use the AF button in lieu of the half-shutter AF control and my thumb doesn't reach this control as ergonomically as it does on the more bulky K20. I do have some soft focus issues with one of my lenses so I'll have to figure out the lens adjustment option.

I was going to give it a full field test at a basketball game last night but that got cancelled at the last moment so I'll have to wait til the weekend for the true field test. I will be in a number of National Parks in Utah next week so I'm sure I'll give it a workout there.

Had it not been for my planned trip next week, I'd have probably waited until the end of the Photo Marketing Association (PMA) convention this week since I suspect this will cause a round of downward price moves.

All in all, I have no complaints about my expereince with Camerakings. They did sneak in a higher than expected handling fee but I still got the K7 for $943 USD after all taxes and fees. Of course YMMV and you should do your homework researching any on-line seller. I had read the reviews and was comfortable that the negative ones were as much buyer issues and seller issues.

Regards,
-t
02-20-2010, 09:35 AM   #209
Site Supporter

Tom, I'm curious as to any updates/observations on the indoor sporting event photography and your K7 - did you have a chance to try it out and how did it go?

Thanks,
Marc
02-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #210
Inactive Account

K7 is the Amazon Goldbox deal today ... $899 body only or $999 with kit.