Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Morb Quote
I too would be interested in how this turns out for you and who you have used...hope it's all good...

Mark
Hi
The bloke bought 2 in from hong kong 1 for himself and 1 other,it should be here tomorrow so fingers crossed,you can by them on ebay for £799 inc postage from a vendor in Hong Kong but the cost of possible vat and customs costs puts it roughly the same as buying in europe.
Im a bit worried about the warranty as it has to go back to Hong Kong but for a £400 saving Im gambling on the reliability of my K10 carrying over to the K7 (I'm puckered up reading about the overheating sensor issues).

07-17-2009, 05:08 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
And as I recall when I was deciding between the 40D and K20D the K20D was still about $900-$1000ish in June of 2008, might have been more but I seem to remember it was still cheaper than the 40D.

BTW, I think the deal of the day right now is the K20D at Amazon for $605...

Amazon.com: Pentax K20D 14.6MP Digital SLR Camera with Shake Reduction (Body Only): Camera & Photo
I think I paid around 1049 when I bought my K20D June 2008 and it was a good deal then... amusingly, I too was considering it vs the 40D, but unlike you I ended up with the K20D and later switched the other way.
07-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
I think I paid around 1049 when I bought my K20D June 2008 and it was a good deal then... amusingly, I too was considering it vs the 40D, but unlike you I ended up with the K20D and later switched the other way.
Now that is either irony or serendipity I am not sure which fits better...still, kinda funny!! Wanna buy a 40D? hehehehehe.....
07-17-2009, 06:15 AM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can pretty much guarantee that the price will hold till the new year. We might see a drop to $1199.00 in the US but I'd say that's about it. The K20D is staying in the line until the new year and is still in production. There will be no pressure to drop the price on the K-7 till all the remaining K20D's have cleared the system.

What I'm surprised about is the big drop on the K20D. That's dirt cheap for a great camera. If I were buying a body right now, that's the one I'd get without a second thought.

07-17-2009, 06:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

OK, I am just cheap...I love the camera but will not buy until the price bottoms out for the first time under $1000...I am shooting for $899. Especially given the fact the lenses are getting more expensive.

S
I feel the same way. The "latest & greatest" are always way overpriced when they first appear, to make as much money as they can from those who have to have it "yesterday".
I'll pick one up next year when they've dropped to the price level of what a K20D is selling for today, when the next "latest & greatest" model is ready for release. Until that time, I guess unfortunate, clueless shooters like us will have to manage with the "outdated" equipment we're currently shooting with.
07-17-2009, 07:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I am equally cheap. If I do buy a K7 it will probably be around the time the K8 or whatever the next big thing will be called is released. When I bought my K10D, I planned on getting at least 5 years or more out of my camera. The K7 has some nice improvements that may make me consider the purchase but the price will have to drop. My youngest still has another year of college, one vehicle has over 200,000 miles, another160,000miles and another car purchase is coming up. There are a couple of lenses I want get first.
07-18-2009, 01:58 AM   #22

Well its here and charging,not long till i find out if ive got a bargain or an expensive paperweight
07-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timk Quote
Well its here and charging,not long till i find out if ive got a bargain or an expensive paperweight
If it is a paperweight you are after, just whack it a few times with a 32oz checker faced framing hammer, that should get it into proper adjustment to function as a paperweight.

Seriously, congrats and ENJOY!

07-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by timk Quote
I assume that means you didn't get stung for customs and VAT charges then?
07-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Mark Morb Quote
I assume that means you didn't get stung for customs and VAT charges then?
No,he lives in the Uk so sent it from here.
07-18-2009, 06:19 AM   #26
Pentaxian

If it is a paperweight you are after, just whack it a few times with a 32oz checker faced framing hammer, that should get it into proper adjustment to function as a paperweight.

Seriously, congrats and ENJOY!
I did that to my last Nikon.
I find a ball peen does a much better job.
07-19-2009, 03:46 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I did that to my last Nikon.
I find a ball peen does a much better job.
Oh, gawd priceless!! Now the important issue...if there are no pictures, it never happened. hehehehe....had a client that was a golf course and one of their monitors died, once they were told the bad news after I installed the new one, as in took it out of the box...we all went out to the driving range and hit 1-irons into the old one...the head pro was that PO'd!! funniest thing I had ever seen. Completely classic computer frustration venting!

PRICE DROP!!! And a BIG ONE on the K7 Saturday AM on Amazon...it was $1299.95 and dropped to $1299.00...that is HUGE!! In fact they must be responding to the heat issues the sensor is having for a fair number of folks, maybe all and many just do not know about it. So, it might be time to make your move and jump on this amazing savings from Amazon!
07-19-2009, 02:53 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Price at Park Cameras and LCE in the UK has 'dropped' to £1,149.99

£30 drop since release/availability
07-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Unless the economy perks up this fall, I think you'll see it at $999 for xmas.

The big question is whether or not there is a K30d in the pipeline, or if that form factor just fades off into the sunset, with a weatherproof Km and K7 being the lineup.
07-19-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Unless the economy perks up this fall, I think you'll see it at $999 for xmas.

The big question is whether or not there is a K30d in the pipeline, or if that form factor just fades off into the sunset, with a weatherproof Km and K7 being the lineup.
Oh god I hope not! I think a K200d replacement is a way smarter choice than a KM "update." I know Im not the only one who thinks this either.

I think they need to keep at least 3 different models going..... preferably 4 (FF/K30d or what ever)