Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Groucho Quote
Ahhh, I didn't realize that (or, more likely, I totally forgot.) I guess that helps me feel better about not ordering from them! I know they're suing NYS to not have to pay tax there any longer, hopefully they will succeed with that; it definitely makes Amazon less attractive to buy from. In this case, though, NewEgg is definitely cheaper even forgetting the tax, and they tend to ship faster.

I don't know if Newegg is an authorized Pentax dealer or not -- should that be important to you. I like newegg a lot and buy stuff from them often, however they tend to not be an authorized dealer for many big name consumer electronic brands they carry.

09-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #77
Veteran Member

I don't know if they are or not; they are not listed on Pentax's site (but are the ones they list really the only authorized online dealers? That seems like an awfully short list even for Pentax)... as long as I get a proper USA-warranty K-7, I'll be happy. Otherwise, it'll probably be going back.

It figures that after I mentioned that they usually ship very quickly, mine hasn't moved past the "charged" stage yet. Maybe tomorrow they'll have shipping info... I will report back here when I do get it.
09-26-2009, 12:02 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
You know I have long wondered how much water this idea of being able to deny a warranty if an item is not purchased from an other than an "authorized" retailer. It is not like it's on the box or blatantly obvious anywhere before you pay for the item. I just do not see how it can stand US Uniform Commercial Code standards or even a small claims court ruling.

I don't know if we all just assume it is legal and valid because these companies say so and have buildings of lawyers to do nothing but step on the small guy.
09-26-2009, 08:05 AM   #79

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Amazon now down to $1,151.89...

09-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CX15 Quote
beachcamera @ ebay w/ bing cashback was USD $1100 yesterday
09-27-2009, 09:53 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$1000 and change

I just got my K-7 last week - bought it for $1005 by using two discounts. I had been waiting for the price to fall to $1000 and figured that this was close enough...

I purchased it from eBay seller Masonjersey (Audio Video Express) as a BIN and used a PayPal 10% off coupon plus Bing cashback. I had never heard of this seller but with PayPal protection I was willing to take a chance. The camera arrived in several days and was NIB as advertised. Shipping was free and a Pentax three year extended warranty was included. Sweet!
09-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #82

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesk8752 Quote
I just got my K-7 last week - bought it for $1005 by using two discounts. I had been waiting for the price to fall to $1000 and figured that this was close enough...
Now I'm jealous!!
Just ordered mine from a local dealer for the equivalent of US$1070. Only comes with 1 year warranty though :-(

Anyway - pick-up tomorrow!!

09-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Argh! I've been out-dealed! I didn't even think about looking for a reliable dealer like Beach on eBay... I bought my DL and K100D from Beach and had my K20D ordered through them but they were slow to get stock so I got it from Amazon instead.

Oh well, I do have a nice old Takumar 300mm F4 with 18 aperture blades (!) on its way that Bing helped pay for, to keep the K-7 company. The camera should arrive on Wednesday... can't wait!
09-28-2009, 05:08 AM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by CX15 Quote
Does anybody know if Pentax honors the 3-year extended K-7 warranty if bought direct from Amazon?

It seems that only a few internet retailers mention any warranty information at all.
09-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #85
Veteran Member

A quick search on ebay

finds one dealer with the k-7 at $1,099.00 and free shipping for USA.

Using the 8% bing discount + the ebates.com 2% off for ebay = pretty good
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DougB_NJ Quote
Does anybody know if Pentax honors the 3-year extended K-7 warranty if bought direct from Amazon?

It seems that only a few internet retailers mention any warranty information at all.
Just in case here are some inexpensive options:

Amazon.com: Pentax Warranty 1-Year Standard & 2-Years Extended Warranty for K Series Digital SLR Cameras 80248: Electronics

Amazon.com: Pentax 2 Year Extended Warranty for K7 Digital SLR Camera (Total Warranty 3 years - 1 Year Standard + 2 Years Additional): Electronics

I am willing to bet they are the same warranty so coin toss which to by if you want to be certain. HoyaTax has not given me a very cozy feeling in the warranty area since I bought into the system. I honestly feel better dealing with Sigma after some of the things I have read here...but then again we usually only read when something goes awry and even then we probably never get the real story.
09-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #87
Veteran Member

My K-7 arrived from NewEgg today! Whoo!

I got nervous when I opened it and instead of a warranty card, it had a serial number card that specifically said that it was not a warranty card. There was an international warranty service locater paper inside with USA stuff, and it had the rebate info for other lenses (unfortunately I have the only ones I'm interested in on the list already!) so it is definitely a USA one, not grey market.

Before tearing open the rest of it, I called Pentax and they assured me that yes, I will have the full 3-year warranty. They suggested emailing them the serial number, contact info, and receipt to pentaxinfo@pentax.com to make sure they have a record of it, which I will do tonight.

In the meantime, the battery is charging.
09-30-2009, 04:18 PM   #88
Forum Member

K7 Packaging

I ordered and received my K7 body from Amazon.com. It did not come sealed. By sealed I mean plastic wrap around the Pentax box. Per a live chat with Pentax they ship to their dealers with the plastic wrap around the box. My question is has anyone else ordered from Amazon or any other authorized dealer and had this same experience? It just seems fishy to me, like the camera could be a return.

Thanks.......
09-30-2009, 06:52 PM   #89
Veteran Member

I don't think any of my Pentaxes (DL, K100D, K20D, and now K-7) have come in plastic wrap. I don't think Amazon would be caught selling returns as new.

For anyone on the fence about buying a K-7, two words: fast and quiet! Wow!
10-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #90

I definitely don't remember getting plastic wrap from Adorama, and since mine was day one there's extremely little chance of it being a return.