Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2009, 08:35 PM   #91
Forum Member

Amazon Return

OK..........now that the price has plummeted at least $200 from the $1300 I paid and Amazon no longer has the price protection, what is preventing me from just returning the darn thing and purchasing at the lower price somewhere else? I see Beach Camera is down to $1099 including the 3-year warranty. That is hard to pass up.........

10-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Returning it for any reason other than being defective means you'll have to pay the shipping costs. Plus there's the value of your time and hassle.

If you can justify all that in the name of a few bucks, by all means have at it. Or you could just enjoy your awesome camera and realize that early adopters always pay a premium.
10-02-2009, 05:59 AM   #93

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The most painfull part of buying the K7 is...
waiting...
for..
the..
battery...
to...
charge................
10-02-2009, 10:11 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CX15 Quote
The most painfull part of buying the K7 is...
waiting...
for..
the..
battery...
to...
charge................
What about the wayching it bounch around the USPS/UPS/FedEx tracking systems? Don't forget that fun part!! ]8^|

10-04-2009, 10:23 PM   #95
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlmightyPentax Quote
When I was at the road show last month I was told by a pentax sales guy that "October will be a great time to buy a K7 *wink*"

Take that however you want to. I've got my money set aside. We'll see what happens in october.
I wonder if the rep was talking about the current $100 Rebate...at least it's an instant rebate but still it's just a way to get people used to higher prices by the time it goes away.

Cheapest price I found today is a refurb from Amazon for $1044.99...otherwise you can find an updated list from some of the larger sellers here in the first post:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/670337-post1.html
10-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #96
Forum Member

Photo Loon

Not sure how legit Photo Loon is, but they are advertising the K7 for $999. Cheapest I've seen so far.

PhotoLoon
10-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
PHOTOLOON.COM Reviews 1 - 10 of 164. (0.03 seconds)

Average rating

4.2 / 5
Based on 164 reviews

Show
All reviews (164)
Positive reviews (127)
Neutral reviews (7)
Negative reviews (27)

10-05-2009, 06:29 PM   #98

I was going to sell my K10D around xmas and buy a K-7. But not sure how much better the K-7 is going to serve me over the K10D.

My main frustrations with the K10D are

- terrible PTT-L performance
- low light focusing (even some daytime ones in high contrast situations)
- ISO only usable up to 400, anything over that and it's a waste of a picture.
- size

Considering that the K-7 is a new model, not sure if I should wait for the K-8 (or whatever the model may be) or just buy what's available now.

Other option is a K20D but it only fixed 1 out of the 4 problems I have with the K10D.
10-05-2009, 09:42 PM   #99
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imagesforyou Quote
Not sure how legit Photo Loon is, but they are advertising the K7 for $999. Cheapest I've seen so far.

PhotoLoon
To me I would say they are a "roll of the dice" sorta site. According to ResellerRatings.com they are related to primocameras.com. Combined both have good and bad reviews, hard to know which is which but I will say if you do a Whois look-up photoloon.com you will find they run only out of a PO Box addy. That is neither good or bad, but it gives me pause to wonder if it is worth $50-$100 less to buy from them rather than a more established retailer. The reviews also suggest some degree of "up-selling" of online orders under the guise of verifying the order on the phone. If you never had to deal with it, you are fortunate because it is a very frustrating experience and can often have adverse affects on your order ever being shipped.

Whois Info:

Whois: Photoloon.com

Whois: Primocamera.com

Still, there is nothing saying they are not bad to deal with, every company was once small.
10-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #100

At least you got a battery...

Here's my story so far. After having an *istDS for 4.5 years, I decided to order a K-7 over this past weekend. I placed the order with Willoughbys who I ordered items from before and never had trouble. They're an authorized dealer for Pentax, so given that and the decent price, I went with them.

So, when I received my K-7 this evening, there was NO BATTERY in the box....[sigh]. Everything else looked OK, except that the plastic bag and bubble-bag that should've contained the battery was empty. No battery in the camera itself.

These sort-of things always seem to happen to me. So I'm wondering which of the following is the reason:

- Someone opened the box in the store to use the battery for a demo.
- It was used at the counter for store demos.
- The K-7 was a return, though I don't see any obvious signs of that.
- It was somehow missing when packaged at Pentax, though I doubt it.

I looked at the lens mount and can see *very slight* scratches as if a lens had been mounted there before, but don't know if that could be from Pentax's own QC.

Of course they were closed by the time I found out, so I have to wait until tomorrow to see what they'll do. I will not accept a 3rd party battery or one that's been used. I really almost want to return the whole thing at this point and buy it from B&H.

There's no tape or seal on the box indicating it was never opened and wish Pentax would start doing that.

Any thoughts?
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #101
Forum Member

DougB_NJ,

If that would happen to me I'd be sending the whole thing back. There is no reasonable reason the battery would be missing from a brand new unused package. Who knows where the thing could have been, but I agree, it is unlikely Pentax forgot to put the battery in the box.

Pentax does not seal their K7 boxes from what I can see. I base this on the fact that I've ordered two from two different suppliers and both were not sealed. I also went to the local camera dealer and looked at one they had just received. It too was not sealed. I'm guessing maybe they do that so the dealers can open up the boxes and show/demo the camera a customer is interested in purchasing without tearing open a seal and/or damaging the box.
10-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #102
Veteran Member

While the forums were down, Amazon dropped their price on the K-7 to $1051. I think it's about time for me to pull the trigger on this one.
10-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #103
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DougB_NJ Quote
...when I received my K-7 this evening, there was NO BATTERY in the box....[sigh].
So I'm wondering which of the following is the reason: ....
- The K-7 was a return, though I don't see any obvious signs of that. ...
I really almost want to return the whole thing at this point and buy it from B&H.
Yeah, it was probably a return, and the first purchaser "forgot" to include the battery when they sent the camera back.

But you're just as likely to see that situation with B&H. I ordered a Hoya 86mm PL polarizer filter from B&H last month, and incredibly they sent me a Kowa(?) UV filter, rattling loose in a thick polarizer case. (You can tell PL from UV from 10 feet away, of course.) It happens.

The folks at B&H were super nice about it, though, even sending me a pre-paid UPS shipping label so I could return the bum filter to them at no cost to me. They, on the other hand, were out the $106 they probably refunded to the jerk who duped them.
10-17-2009, 01:54 AM   #104
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just updated the prices and they are creeping down to that $1k level...
10-17-2009, 02:53 PM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Just updated the prices and they are creeping down to that $1k level...
That Amazon open box return is now under a grand. I know it doesn't sound perfect (cosmetic blemishes and what not), but I am surprised noone has snapped it up yet. I have actually had pretty good experiences with open box merchandise at Amazon (got my Tammy 28-75 that way at a great price). I'm still waiting for further drops, otherwise I'd probably take a chance with this. I believe it has the same 30-day return policy, so it is low risk if it actually shows up worse than you want.