Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2009, 02:43 AM   #121
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
K-7 body just dropped to 1029 on Amazon! Too bad I bought mine from Newegg at 1049, but at least it came with a free Pentax SLR sling bag to compensate.
Thanks for the info. The price from Amazon is $1049 with free standard 2-day shipping. The $1029 price is from Willoughby's and free 3-5 day shipping. Willoughby's wants, now sit down, $80 to ship 2-day selivery. ZOIKES!!

I think you did better buying from Newegg rather than Willoughby's. While I have never had issue with them in the handful of items I purchased from them via Amazon's site, I recall reading some folks have had mixed results with them, but that might have been a few years ago and companies deserve a chance to improve if they want people's business. I will add the Willoughby's price to the list though. But given my druthers, and my Amazon Prime membership, no brainer for me to order from Amazon and get it next day for $1053 total...Amazon Prime is a good thing! hehehehehe.....

I am in CA so I usually do not order from Newegg on higher priced items because of the near 10% sales tax. But their return policy on lenses is really worth it. I bought a Canon 55-250 last year from them and it somehow developed some dust inside, their policy was a replacement with a new lens if there were any issues during the first year. hard to beat that with a stick. Not sure of that is still their deal. But for some lenses with a history of issues, it's better than the MFG warranty. Plus my CC gives me 2x the MFG warranty so I got a one year new lens replaement as well as an extra year repair or full purchase price refund if the repair exceeded the price of the lens new. hard to say no for such deals, even if one pays the sales tax!

10-24-2009, 05:30 AM   #122
Veteran Member

Re: Willoughbys, I consider them to be in the second tier of the NY/NJ shops, along with Abes of Maine, Tri-State and the like. Adorama and B&H being in the first tier. Newegg, Beach Camera and Buydig are great also. I've never had a problem with any of them to be honest, and frankly, even with free shipping and not selecting expedited shipping, I find I get my products next day or 2-day anyway (Newegg being a bit slower). With Newegg, I have the option of getting stuff shipped to my NYC office (no tax in NY).

Anyway, the K-7 price is moving in the right direction, but still has a ways to go for me.
10-27-2009, 03:59 AM   #123
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
Re: Willoughbys, I consider them to be in the second tier of the NY/NJ shops, along with Abes of Maine, Tri-State and the like. Adorama and B&H being in the first tier. Newegg, Beach Camera and Buydig are great also. I've never had a problem with any of them to be honest, and frankly, even with free shipping and not selecting expedited shipping, I find I get my products next day or 2-day anyway (Newegg being a bit slower). With Newegg, I have the option of getting stuff shipped to my NYC office (no tax in NY).

Anyway, the K-7 price is moving in the right direction, but still has a ways to go for me.
Good info on Willoughby's though I have had OK results with them via Amazom. Still, like Abe's uless given a too-good-to-refuse deal, I also would put them as a 2nd or 3rd tier seller.

Also, prices inched down a bit this week. The free Pentax Sling bag with K7 from Newegg is kinda nice for those who don't have to pay $90 in sales tax...maybe we might even see a sub-$900 price sometime in January?
11-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #124

I'm still holding out a little longer, since my wife visibly cringes every time I mention that I want to buy a camera that costs more than $1,000.00.

But my K10D stopped working recently and needs to be sent in for repairs, and I'd like to have a K-7 for taking family photos when Christmas comes around.

Got my fingers crossed that it'll drop to $950 by the beginning of December...

11-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #125
Veteran Member

Amazon lists in the basket for $1029 right now...I bet it drops to sub 1000 at Thanksgiving and even lower by Christmas...which is when I will be purchasing mine

Jason
11-03-2009, 07:00 AM   #126
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget Black Friday (day after Thanksgiving). That could be an opportune day to look around at the various e-tail sites.
11-03-2009, 10:28 AM   #127
Veteran Member

That $1029 at Amazon right now is the price from Willoughby's. The price directly from Amazon has jumped from $1020 to $1074 as of this morning.

Let's hope that's a brief "blip"...
11-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #128

Amazon's body-only price is now $1,108.31
Amazon's kit price is now $1,101.89

...is it just me or is it idiotic for them to price it so that you pay MORE for the privilege of NOT getting a lens?

11-04-2009, 10:54 PM   #129
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
Amazon's body-only price is now $1,108.31
Amazon's kit price is now $1,101.89

...is it just me or is it idiotic for them to price it so that you pay MORE for the privilege of NOT getting a lens?
Thanks for the update on the body-only price...I checked it at about 4am Pacific Time and it was only $1020ish...other sellers also took $100+ jumps since a few days before today while others remained pretty steady.

One of the only things that bugs me with Amazon is the very volatile pricing items can have. In fact I have run into situations where a friend would see one price and I would see another with the differences being rather significant.

As far as the reason a kit might be cheaper, often those are promotional packages that were significantly discounted to the retailer to help boost sales. And yeah, no 'bout-a-doubt-it' the kit is a better deal...if it's still to be found that is...
Oh, I went ahead and updated as many prices as I had time for this AM...thanks again!!

EDIT: I ran across a good price, $1015, with free shipping at Tri-State. I have read mixed info on Tri-State when buying direct but I have spent a few grand with them via ebay or Amazon w/o any probs or upselling crap...anyway, see the first post to get the link...

First post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/670337-post1.html

Last edited by brecklundin; 11-04-2009 at 11:03 PM. Reason: added another online source...
11-05-2009, 12:39 PM   #130

How irksome. Finally got a chance to flip through the BHPhotoVideo Christmas (Winter sale? Hanukkah?) catalog and was disappointed to see the K-7 listed at full MSRP $1299. While I understand some of the reasoning, it's still a little annoying that it looks $200 more expensive than it actually is.
11-05-2009, 03:06 PM   #131
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mister Guy Quote
How irksome. Finally got a chance to flip through the BHPhotoVideo Christmas (Winter sale? Hanukkah?) catalog and was disappointed to see the K-7 listed at full MSRP $1299. While I understand some of the reasoning, it's still a little annoying that it looks $200 more expensive than it actually is.
I just took a peek because that sounded odd and what ya need to do is just add the camera to your shopping cart to see the actual price, which is $1109ish.

Also remember it's not B&H's fault about needing to add the item to the cart to see a different price, that is squarely on Hoya's shoulders due to their MAP agreements they require ALL vendors to sign in order to be "allowed" to buy from them. MAP = Minimum Advertised Price and is actually illegal in the state or Maryland where the law actually also covers any vendor who sells or advertises to residents of Maryland (dunno how they plan to enforce that but we'll see...) So, you will see almost all vendors do the exact same thing on their sites. It's a long story how this came to be known and I can post a link, though it's already in this thread I think...but it's a Hoya policy...so we gotta live with it and the extra steps of adding most things Pentax to the cart to see the real price.

Also, Pentax had a $100 instant rebate thing happening for pretty much all of October and it just ended on 10/31 as well...so prices have been pretty elastic the past week.
11-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #132
Pentaxian

Best price in Canada $ 1379.00 CAD...don't know what the difference is between the CAD and USD.
11-05-2009, 08:06 PM   #133
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Best price in Canada $ 1379.00 CAD...don't know what the difference is between the CAD and USD.
Where if I may know?
11-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #134

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
Where if I may know?
Retail at Aden Camera
You can do MUCH better at Prodigital 2000 though on ebay, $1199 CAD + free shipping buy it now price with the option to offer lower.
11-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #135
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
OT aside while we wait for price drops: I don't understand why B&H sends me hard-copy catalogs. Thank God for recycling!