Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2009, 10:27 PM   #151

If you've routinely purchased from Amazon.com, they'll gather your purchase history and through suggestions at you that they think might interest you. You can find the link at the amazon.com main page at the top where it says "Today's Deals" next to a little gold treasure chest type of box.

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
What is Gold box?

12-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #152

Photos: Gallery
use bing cashback for 20% off the walmart.com price and submit the pentax rebate to get it sub-$1K.
12-04-2009, 11:31 PM   #153

With current rebates and cashback, one could buy the kit, sell the lens and end up with a sub $900 K-7 body.
12-05-2009, 01:32 AM   #154
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ricosuave Quote
use bing cashback for 20% off the walmart.com price and submit the pentax rebate to get it sub-$1K.
What are you searching on to find a 20% Bing Cashback deal at Walmart? Best I see is 8% at a couple places and nothing for WallyWorld.

EDIT: Figured it out just search using

walmart pentax k-7

and the WallyWorld link will come up. Here is the K-7 Kit with the 18-55WR:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=12561208

Thing is they want $1248 for the kit, less 20% that makes it $998 but you pay sales tax, from all but a handful of states, based on the $1248 (not the Bing cashback price) which, for me as an example, puts the price back up at $998+$109.40 = $1107.40....better deal for me from Amazon.

The sales tax has long been the issue with buying from WallyWorld vs. Amazon. In the end it is almost always at best a wash and usually Amazon works out to cheaper. In fact odds might be even with 8% on buying on eBay there is a better deal to be had there. I would rather deal with one of the big retailers selling on eBay or buy from Amazon than deal with WallyWorld.

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-05-2009 at 01:51 AM.
12-05-2009, 05:03 AM   #155
Veteran Member

I'd prefer to see a decent price on the body only and forget the kit lens purchase, then selling, etc.

If I cant get the K-7 body only at or below $1000 but the 20th or so of December, I may end up keeping my K10D for another year...it's still as good as the day I bought it!

Jason
12-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #156
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
I'd prefer to see a decent price on the body only and forget the kit lens purchase, then selling, etc.

If I cant get the K-7 body only at or below $1000 but the 20th or so of December, I may end up keeping my K10D for another year...it's still as good as the day I bought it!

Jason
I prefer just buying a body, normally. But in this case I might bite on a kit with the 18-55 WR or even the 55-200WR just to have a knock around WR lense. I did the same with my 40D which came with the 28-135mm USM lense...used it for a few months then sold it reducing my price on the 40D by enough so that when I sold it a year later I only lost $50 on the deal and used the camera for a whole year. Then I sunk the cash in new Pentax gear.

About your second paragraph...that makes zero sense to me??? Why would you have to wait a year if the price is not under $1000 in a couple weeks? So it drops in January and you will just not buy one even though you, apparently, want one? It just does not seem clear to me why you state it the way you do. Im soooo confused!! hehehehe...
12-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #157

How to get the K-7 Body for $800

This may be rather mischievous, but here's how to get the K-7 body for $800:

Go to Bing and type in "Nintendo Wii." You'll see that one of the links says 15% Bing Cashback for eBay (someone suggested this in one of the K-x threads). From my understanding during that particular eBay session the 15% will hold no matter what you buy (with any "buy it now"). Click on this and then find Beach Camera's K-7 kit with the WR 18-55mm kit lens. The price is $1149. So you then have the following scenario:

$1149
- $172 Bing Cashback (might have to wait 60 days)
= $977

$977
- $100 Rebate (gift card) offer from Pentax
= $877

$877
- $77 Sell the WR kit lens on eBay, etc.
= $800

12-05-2009, 01:10 PM   #158
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no clue where you are getting there is a 15% Bing cashback on eBay. It is 8% last time I looked and has not been 15% for about a year or more. Still if that works for you it's only about $85 more total to you...and you can sell the WR lit lens here for more than $77...dude even if you pay 3.5%+$0.35 that is only about $3.85 MAX (add like 1% for international sales) in PP fees if the lens sells for $100. That is why it cracks me up when these cheap sorts want to add PP fees. In fact now there is a way to send a "personal payment" FREE via PP, free on both ends.
12-06-2009, 12:22 AM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote

About your second paragraph...that makes zero sense to me??? Why would you have to wait a year if the price is not under $1000 in a couple weeks? So it drops in January and you will just not buy one even though you, apparently, want one? It just does not seem clear to me why you state it the way you do. Im soooo confused!! hehehehe...
I will have to wait a year (or until such time as I find myself back in the USA for whatever reason) in order to buy the K-7 at a decent price. I live in Athens, Greece for about 90% of the year and paying a high price in Euros doesn't make sense to me. I can wait!

Jason
12-06-2009, 04:27 AM   #160
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ahhhh...sorry for missing that part (whoops!! )..now it makes sense and I see why it could be a problem to buy a kit & sell the WR lens as well. I figured Pentax would have dropped about $100 for the holiday season but none of the other brands seem to have dropped new models or even not exactly new models, like the 50D either. I guess they might figure people who will spend $950 for a body will drop $100ish more right now.
12-06-2009, 04:02 PM   #161

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
no clue where you are getting there is a 15% Bing cashback on eBay. It is 8% last time I looked and has not been 15% for about a year or more. Still if that works for you it's only about $85 more total to you...and you can sell the WR lit lens here for more than $77...dude even if you pay 3.5%+$0.35 that is only about $3.85 MAX (add like 1% for international sales) in PP fees if the lens sells for $100. That is why it cracks me up when these cheap sorts want to add PP fees. In fact now there is a way to send a "personal payment" FREE via PP, free on both ends.
Here's the trick tho - go to bing shopping site, and do not earch for K-7 or anything, instead, search for Nintendo wii (Playstation3 and xbobx360 might work too),and voila, look to the right column and you will see the eBay 15% cash back offer.

I used this trick to buy my laptop and got 15% off.
12-06-2009, 04:13 PM   #162
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote
Here's the trick tho - go to bing shopping site, and do not earch for K-7 or anything, instead, search for Nintendo wii (Playstation3 and xbobx360 might work too),and voila, look to the right column and you will see the eBay 15% cash back offer.

^^^^THIS^^^^
12-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #163
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Katsura Quote

I have always used that trick since the Live.com 30% days...as recently as the other day I was still only getting the 8% so COOL it's back up.

I will say that since the advent of these Live.com/bing.com cashback programs, sellers have RAISED prices on the BIN items (and not related to price increases in general but in direct relation to the Cashback percentage). That is because sellers see it as a way of giving discounts w/o it costing the seller any profit, in fact it actually INCREASES their profit margins. To me it is an inflationary practice which has a net effect of saving consumers nothing in reality absent the "cashback rebate". And it's not only camera gear sellers I see doing this, it is almost all retail type sellers as well as sellers of used tech gear.

I would say to calculate the actual price and compare to Amazon or other larger retailer because I have found that Amazon will usually adjust their price according to the averages found on eBay using the discount. Well, it was that way last year anyway.

So, great find that it's back to 15% so if anyone is waiting now might be the time for using it as there is a history of NOT staying up there more that a few days. Last year for this period it was up to around 20% after dropping to around 15% for the period leading up to these couple weeks before christmas.

My point is to use the cashback being up NOW before the sellers adjust or the amount decreases as it gets closer to christmas.
12-07-2009, 08:04 AM   #164
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Search for panasonic on bing and cash back is 20% now.
Some k-7's are $1049 with free ship. Max cash back is $200 per item so this makes it $850 to you!

UPDATE Ebay back down to 8% now.

Last edited by frooggy; 12-07-2009 at 12:43 PM.
12-07-2009, 08:09 AM   #165
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by frooggy Quote
Search for panasonic on bing and cash back is 20% now.
Some k-7's are $1049 with free ship. Max cash back is $200 per item so this makes it $850 to you!
NICE!!! And I saw yesterday that there are a few sellers who have NOT raised prices. I wonder if that is why Bing/Live.com decided to periodically change the discount, because some sellers were hiking prices up? No matter...great FIND...seems like a good time to buy if someone is in the market right now.

Unfortunately I am a good 2-weeks away from being ready to buy. sniff...sniff...

Don;t forget, if you buy from an authorized Pentax dealer and buy the actual Pentax K-7 kit you can get the $100 rebate for buying a K-7 & lense at the same time (same invoice), I think?