Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2010, 07:33 AM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by silentbob007 Quote
K7 is the Amazon Goldbox deal today ... $899 body only or $999 with kit.
Yup...I goofed and posted a new thread in the Lens section...d'oh!! But, thanks for adding the info here for me...I've been very, very lazy in keeping this info updated, mostly because the prices have been so stagnant. Here is the other thread, hoping they can move it over here...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/91250-amazon-d...tml#post928941

02-22-2010, 07:46 AM   #212
Veteran Member

I saw the Amazon deal. Definitely moving in the right direction, and a great deal for some, but still not far enough for me. I still love my K200D.
02-22-2010, 07:50 AM   #213
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffrey r Quote
I saw the Amazon deal. Definitely moving in the right direction, and a great deal for some, but still not far enough for me. I still love my K200D.
good for you...I know what ya mean. I would love to wait for $799, and still might, but for $100 I would rather have the new body for the trip. Of course a DA* lens that actually works for more than a month would be nice as well (I had a 50-135mm which died in the first 30-days, I returned for refund and no more of them for me, for now).
02-22-2010, 08:33 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You must have had a bad DA* lens. I've had and used mine for 4 years and never had an issue with either of them.

02-22-2010, 08:53 AM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pauld Quote
You must have had a bad DA* lens. I've had and used mine for 4 years and never had an issue with either of them.
Thanks, Cap'n Obvious.

[edit!: Sorry, didn't mean to be offensive. It's just... his DA* lens failed... pretty easy to guess he had a bad DA* lens. ]

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 02-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM   #216
Forum Member

Thanks for the tip! I cancelled my K7 order that I placed yesterday and ordered it from Amazon.

Bob
02-23-2010, 01:14 AM   #217
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Seemed like a good deal, I ordered my kit today, thanks buddy. I hope they send the whole package with this price, battery cradle, cables, battery itself etc.

02-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #218

I just picked the latest Amazon deal yesterday, I initially bought the Kx, but quickly returned it for reasons unknown. Glad I held-out because from what I've read, this seems better although people seem to compare how similar the Kx and K7 are. I think for whatever reason, the quality, features, LCD screen size and weather resistant feature alone is a sell...Besides, aside from the sale price, I had another $125 off from amazon coupons. So a bit better. just my 2 cents..

So...did I make the right choice? Also....can someone recommend an inexpensive lens to add to this?

Beginner here. Didn't want to run over to the Canon/Nikon equipment.

Last edited by V-NYC; 02-23-2010 at 12:51 PM.
02-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #219
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by V-NYC Quote
So...did I make the right choice? Also....can someone recommend an inexpensive lens to add to this?

Beginner here. Didn't want to run over to the Canon/Nikon equipment.
Congrats. The K-7 should be an awesome camera. As to your question about a lens to go along with it, to be honest, your question is too open to answer, and it would be better solved by taking a look at existing and past threads in the Beginner's Corner or SLR Lens sections, or posting a thread in the Beginner's Corner. There are a ton of options for lenses, but you'll need to specify more of what you are looking for in a lens or lenses. Good luck.
02-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #220

Hi

Its just that I see so many lenses that people like and get to do a lot with. While reading about other camera in my search I always heard about the 50mm being a great lens to walk around with and a must have. Is there a similar for the Pentax? or to wait? Also.. I was looking at battery grips ( ebay) how is that to start too? Sorry for all the questions.
02-23-2010, 01:51 PM   #221
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by V-NYC Quote
Hi

Its just that I see so many lenses that people like and get to do a lot with. While reading about other camera in my search I always heard about the 50mm being a great lens to walk around with and a must have. Is there a similar for the Pentax? or to wait? Also.. I was looking at battery grips ( ebay) how is that to start too? Sorry for all the questions.
Most of the people who claim the 50 is a great walkaround focal length are thinking in film terms, or were told that by people who were thinking in film terms. In APS-C terms, you want something around the 28-35mm FOV for a 50mm equivalent. There are lots of good choices in this range, from the very nice Pentax and Vivitar 28mm f/2-2.8 primes to the FA 35mm f/2 and DA 35mm f/2.8 macro. Some would go even further and suggest the DA 40mm f/2.8, but I find that to be just too long a FOV for walkaround. YMMV.

edit: to clarify, since you seem pretty new to dSLRs in general... the sensors that most dSLRs use are in what's called APS-C format, which is just a standardized physical size. The area of these sensors is somewhat smaller than the area of a 35mm film negative. All lenses made for dSLRs have focal length indicators (50mm, 28mm, etc) that don't reflect the FOV on an APS-C sensor. A 50mm lens on digital looks like a 75mm lens on film, etc etc.

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 02-23-2010 at 02:07 PM.
02-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #222

wow! a lot of data

Thanks for the help.. I do understand that this is a highly technical area and requires me to learn. Its not about gadgets, bags, accessories etc..If I want to be serious I have to live up to the hobby and do my share to get a hold of whats going on. In the long run it'll open up my eyes to all of this. The Xsi,T1i, D90,Kx...that was all easy and a quick flash during this 2 month period. I stepped up, decided on something that doesn't get enough of the credit as it should ( Pentax) and stuck alongside the K7. Of course, the Goldbox deal drove me nuts and helped with a big push. Anyways, for the past few weeks I got to read a lot and noticed Pentax and the Kx and got to see what a player it really is.

Last edited by V-NYC; 02-23-2010 at 02:36 PM.
03-16-2010, 02:27 PM   #223
Inactive Account

waiting for price break on pentax k7

I just bought one of these at amazon for 919.00. If you have not bought yet I do not believe this price will go any lower for quite some time. Luke
03-16-2010, 03:51 PM   #224
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lfloyd1123 Quote
I just bought one of these at amazon for 919.00. If you have not bought yet I do not believe this price will go any lower for quite some time. Luke
yeah, it's been there for a few weeks now, since the big sale a while back. but I see it around $799 by summer or so....at $900 it's still more than I care to spend. Honestly, right now I am still luke warm on the brand itself because of the whole SDM issues thing....but that is a whole different thread...hehehe.
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #225

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
yeah, it's been there for a few weeks now, since the big sale a while back. but I see it around $799 by summer or so....at $900 it's still more than I care to spend. Honestly, right now I am still luke warm on the brand itself because of the whole SDM issues thing....but that is a whole different thread...hehehe.
Based on previous estimates that I made a month ago, which have come to fruition, I'm guessing we'll see low 800s by the end of May. However, due to the extra features on the K7, inflation, and the rise of strength of the Japanese En, I doubt K7 prices will fall as low as those as the K20D. I agree that $799 is as low as we can expect the K7 to reasonably fall to by summer.

There is also the possibility that the 645D's halo effect will raise brand awareness, which in turn would increase K7 sales, and spike prices along the way. But, barring that, I'd say we get another 50 dollar or so price drop by the 15th of next month.