Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 07:18 PM   #16
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: tennessee
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 19
I just got the k20 as well. I had the k10 before it and sold it months before the k20 was released. I only wished I kept the k10 so I would have not missed shooting. from what I remember, the k20 blows the k10 away. my reason for the k20 this time was the price and being able to shoot. I'm planing on the k7 in the furture but not until price is alot lower and some bugs are fixed. back to the k20, I love it and get some good lens and enjoy your "semi-pro dslr".

07-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #17
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 877
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
semi-pro dslr
If the K20 is classified as a semi-pro (and I know that's what they call it) I can't wait until Pentax bring out a pro spec DSLR! With this sort of IQ and large print out capabilities I will certainly be able to produce pro quality photo's with this camera, and some good glass of course. Will be getting some prints done soon, don't know what size yet but probably 24"x13" or thereabouts and will post how they turn out.
07-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Midwest
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,407
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
If the K20 is classified as a semi-pro (and I know that's what they call it) I can't wait until Pentax bring out a pro spec DSLR! With this sort of IQ and large print out capabilities I will certainly be able to produce pro quality photo's with this camera, and some good glass of course. Will be getting some prints done soon, don't know what size yet but probably 24"x13" or thereabouts and will post how they turn out.
It's called "semi-pro" primarily because Canon and Nikon have convinced everyone - even lots of Pentaxians! - that a camera that's not full frame can't be "professional". Which is absurd, of course. Hasselblad makes a much larger sensor with much lower pixel density. Doest that mean that Canon and Nikon don't make "pro" cameras? If Pentax finally releases the 645D, will that mean that Canon and Nikon no longer manufacture any pro cameras?

Autofocus speed is another reason Pentax cameras "can't be professional" - because, as we all know, only sports photographers are professionals. Or maybe the new rage in weddings is having the bride sprint down the aisle at Olympic speeds?

There have been many reasons expressed by various people. The only one that makes *any sense at all* to me is that the Pentax line is not very "deep" in the sense of accessories, lenses, etc. Canon and Nikon both make ... lots of different lenses. If you need those lenses, then Pentax probably isn't your best choice.

But hey. I think professional is as professional does, frankly.
07-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #19
Ira
Inactive Account




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Coral Springs, FL
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,216
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote

Seeing how I just bought my K20 5 months ago, got the free 3 years of warranty, got a great deal $630 for the body
WalMart now has the body for $599.

It's impossible to stay ahead of the game with this stuff. Pentax is behaving a lot like Apple.

07-18-2009, 07:20 AM   #20
Veteran Member
Raybo's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 871
Recieved my K-20 a few weeks ago, I was using a K100DS, so far it's..........................................
07-19-2009, 02:37 AM   #21
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 165
QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
Why so?
Havn't printed anthing yet but looking forward to seeing the end results, I also use the Sigma 10-20, a great lens and much improved on the K20 I must say!
Glad you are pleased with the k20. I have been testing mine and it has exceeded my expectations. Exposure determination in "M" by green button on landscape gives me just short of blowing highlights and seems very consistent. I haven't used my Sigma 10-20mm yet but the lens has the resolution to match the camera. Good to see brew and other Aussies coming on board.
Ron McDermott
07-19-2009, 03:36 AM   #22
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 877
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I haven't used my Sigma 10-20mm yet but the lens has the resolution to match the camera
You will love this lens coupled with this camera...amazing resolution and colour! I agree the K20 has exceeded my expectations too. Havn't tried the green button yet, just been shooting in AV mode so far. This camera really gives you the confidence to go out and capture want you want and the resolution to give you plenty of top end in PP.
07-21-2009, 12:53 AM   #23
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 877
Original Poster
An expample of how good this camera is...the following shot was taken under the most trying of conditions...a howling south westerly straight from the antarctica, so strong that I had to hold the camera whilst mounted on a tripod to try and prevent it from moving. Add to that spray from the crashing waves and intermittent rain. I honestly thought that none of the images would be in focus, but guess what they were all ok apart from one where some rain got on the lens!


07-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #24
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 165
Fantastic shot, Ozlizard. Keep it up! BTW have you checked the focus accuracy on your K20?
Ron McDermott
07-22-2009, 01:30 AM   #25
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 877
Original Poster
Thanks Ron. How do you check the focus accuracy and why do you need to do that?
07-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #26
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Posts: 165
Hey ozlizard you asked: "How do you check the focus accuracy and why do you need to do that?"
Go inyo yeh menus in the usual way. The last menu on the right is the custom settings. Key dawn to the third last itim "AF adjust". You will need a focus target. If you google Pentax focus target you should find a pentax blog / site with a link to a very good tatget. Download and print on good paper an good quality.
Set camera on tripod, light not too bright to allow full aperture and set appropriate shutter speed. have target at about 45 degrees to image plane so that the lower part is closer to camera than the upper.
Use autofocus carefully and shoot image. Magnify 16x or more and maybe the sharpest part of image will coincide with the focus target. But if not you will need the AF adjust. Trial and error will get you there. A fantastic feature.
AF errors are not unknown in the DSLR field!
If this is not clear send me a private message and I will give you a phone call.
Ron McDermott
07-23-2009, 01:48 AM   #27
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bridgetown West Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 877
Original Poster
Thanks Ron, will give that a go.
07-23-2009, 04:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
The K-7 is a fine camera but I don't need video, more AF speed, the K20D is very accurate. Or a metal body, glass reinforced polycarbonate is as strong as steel but can flex without breaking. the K-7 is tougher because it can withstand more cold.
Good point

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
The K20D is still the low iso 100-400 detail champ officially as far as pro reviews. Until the K-7 gets reviewed and we see if it has more detail, same or less. And as a heavy cropper and landscape shooter this is most important to me.



QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
An expample of how good this camera is...the following shot was taken under the most trying of conditions...a howling south westerly straight from the antarctica, so strong that I had to hold the camera whilst mounted on a tripod to try and prevent it from moving. Add to that spray from the crashing waves and intermittent rain. I honestly thought that none of the images would be in focus, but guess what they were all ok apart from one where some rain got on the lens!
Great shot. Good to hear that you like the K20. I was extremely tempted when it came out, and I had the K10. I still look forward to getting the CMOS sensor at some point.

Seeing your work, you might be interested in what Andy does :
http://www.andymcinroy.com/
07-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #29
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 110
Got a new K20D coming UPS on Monday...really looking forward to cranking 'er up. Didn't even consider the K7. Thought I'd surely buy a Canon 50D, but, considering that I already have a Pentax flash and a bunch of lenses that I used with the old ME Super and the more recent ISt Ds2, I'm pleased with the features of the K20 at such a low price.

The only negative I see, relative to the more expensive Canon products, is the burst speed being less than half of the 40-50D.

If anybody knows of any other "flaws" in the K20, I'd sure like to hear them. Already ordered a 2000mah battery through Amazon @ less than 1/2 the cost of a Pentax name brand battery.
07-25-2009, 12:00 PM   #30
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
It's called "semi-pro" primarily because Canon and Nikon have convinced everyone - even lots of Pentaxians! - that a camera that's not full frame can't be "professional". Which is absurd, of course. Hasselblad makes a much larger sensor with much lower pixel density. Doest that mean that Canon and Nikon don't make "pro" cameras? If Pentax finally releases the 645D, will that mean that Canon and Nikon no longer manufacture any pro cameras?

Autofocus speed is another reason Pentax cameras "can't be professional" - because, as we all know, only sports photographers are professionals. Or maybe the new rage in weddings is having the bride sprint down the aisle at Olympic speeds?

There have been many reasons expressed by various people. The only one that makes *any sense at all* to me is that the Pentax line is not very "deep" in the sense of accessories, lenses, etc. Canon and Nikon both make ... lots of different lenses. If you need those lenses, then Pentax probably isn't your best choice.

But hey. I think professional is as professional does, frankly.
Wow, you're all over the place with this one but I do sense that seemingly typical Pentaxian resentment toward Canon and Nikon.

With all due respect, you need to be corrected on a few misleading statements. A professional digital camera is not defined by it being full frame. Rather it is very useful features such as flash sync speed, auto focus speed, fps, the number quick access buttons/dials (for ISO, WB, etc.), accessories availability, quality and selection of lenses, HDMI or similar output, live view functionality, durability, reliability, upgrade paths to current and future models, etc. The K20D (and the K7) do not meet enough of these requirements to be classified as a professional camera.

I don't quite understand this fixation about this... who really cares? If you love your Pentax, go out and take pictures. Enjoy it for what it is but don't get annoyed if someone tells you it's not a 'professional' camera.

Please, enough with the Canon/Nikon conspiracy to take over the world! How about focusing on Pentax's inability to get their act together and do some #%$^& advertising! They do have Hoya money so they can afford it if it were important enough.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k20, pentax, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Machinery K20 on K20 love (car related) ga-hing Post Your Photos! 8 09-03-2010 04:58 PM
Landscape Rocks bodhi08 Photo Critique 6 05-18-2010 06:59 PM
Landscape Rocks wjt Post Your Photos! 1 03-21-2010 08:50 PM
Black & White The Rocks... PentaxFan Post Your Photos! 4 01-21-2010 05:51 PM
On the rocks RPC386 Post Your Photos! 5 04-12-2009 04:31 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:16 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top