Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 12:01 PM   #31
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
An expample of how good this camera is...the following shot was taken under the most trying of conditions...a howling south westerly straight from the antarctica, so strong that I had to hold the camera whilst mounted on a tripod to try and prevent it from moving. Add to that spray from the crashing waves and intermittent rain. I honestly thought that none of the images would be in focus, but guess what they were all ok apart from one where some rain got on the lens!
Very nice!

I looks like an HDR. Did you set extended dynamic range?

07-25-2009, 12:09 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by WalterGA Quote
If anybody knows of any other "flaws" in the K20, I'd sure like to hear them. Already ordered a 2000mah battery through Amazon @ less than 1/2 the cost of a Pentax name brand battery.
Yes, DFS! The K20D and the K7 are the only two DSLRs (that I know of) that force a DFS after any bulb mode exposure. There are many threads in this forum about this flaw.

If long exposures do not interest you, then the K20D is currently the best value DSLR available.
07-25-2009, 05:51 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
I looks like an HDR. Did you set extended dynamic range?
Thanks, no HDR or dynamic range (havn't tried that feature yet), just tweaked in LR2.

This one is prbably a bit better...same PP.

QuoteQuote:
If long exposures do not interest you
I do want to do long exposures, will have to look into this problem (what is DFS?), and check out the threads.
07-25-2009, 08:55 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Thanks, no HDR or dynamic range (havn't tried that feature yet), just tweaked in LR2.

I do want to do long exposures, will have to look into this problem (what is DFS?), and check out the threads.
Your photo looks like I painting, what an amazing effect. I love it!

DFS is Dark Frame Subtraction. The most recent thread on this is here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66277-k7-long-exposures.html

07-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

That shot is even better !

If you like night photography, and longer exposures. Here is a great Pentaxian Martin Zalba, who does just that :
Re: Do you agree with this comparison of the 20D and nikon 700D?: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
(These shots are from K10, I don't know if he has moved on to the K20).
07-26-2009, 01:44 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
DFS is Dark Frame Subtraction. The most recent thread on this is here
Thanks for that and your kind comments...will look up the thread.

QuoteQuote:
If you like night photography, and longer exposures. Here is a great Pentaxian Martin Zalba, who does just
Thank you Sune will have a look at that.

On a different note I have noticed something perplexing with my NEW k20... which is, the photo counter shows 4385 images taken! I have only had the camera for about 2 weeks and have only taken about 200. Any explanations would be appreciated!
07-26-2009, 02:03 AM   #37
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done ozlizard.
Well worth a print to hang up on the wall.
You're putting your K20D to good use.
As for the image count - you'll have to expect some (but not as much as 4,000) images to have been taken by the manufacturer and retailer to confirm that it is not a dud and passes the test for consumer use. In the scheme of things, though, 4,000 out of a lifespan of 100,000isn't too bad. If it concerns you, you can always return it to the vendor to enquire about it...
07-26-2009, 02:51 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Well after many sleepless nights tossing up between the K7 and the K20 as an upgrade from my good ole K100 I chose the K20 and boy am I glad I did. Thank you to all the people who encouraged me to go with the K20. This is an amazing camera and it has blown me away with it's IQ and performance. It has pushed up my photography to a whole new level. Pentax were always good at making great "photographic tools" and the K20 is certainly that. After only a short time it feels like an extension of me, a tool with which to interpret what I see and what I want to portray. For a landscape photographer this camera rocks...what else can I say?

I think you made a very sound decision. Considering the difference in price and the similar output quality, the K20D was a good choice. I am confident that Pentax will come out with a firmware update that will deal with the higher chroma noise issues that the K7 has compared to the K20D. Although subtle it seems to have gotten certain pixel peepers up in a huff, so much so that it is having a somewhat negative effect on an otherwise very fine camera.

07-26-2009, 02:54 AM   #39
Veteran Member

An expample of how good this camera is...the following shot was taken under the most trying of conditions...a howling south westerly straight from the antarctica, so strong that I had to hold the camera whilst mounted on a tripod to try and prevent it from moving. Add to that spray from the crashing waves and intermittent rain. I honestly thought that none of the images would be in focus, but guess what they were all ok apart from one where some rain got on the lens!
An absolutely gorgeous image...Bravo, love it!
07-26-2009, 02:58 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Wow, you're all over the place with this one but I do sense that seemingly typical Pentaxian resentment toward Canon and Nikon.

With all due respect, you need to be corrected on a few misleading statements. A professional digital camera is not defined by it being full frame. Rather it is very useful features such as flash sync speed, auto focus speed, fps, the number quick access buttons/dials (for ISO, WB, etc.), accessories availability, quality and selection of lenses, HDMI or similar output, live view functionality, durability, reliability, upgrade paths to current and future models, etc. The K20D (and the K7) do not meet enough of these requirements to be classified as a professional camera.

I don't quite understand this fixation about this... who really cares? If you love your Pentax, go out and take pictures. Enjoy it for what it is but don't get annoyed if someone tells you it's not a 'professional' camera.

Please, enough with the Canon/Nikon conspiracy to take over the world! How about focusing on Pentax's inability to get their act together and do some #%$^& advertising! They do have Hoya money so they can afford it if it were important enough.
Hear, Hear on most points, but...It really depends on which professional and for what usage. For me, as I am not a sports photographer, the K20D and K7 does fit the Pro Criteria. In fact if you were to ask Terry Richardson, he would say that his 75 dollar Canon point and shoot camera's he uses and getting between 15 and 50 k dollars per day for his work IS a professional camera..for Him that is.
07-26-2009, 05:26 PM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Yes, DFS! The K20D and the K7 are the only two DSLRs (that I know of) that force a DFS after any bulb mode exposure. There are many threads in this forum about this flaw.

If long exposures do not interest you, then the K20D is currently the best value DSLR available.
Yep, long exposures don't interest me.
07-27-2009, 12:31 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Well done ozlizard.
Well worth a print to hang up on the wall.
You're putting your K20D to good use.
As for the image count - you'll have to expect some (but not as much as 4,000) images to have been taken by the manufacturer and retailer to confirm that it is not a dud and passes the test for consumer use. In the scheme of things, though, 4,000 out of a lifespan of 100,000isn't too bad. If it concerns you, you can always return it to the vendor to enquire about it...
Thanks Ash. Yeah I suppose the shot count isnt worth worrying about, the camera is definately brand new as far as I can tell and it certainly works ok so I'm happy with that.
07-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #43
Forum Member

Nice shots of sugarloaf rock there ozlizard

Next time your over that way send me a pm, it's my home trodging ground, can get you off the beaten track a bit
07-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Next time your over that way send me a pm, it's my home trodging ground, can get you off the beaten track a bit
Thanks jenko, will do...great area for photos!