Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you Pentax, K20 rocks!

Well after many sleepless nights tossing up between the K7 and the K20 as an upgrade from my good ole K100 I chose the K20 and boy am I glad I did. Thank you to all the people who encouraged me to go with the K20. This is an amazing camera and it has blown me away with it's IQ and performance. It has pushed up my photography to a whole new level. Pentax were always good at making great "photographic tools" and the K20 is certainly that. After only a short time it feels like an extension of me, a tool with which to interpret what I see and what I want to portray. For a landscape photographer this camera rocks...what else can I say?

07-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, and I know how you feel. I upgraded from the K100D a couple of weeks ago, and I know I made the right choice. Gotta say though, there are a lot of things in the menues!
07-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
ozlizard: --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after many sleepless nights tossing up between the K7 and the K20 as an upgrade from my good ole K100 I chose the K20 and boy am I glad I did. Thank you to all the people who encouraged me to go with the K20. This is an amazing camera and it has blown me away with it's IQ and performance. It has pushed up my photography to a whole new level. Pentax were always good at making great "photographic tools" and the K20 is certainly that. After only a short time it feels like an extension of me, a tool with which to interpret what I see and what I want to portray. For a landscape photographer this camera rocks...what else can I say?
Yes, I agree with you--congratulations and best of luck with this awesome camera. I love my K20!
07-16-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ozlizard Quote
its a good choice. here is how i clean mine..https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66782-do-you-care-...signments.html

not sure if can do the same for the K7 as the audio hole may allow the water in.

07-16-2009, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Now buy a 77ltd if you can find one reasonably cheap and feel the magic. I have found that lens to be the best on my K20d with the 50-135* a close second.
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #6

Congratulations. You've got good stuff right there.

QuoteQuote:
After only a short time it feels like an extension of me,
You mean like a third arm?
07-16-2009, 03:13 PM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well done mate.
Results-wise, you won't find a better tool from any other APS-C cam.
Indeed, invest in a great lens, and you won't ever go back!

07-16-2009, 06:09 PM   #8

K20D on its way

I have a K20D on its way and only after a great deal of research, so it's good to know others also feel it's a good choice. I have always liked Pentax and have a K2 film SLR. I would have gone for the K7 but for the extra dollars, I don't think it would have given any better results. Can't wait to get it.
07-16-2009, 06:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Now buy a 77ltd if you can find one reasonably cheap and feel the magic. I have found that lens to be the best on my K20d with the 50-135* a close second
Was tossing up between 16-50 and 50-135 but will look at the 77 ans see if it fits into the budget.

QuoteQuote:
there are a lot of things in the menues
Darn right there is...still working my way thru all that stuff.

QuoteQuote:
Can't wait to get it.
You will love it i'm sure, the IQ has just blown me away! (I see you are down in the best part of the world as well...plenty of great photo opportunities down here!)
07-16-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I rarely venture into the menus these days - I have a couple of tweaks and just leave it and shoot.

The 50-135* is a great lens. I really can't say enough good things about it, and in general I hate zoom lenses. I have shot it back to back with my 77 and the 50-135* is about 99% of the performance. The only difference is extra speed on the 77 along with the "pixie dust" that gets sprinkled on most photos.

I have a 16-50* coming tomorrow that hopefully will come close to the performance of the 50-135*. While I normally have either 31 or 77 on the camera, there are some times where I can't predict my mobility and need a zoom option. For instance next week I'll be scouting locations on a military base and will be either in a vehicle or walking around. I won't have the luxury of using my feet to zoom or taking time to swap lenses as I need to document it *now*. So in that case a fast zoom is essential. If I'm shooting for me, the primes give me the look that I want and I don't *have* to get a shot.

Any of them will be great on the K20d. You have fine AF adjustment for any lens so you can dial it in for better performance. Plus I find the FA ltds to be fairly predictable for AF. I only use center point AF (I AF then recompose if need be) and look for a high contrast area so it has an easier time. You begin to learn what the AF system has trouble with and often can avoid it.
07-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I just went on my first shoot with my brand new K20D (previous cam was K200D which I will KEEP for my SMC Taks). I used my FA 50/1.4. AF was fine and accurate, metering was spot on, even when I was sure that the histogram should have been shifted more to the right, and the front and rear edials are a real treat. The images are razor sharp and very rich (default jpeg setting), I can't wait until my D FA 100mm macro arrives!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow, I am back to raw.
07-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brew Quote
I have a K20D on its way and only after a great deal of research, so it's good to know others also feel it's a good choice. I have always liked Pentax and have a K2 film SLR. I would have gone for the K7 but for the extra dollars, I don't think it would have given any better results. Can't wait to get it.
Congratulations to you and the OP and all who decided to get it. For the price its a steal. The IQ is good all the way to iso3200 and iso3200 is fine. I just took a bunch of iso3200 out in the dark under low light and they pics are fine with some PP and NR (shot raw). If you needed AF speed and tracking you would not be shooting Pentax would you? You would have switched long ago. So for most Pentax shooter the K20D is very high value.

Seeing how I just bought my K20 5 months ago, got the free 3 years of warranty, got a great deal $630 for the body, $120 for the battery grip and got a free Pentax sling bag and Magic lantern guide. This is my second dSLR in one year. Its time I get my monies worth, keep it, improve my photography skills with it (this is a semi-pro dSLR, and well beyond me) get some nice glass. And see what next year and the K-8 brings to the table. The K-7 is a fine camera but I don't need video, more AF speed, the K20D is very accurate. Or a metal body, glass reinforced polycarbonate is as strong as steel but can flex without breaking. the K-7 is tougher because it can withstand more cold. But really each body has its own benefits. The K20D is still the low iso 100-400 detail champ officially as far as pro reviews. Until the K-7 gets reviewed and we see if it has more detail, same or less. And as a heavy cropper and landscape shooter this is most important to me.
07-17-2009, 09:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

You absolutely can't beat the K20d for the price.
07-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks to ozlizard for this thread. I feel the same exactly. When i read these minor complaints about the K7 IQ only being as good as the K20, what's wrong with that. Its great IQ and any camera owner can appreciate that quality, especially for a 15 megpixel camera.

There's one thread in the software forum from someone who printed a 30" by 45" canvas print from a K20. I had a request from a local shop to print a 36" panorama of a local bridge. I did it using one image with the K20 and the 20 mm FL from the Sigma 10-20. Not a true multi-shot panorama but its sharp from one edge to the other edge 36" away and it sold within a month.

The K20 does rock, but not on SR
07-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
but not on SR
Why so?
Havn't printed anthing yet but looking forward to seeing the end results, I also use the Sigma 10-20, a great lens and much improved on the K20 I must say!