Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 03:25 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
great post brecklundin.

a side question: are there any real benefits of a WR body + non-WR lens or non-WR body + WR lens over non-WR body and non-WR lens? with only a WR body, I can get that wet but can't let anything near the front side of the body?

does a WR lens do more than seal the body to the lens? Can water get inside the other parts of the lens?

*doesn't have the cash to get WR lenses and wants to use legacy lenses anyway. but may in the future*
Thanks...just trying to put some perspective into the idea of rinsing off the body under the faucet or a hose.

I too was thinking about the idea of non-sealed lenses on a sealed body and while at first it seems pointless but not I feel, yeah, I still see more than little benefit. Lenses are still somewhat sealed in a loose definition of the term. Look at the 30yr old legacy Pentax glass, dust and fungus free as a rule. Because not only were they well cared for, but also because they were built to close tolerances. That helps. So, I would sense if mounted on a sealed body, the body still has it's protection except when considering it's physical connection to the lens. Meaning dust, grit sand, water or what not are still going to have a hard time getting into the body. But if water gets into a lens with any electronic connection to the body then there would be the risk of a short from the water. But I dunno the extent of those connection, but no reason to dismiss such a risk. Also the mount itself while having very close tolerances is going to be a potential point of weakness. Again, probably pretty darned secure but still I would not want to repeatedly press the issue with a non-WR lens mounted.

The thing I love about the whole sealed system is I could see people being able to get some amazing shots under weather conditions that might never have been considered by amateurs who spend a significant percentage of our income on our gear, so it has to last. Now we can take more chances with little to no worry.

And of course there is always hope of a Pentax shooter winning a Darwin Award for taking some amazingly dumb-arse risk to get a shot of a lava flow or by standing in the middle of a field during a thunderstorm in order to get a shot of a lightening because their camera sealed and protected....hehehe...I am twisted & morbid that way, it truly does thin the herd in a positive fashion and in what might the saddest and at the same time funniest fashion possible

07-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
Well, because I can't foresee a situation where I would need to clean my camera that way. And it looks to me that this kind of "show of" has is motivations on some inferiority complex regarding the competition, as if we have to prove that our cameras are better build. Moisture gets everywhere and seals are not that reliable and infallible. As for salt water, I think that a sponge moistened with domestic water it's enough to clean any residues left behind; OK, we have warranty, but if we are honest, we should describe to Pentax warranty services what we have done with the camera; Not sure in this case if they will repair it for free!
Did not know we had Sigmund Fraud on this board...wow...impressive.

And if you feel tap water is sufficient to remove the remains of sea water without the follow up you have not spent much time investigating that tap water can have all manner of impurities which to metal and rubber are destructive. ever wondered why coffee makers fail? A large number are simply due to using "clean and pure" tap water which allow mineral deposits to form on the heating coils. There can be pH issues in local water and a myriad of other issues to be concerned with...hence a final fast since with some cheap distilled water...spend a buck on a gallon of distilled water and use it as needed. Cheap belt and suspenders sort of insurance.

We obviously view the matter differently but I am able to look at it from a factual POV rather than turning rinsing off a sealed bit of gear into questioning the mental stability as well as questionable ethics/morals of the user....man, that was an IMPRESSIVE spin and non-sequitur...it is awe inspiring to see that connection plucked from the ether. Those words were crafted in a fashion that was genuinely unique.
07-20-2009, 04:47 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Hi Reportage

If you're really feeling uptight about this sort of thing, try putting all your photographic gear into a dental autoclave.....that should sterilize everything properly........lol !! Only kidding folks.....

Best regards
Richard
07-20-2009, 10:37 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Did not know we had Sigmund Fraud on this board...wow...impressive.
it' not Fraud, it's Freud, and when it has to do with childish behavior, nothing better than the old Sigmund.

QuoteQuote:
And if you feel tap water is sufficient to remove the remains of sea water without the follow up you have not spent much time investigating that tap water can have all manner of impurities which to metal and rubber are destructive. ever wondered why coffee makers fail?.
What? Do you live near Chernobyl?. Are you not afraid about washing your car with all that destructive water running around? BTW, the person with the camera on the Youtube movie looks like he is in the bathroom!

You must be an authority on how to clean a WEATHER resistant camera (and apparently in Latin too...), so I must withdraw my psychoanalytic and common sense observations.

Cheers

Post Scriptum
: As a matter of fact, Sigmund Freud as nothing to do with the Inferiority Complex concept; that as to be credited to Alfred Addler, one of the most prominent dissidents of Psychoanalysis Movement.

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.
07-20-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Reportage

If you're really feeling uptight about this sort of thing, try putting all your photographic gear into a dental autoclave.....that should sterilize everything properly........lol !! Only kidding folks.....

Best regards
Richard
PERFECT solution...hahahaha...should fix the gear up just right...and before hand maybe a good soak in Simple Green as it is a great organic solvent and it should work well on removing those pesky seals and external coatings on the gear.
07-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
it' not Fraud, it's Freud, and when it has to do with childish behavior, nothing better than the old Sigmund.

What? Do you live near Chernobyl?. Are you not afraid about washing your car with all that destructive water running around? BTW, the person with the camera on the Youtube movie looks like he is in the bathroom!

You must be an authority on how to clean a WEATHER resistant camera (and apparently in Latin too...), so I must withdraw my psychoanalytic and common sense observations.

Cheers

Post Scriptum
: As a matter of fact, Sigmund Freud as nothing to do with the Inferiority Complex concept; that as to be credited to Alfred Addler, one of the most prominent dissidents of Psychoanalysis Movement.
well, this is the advanced group so you are going to have to work much harder to keep up with the rest of us. Freaking funny as can be to read the lack of abstract reasoning.
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well, this is the advanced group so you are going to have to work much harder to keep up with the rest of us.
Thank God for that! I was beginning to get to the impression that's the retarded one...

Freaking funny as can be to read the lack of abstract reasoning.
Ouch! That hurts. I doubt if I ever gonna recover from that blow...

07-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi Reportage

Best regards
Richard
hmm steam......

its stated the K20D max operating temperature is 104 F...but i wonder if Pentax were being cautious or generous with that assessment.

I wonder if anybody will ever test?
07-21-2009, 08:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wild stuff !