Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
do you care how you clean the camera after assignments?

this is how i clean my k20d when it needs to be cleaned. Can see all the dirt and whatever simply vanish.

YouTube - How to clean the Pentax K20D in a jiffy.

How about you guys?

07-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That's really putting the WR to test... If I own a WR body I wouldn't do that myself unless time is really important ^^;
07-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
been doing for quite a while. was wondering if anyone else is doing the same?
07-16-2009, 11:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

is that really safe to do over and over? its weather-resistant not water-proof?

i'd hate to do that if I accidently did not have a WR lens on.

what is the typical cleaning method for non WR cameras? take out battery, use a damp towell, let dry overnight?

07-16-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
is that really safe to do over and over? its weather-resistant not water-proof?

i'd hate to do that if I accidently did not have a WR lens on.

what is the typical cleaning method for non WR cameras? take out battery, use a damp towell, let dry overnight?
well been doing it for quite a while with non weather-resistant lenses and so far its been fine. I am so tempted to test if it can work underwater as well (: but good sense stops me. hahaha.

usual technique is use damp cloth to wipe but sand being what it is have chances to scratch the camera and takes just so long. I was thinking since it can survive being showered with bucket of water to clean the sand of it, tap water shouldnt be an issue. Since then thats how i clean it when require cleaning.
07-17-2009, 07:01 AM   #6

Showering with yer camera....that's a bit much for me...

...and here I thought a moistened clean new toothbrush was more than enough! Brushing my teeth; and then, OMG I can shower with my Pentax (Not).
07-17-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by digitalphil Quote
...and here I thought a moistened clean new toothbrush was more than enough! Brushing my teeth; and then, OMG I can shower with my Pentax (Not).
at the very least, unlike other camera bodies where the users will be seeking shelter...i know mine K20D will have staying power even in the rain.

07-18-2009, 09:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The pr0n music is a nice touch.
07-18-2009, 08:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I've seen the K20D + DA* lens used in pouring rain even wetter than the cleaning method above - with no subsequent problems.

I suppose its fine, but I wouldn't recommend it myself......
And always remember to dry it thoroughly before storage, even with a dry cabinet.
07-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The second I get my DA* 50-135mm, I will shower it every time I go out
That was, after all, a huge deciding factor for me to go with Pentax. Cheap weather proof dlsr+lens. (comparatively)
07-19-2009, 03:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Reportage Quote
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnw_H7f4wIA]YouTube - How to clean the Pentax K20D in a jiffy.[/url
That's the most boastful thing I ever seen from a Pentax user. You are pushing your luck...hope you don't regretted.
07-19-2009, 04:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Manel Brand Quote
That's the most boastful thing I ever seen from a Pentax user. You are pushing your luck...hope you don't regretted.
don't see why...it is resistant and just not designed for underwater use...that mean under water as in a pool, ocean, lake or whatever BODY OF WATER where the pressure increases as you descend. A gentile flow of water as the OP shows is trivial and will exert no significant pressure beyond 1 ATM. This is exactly what the sealing means...I would guess if a car drove through puddle and splashed you and your camera, far more pressure would occur as the water is propelled in your direction.

it is also about how the water if flowing across the surface...if it is flowing over the surface smoothly then it is actually exerting less pressure because, well, has to do with Bernoulli's pressure dynamics principles sort of stuff...just know the faster flow over a surface the less downward pressure the fluid will exert on the walls or lower surface. And the more the flow is altered by contours the pressure us reduced even further. That is all an over simplification but I think it's enough for this trivial a system. Basically it is the same way your blood pressure works or a hose works or a plane flies. The faster the flow through a blood vessel the lower the outward pressure the fluid exerts on the walls of the vessel, a hose is just the same sort of thing.

Of course using a power jet nozzle directly at the camera will indeed be potentially risky, heck even fatal for the body...being afraid of running it under a faucet is just plain "chicken little"...

Best way to ensure things like dust, sand and salt water corrosion never happen. One needs to clean fishing gear the same way and some of my reels make the cost of a K20D or K7 with a 60-250 on it look like kiddie toy prices...they also have environmental seals to protect in gearing. Never found a drop of water in them either...btw, there are not considered waterproof but rather resistant. Same for watches...I know if one of my Pentax bodies fails due to a failed seal then it will be repair while in warranty. The purpose of the seal is to keep these things OUT and allow use in wet, dusty or any other weather...

BTW, if you use your camera at the beach on a regular basis, and do not immediately wash it off when you return home, it will actually accelerate the aging process from the corrosion from leaving the salt water deposits on the body.

I would do take one final step though, rinse it off with distilled water after the sink, hose or faucet cleaning...especially if you live in an area with hard water. You want to remove those deposits as well. Then take the time to dry it well.

Last edited by brecklundin; 07-19-2009 at 04:40 AM.
07-19-2009, 11:33 PM   #13
Veteran Member

great post brecklundin.

a side question: are there any real benefits of a WR body + non-WR lens or non-WR body + WR lens over non-WR body and non-WR lens? with only a WR body, I can get that wet but can't let anything near the front side of the body?

does a WR lens do more than seal the body to the lens? Can water get inside the other parts of the lens?

*doesn't have the cash to get WR lenses and wants to use legacy lenses anyway. but may in the future*
07-20-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
don't see why...
Well, because I can't foresee a situation where I would need to clean my camera that way. And it looks to me that this kind of "show of" has is motivations on some inferiority complex regarding the competition, as if we have to prove that our cameras are better build. Moisture gets everywhere and seals are not that reliable and infallible. As for salt water, I think that a sponge moistened with domestic water it's enough to clean any residues left behind; OK, we have warranty, but if we are honest, we should describe to Pentax warranty services what we have done with the camera; Not sure in this case if they will repair it for free!

Last edited by Manel Brand; 07-20-2009 at 02:13 AM.
07-20-2009, 03:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneralBenson Quote
The pr0n music is a nice touch.

LOL!!!!!!! My thoughts excactly!