Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 07:44 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
First camera shoot!!

Received my K2OD – DA 18-55 ll / DA- 55-300 / Sigma 17-70 Marco / grip / extra battery and AF360GZ flash today.
My first assignment!!!! I thought it would be a great to document of all my valuables while I learn about the new K20D. I would use these photos for insurance reasons, if ever needed. So after reading the very large K20D owners’ manual and charging the batteries, I was ready to start. 889 shots later the results are in, I have picked one great camera. I was able to shoot the inventory photos under all kinds of conditions:
Low light, no light, natural, shade, cloudy, tungsten, fluorescent, filtered, harsh, morning, afternoon, and numerous flash situations.
AF worked well in all but the darkest closets. Noticed focus hunting at 4-5 candle foot power trying to achieve focus. Was very accurate when it did lock focus!! Side note the cat loved the AF stroboscopic flash assist
Used all metering modes, all exposure compensations and bracketing features
All shutter speeds and sensitivity were used (I did notice noise in the shadows of the photos taken of my wife’s shoe collection in a dark closet corner. Should have used the ETTR technique.
The V.I.N. numbers of my swamp buggy, tractor, generator and truck were sharp as a tack using the Sigma 17-70 Marco, used polarizer filter to shoot though windshield.
While using the Pentax DA 55-300 I was able to test and use FF/BF adjustments worked great. The long focal length of the 300 really showed great detail of the weather vane atop the barn.
Is the 18-55 ll better then the older 18-55, I will never now do not have the old one.
Having just 3 fps I was unable to capture the bull breaking out of his pen. We did physically capture him later that day.
Used manual pop up and the 360 external flash. I will require additional work in this area. Were the red eyes from the flash or the night before?
The 95% viewfinder would have been great if used in science class during slide inspections.
Good grieve how many shooting modes do I need????
Is the picture half full or empty? Talk about megapixels!
The self timer feature and a tripod were used to take pictures of pictures on the walls.
The bulb mode was used for long exposures of my Snap-On tools using a small shop light only in a dark garage. Worked out great was able to bake a cake while waiting for the DFS to finish up.
During a break we watched the new Harry Potter movie on the 2.7 TFT LCD it looked great. Cannot imagine how it would look on the K7’s 3 inch. Possible upgrade??
I think my wife walked by while using the Live View, couldn’t focus that fast. Probably will be useful taking photos of my old broke down tractor later today..
At the end of the shoot my wife and I thought we saw some dust spots in the photo of the china cabinet. We verified that with the internal dust indicator. I asked her to place the camera on my sore right shoulder (holding rather heavy camera all day) and execute the dust removal system. I did not know about this camera’s multi-tasking capacities. (IQ and a vibrator)This did however indicate a need to increase my bicep curl repetitions.
Learned the PP process while editing 889 photos and making copies to CDs.
I would recommend this camera and project to all!!! I had one great day of shooting!!!

I was able to test most of the cameras features during this very important shoot. I can truly say that it will be quite some time before I will be able to utilize all features. Thanks to all the posters on this forum for all the valuable information used during the camera selection process. You help me pick my BFF the Pentax K20D. Mike

07-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Cool, good news on your new equipment!

Just wanted to ask, why did you opt to get the 18-55 when the 17-70 covers same range and trumps it, IQ-wise?

Jason
07-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
It was included in the package deal!