Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2009, 01:15 AM   #106
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
the general vibe that people who buy one of the big brands are just mindless sheep following the crowds.
From my merchant experience most people are "sheeps following the crowd". They see Canon and Nikon cams left and right, all their friends use and advise Canon/Nikon cams, most of the stores have Canon and Nikon only, so they don't even know about the existence of other camera brands. Those who look around and sacrifice their time to investigate and compare cams deeper than "which is more expensive ('cause that must be better!)" and/or "which looks more cool" are the minority.
And this is also true for many other goods, not just cameras.

07-31-2009, 03:59 AM   #107
Inactive Account

Hi,

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
...In the old days when camera were basically mechanical devices, the pro tag had some meaning. Nowadays the electronics that finds its way into DSLR's are all the same grade. The shutter units are most often off-the-shelf units from third parties. Many Nikon and Pentax bodies share shutters.
I respectfully disagree on this point. With mechanical cameras, assuming your metering worked, the lens+film combination (+ darkroom skills) had the biggest impact (AF aside). You could use your favorite film in any of your camera bodies and expect good results, if you knew your film well. Your film of choice could be used in ANY compatible camera body and if you used M42 lenses, you could even move lenses between different brand of bodies.

Today, the image sensor, conversion electronics and image processing steps are all proprietary to each camera company, very tightly coupled to each other and visibly different among brands. Each camera vendor has their own unique set of electronics, even if the physical shutter is the same. So features aside (AF points, video, etc), all of these cameras produce results with their own character. You cannot swap out the electronics from one camera to another or change the sensor (akin to changing type/brand of film). In my opinion, this is what makes choosing a dSLR today challenging, since the trade-offs are much more numerous and far-reaching.

- slrl0ver
08-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #108

First off, A 'Pro' body is not just marketting, it's just a body designed primarily for professional photographers. Pretty much every body over $1000 is designed with Pro's in mind and anything over about $3k is oriented solely towards pros unless it has a Red Dot. You don't need a pro body to be a pro photographer and owning one does not make you a pro.

Secondly, most pros are going to use Canon or Nikon bodies irrespective of differing capabilities. This is because of two things:

1. NPS and CPS professional support services mean that getting cameras and lenses serviced is much less hassle and quicker as well as often being able to get loaners. Pentax and Sony do not offer this and Olympus's Pro service is something of a joke.

2. Lens rentals. Canon and Nikon rentals are widely available and also offer a wide range of lenses. If you shoot with Nikon or Canon you only need to purchase your basic kit, everything else can be rented on an as-needed basis. You can in fact be a Nikon or Canon shooting pro without owning a single piece of kit. With Pentax, Sony or Olympus you have to buy anything you might need and some specific kit is simply not available at all (T/S lenses for example) or only rarely at high cost (super-tele's).

For these purely business reasons most pros are going to be shooting with Nikon or Canon (and maybe someday Sony) even if Pentax delivers a system quite capable of delivering the necessary results (which IMHO it does).

There are certainly pros shooting with Pentax DSLR's. I know a few myself. And they deliver. But they also live with the limitations that being a relatively small system without a professional support service imposes.
08-02-2009, 11:34 AM   #109

Photos: Gallery
My question is... is the K7 worth the extra $600 over a K20D?

08-02-2009, 11:38 AM   #110
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jack56 Quote
That's a judgement only you can make (for yourself). The differences between the k20d and the k-7 have been widely covered.
08-02-2009, 12:17 PM   #111
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jack56 Quote
Yes ! the significant difference would be in the criteria of low light performance and metering. I cite those two because those are the things that really made a difference for me.
08-02-2009, 01:48 PM   #112
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Only you as the user can determine whether something is 'worth' more to you for the money you pay for it. Inasmuch as there are those who upgraded from the K20D to the K-7 in a heartbeat, there are those who've stayed put, finding their K20Ds fine for what they want to do and have little advantage (to them) in moving to the K-7.