Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
The last question is pretty stupid. I think most, if not all people would choose a 5D mkII over a K7 if price wasn't an issue.

I disagree with your point and your unnecessary inflammatory language.

If price wasn't an object, I think most people would choose something like a Hasselblad or a Mamiya...not a top of the range Canon.

I have a buddy who has a 5D Mk. 11 Canon...very nice machine. But in comparing pictures of the things I photograph...animals, vintage cars...I don't see enough of a difference to justify trading in my K10D on the Canon.

If money was truly no object...I'd be looking at a digital Hasselblad or a Mamiya.

Then, I believe I would see enough of a difference to trade in my K10D.

07-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Went out on a two day kayak trip, brought the K20D with me, was just able to get it in the storage compartment. So no, I wouldnt want a D3x or 5D. or rather, sure I take it. sell it and buy alot of lenses :P

Funny story, landed on a beach on wednesday. Sat down in the sand and put my k20d and the DA*55 beside me in the sand. After a while a woman walks up to me and say "you are not very bright are you" "excuse me" i said. "That camera and lens are gona be broken soon" then I replied "ah you see, its all sealed against dust and weather" I smile at her and she looks at the camera and turns around and walks away.

Moments like that I love my little darling. To bad it wasnt my k-7 but shipping to sweden seem to be the slowest in the world.
07-17-2009, 03:40 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
thank you all for excellent and well thought off answers. ?This is an excellent group in an excellent forum. I just had a K-7 delivered and since I am traveling my daughter is trying it out at home and she loves it and the pictures. She says it is the first what you see is what you get camera. She says it does the best raw pictures and this is from her experience with Canons (50D, Rebel ti, Nikon D90, D5000). It seems that Canon and Nikon have the power to advertise and Pentax is a Giant killer.

Initially I was keen on the GH1, but now, I am sure I will keep the k-7 even before I tried it myself

Thanks again and keep the comments going
07-17-2009, 03:58 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Went out on a two day kayak trip, brought the K20D with me, was just able to get it in the storage compartment. So no, I wouldnt want a D3x or 5D. or rather, sure I take it. sell it and buy alot of lenses :P

Funny story, landed on a beach on wednesday. Sat down in the sand and put my k20d and the DA*55 beside me in the sand. After a while a woman walks up to me and say "you are not very bright are you" "excuse me" i said. "That camera and lens are gona be broken soon" then I replied "ah you see, its all sealed against dust and weather" I smile at her and she looks at the camera and turns around and walks away.

Moments like that I love my little darling. To bad it wasnt my k-7 but shipping to sweden seem to be the slowest in the world.
I kayak on a regular basis with my K10D and have had the same response from people. They have the idea that if you take a DSLR near the water or in rain or snow that I'm inviting disaster. I just smile and say "It's ok, it's a Pentax".

I don't think a user of another brand DSLR will get argued into switching if he /she is happy with their camera and the results. People who jump to another brand do so for a reason. I bought a Nikon film camera at one point because for years I had listened to the hype that they were the "best". I wasn't very happy with the purchase and to be honest I am leery of ever buying a Nikon again. My experience with Pentax film cameras was very good so I based my choice on that when I made the jump to digital even though I had more Nikkor lenses than Pentax at the time. Two of the Nikkor's couldn't be used on a digital and were nothing more than paperweights. I am still using my Taks and have bought some more. However, I have friends who shoot Nikon and Canon who are very happy with their gear. They aren't likely to switch anymore than I am.

07-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
Not Registered

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Here's one reason why

Does it make accounting?
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Another great reason is you get stabilised 3rd party lenses! If money was no object i would still have a k-7, but i would get my amazonian porter to carry the digital MF camera around
07-17-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
  1. For Canon and Nikon loyalists and for the new comers who are not Pentax loyalists I aks those who already have the Pentax K-7 why should we go for the K-7 instead of Nikons or Canons or even the Lumix GH1?
  2. The New Canon rebel for example alows auto focus in video mode by pressing the exposure lock button. It works but slow. The nikon does not have it at all. For those who have the K-7, how easy or difficult is it to do the video focusing compared to the Canons or Nikons.
  3. Finally if money is not an issue, would you still keep the Pentax k-7 or go for the DX3 or 5DMKII or even the GH1 as a new true all rounder?
1. They wouldn't. Aren't they loyalist?
2. Faster than the T1i for sure.
3. I would definitely get one, sell it, buy another K-7, and I still have 6.7 k left to spend.

07-17-2009, 04:42 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Another great reason is you get stabilised 3rd party lenses! If money was no object i would still have a k-7, but i would get my amazonian porter to carry the digital MF camera around
07-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
Inactive Account

1.) Pentax cameras feel great in my hands and have excellent ergonomics - the best as far as I'm concerned. If it's uncomfortable for me to use I won't use it so what's the point. Same thing goes for a good quality mountain bike.

2.) K-7's video is good and it's features are ahead of most of the game except for the 5DII at this time. As far as I'm concerned though it's just an added on feature that I won't really use. I couldn't care less if it was there to be honest.

3.) Despite the fact that Pentax lenses have climbed in price recently I wouldn't change my K-7 for the world. The only other body I would consider is the D700, but it is significantly bigger and 3x's the price. I have the gear that I want and I'm glad that I can afford it and enjoy it.

c[_]
07-17-2009, 04:56 PM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
  1. Finally if money is not an issue, would you still keep the Pentax k-7 or go for the DX3 or 5DMKII or even the GH1 as a new true all rounder?
If either of those bodies came out with with a K-mount then I'd certainly consider them. I just prefer the K mount primes.

bazz.
07-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
If I had the D90 or above and the accessories.. I certainly would not change.

The lenses many are showing are 600 to 1000+ dollar primes... way out of most of our price range... And pentax really only has two primes and some consumer zooms under the $500 dollar range now... so I am not sure where the lens savings would come from.

I think with the new Pentax lens prices around the world, Pentax is no longer really a less expensive accessories platform that it was a year ago.

Plus there seems to be more sensor issues still to be worked out before I would even consider a K7, and that is coming from a pentax system.
I think I'm in the same boat as you. When I initially bought the K10D two years ago I had no prior attachments to any system, and I really liked the Nikon D80. However, I ultimately bought Pentax based on price. At that time, a D80 was $999, the K10D was $509. Both cameras have the same 10mp Sony CCD.

If I were to make the same decision today, I would choose Nikon because they offer so much more as a system and there isn't much savings to Pentax anymore. Price out a D90 setup and a K7 setup, they're fairly similar.

Also - a few clarifications -
  • You can use all M42 glass on Canon in Av mode, just like Pentax. No IS though.
  • The D700 ($2369 at Amazon) is only double the K7's price ($1229-1299), not triple. Small price to pay for D3 performance.

Last edited by edl; 07-17-2009 at 07:20 PM.
07-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
[*]The D700 ($2369 at Amazon) is only double the K7's price ($1229-1299), not triple.
"only the double"... The K-7 price is already stretching it for me... Also consider the K-7 release price vs the D700 release price. The D700 is out for one year now. I guess in a few months the K-7 will be priced lower.
07-17-2009, 08:07 PM   #28
Inactive Account

You're right the D700 is not triple the price (for more clarification)...it was 3399.00 at Henry's in Canada, but is now 3199.00. The K-7 is selling for 1249.00 at Aden Camera where I bought it.

D700
3614.87 with tax

K-7
1411.33 with tax

It's exactly 2.56 times the price and was 2.72 times the price if you use the former price before rebate for the D700 (which I was using).

c[_]
07-17-2009, 08:20 PM   #29
Veteran Member

D700 at 2.56x the money in USA would make K-7 cost $918 & not $1299.

D700 could become a better deal as it seems to be discontinued in Sweden. Paid for orders are getting cancelled according to nikonrumours. Best price I know of is $2,099 D700 in USA so thats $800 more than K-7 sits at today, or less than 2x. Kinda like when I bought my new 5D for $1,750 when K20D still sat at $1,299. A $450 premium for me for full frame and getting my 1st eos mount dslr was a heck of a deal. IF D700 makes it to $1750 while K-7 remains at $1299 I'll buy a 2nd D700 in a heartbeat.

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
You're right the D700 is not triple the price (for more clarification)...it was 3399.00 at Henry's in Canada, but is now 3199.00. The K-7 is selling for 1249.00 at Aden Camera where I bought it.

D700
3614.87 with tax

K-7
1411.33 with tax

It's exactly 2.56 times the price and was 2.72 times the price if you use the former price before rebate for the D700 (which I was using).

c[_]
07-17-2009, 09:33 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Cosmo Quote
The last question is pretty stupid. I think most, if not all people would choose a 5D mkII over a K7 if price wasn't an issue.
If it's FREE, sure. Then I'll sell the 5DmkII and buy a K-7 AND a really cool lens. But in building my system, I could have chosen a 5DmkII - I don't mind spending money; I only hate *wasting* money. FF doesn't enter into the equation - there's considerably less difference between APS-C and FF than there was between 35mm and medium format in film, and the cost difference is similar; that's not a high-value equation. Second, the Canon equipment is BIG (an artifact of the marketing hype driving the FF cult). Third, I prefer the color rendition of Pentax lenses to that of Canon lenses. That was true even when I was a Canon film shooter, back in "the day".

I chose the K20D over Canon and Nikon because I believe it to be the best photographic tool on the market for many applications, with IQ second to none, despite the synthetic benchmarks that everyone invents to show that everything else is better. Show me real-world pictures taken with [insert comparable camera here] that couldn't be taken with the K20D. I've never gone out shooting with my Canon/Nikon carrying buddies and had to step back and say, "No, you go ahead. I can't shoot that shot, because I've only got a Pentax." Or "Man that's a great shot! I would have shot it, but I only have a Pentax!"

I think a lot of the victims of LBA here - when I look at the long lens lists! - could easily have built a Canon FF kit over Pentax if they'd so chosen, so I think the question is not so stupid as you'd have us believe.