Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 06:28 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
There are some features that IMO make a camera "pro", one of the biggest ones being the ability to record to more than one memory card.
So now the Olympus E-510 is more pro than the Nikon D300 or Pentax K-7? O_O
ALthough I do see what you mean. IMO, it is a NEAT feature, although it seems to be useful only to sports photographers (and wildlife).

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
All products have a "pro level". Cars, boats, cameras, tools, pencil leads, monitors, kitchen knives, shoes. Everything.

People are not "pros" because of the tools they choose to use, they are Pros because of the work they produce.

---------------------

As for abandoning Canon or Nikon for Pentax? I doubt it. I expect most unhappy Canon users jump to Nikon, and those with Nikon jump to Canon.

But I think that many Canikon users could be interested in owning a K-7 and a handfull of limiteds for those days that the D700 & 24-70 AF-S 2.8 is just too heavy.
Already saw a few Nikonians on dpreview (don't know link so don't ask) with the D3 interested in investing the into the K-7 with limiteds! honestly, you could get the price of 1 k-7 with the 3 pancake lenses for about $2400.

07-22-2009, 06:35 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Just from seeing the title, if you need someone to explain why you should go with Pentax over Canon and Nikon, then Pentax isn't for you.
07-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #93
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
What do the other 98% of idiots believe?
Well, I believe I'll have another drink.
07-22-2009, 08:07 PM   #94
Igilligan

What I Believe

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
What do the other 98% of idiots believe?
Well... I believe there is only one Barney! And he is not a talking purple dinosaur. He is a Deputy Sheriff who carries one bullet in his shirt pocket...

And I believe the size of the pond does not matter all that much to a fish out of water.

But the one thing I believe above all other beliefs:

Virginity is the Buffalo of our youth...

07-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #95

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I think I like that..
No idea what it means, but hey, it sounds puzzling enough
07-22-2009, 11:08 PM   #96

"Virginity is the Buffalo of our youth..."

I think it means that when we were young, virgins were more plentiful hehehe
07-30-2009, 05:48 AM   #97
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Cryptic!

FWIW, my father travelled across the US a lot for work during the 60s and 70s. He always hated Buffalo -- he thought it was the most miserable city in the US.

I don't know if this is what igilligan has in mind, but it certainly makes sense.

07-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #98
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
  1. For Canon and Nikon loyalists and for the new comers who are not Pentax loyalists I aks those who already have the Pentax K-7 why should we go for the K-7 instead of Nikons or Canons or even the Lumix GH1?
  2. The New Canon rebel for example alows auto focus in video mode by pressing the exposure lock button. It works but slow. The nikon does not have it at all. For those who have the K-7, how easy or difficult is it to do the video focusing compared to the Canons or Nikons.
  3. Finally if money is not an issue, would you still keep the Pentax k-7 or go for the DX3 or 5DMKII or even the GH1 as a new true all rounder?
Don't care much about viedeo modes.
I tried K7 in B&H store, nice little camera, ergonomics is A+, but bought 5D2 and L glass for the FF sensor, big bright viewfinder and hi ISO performance.
It was also very interesting to notice that 5d2 and Canons EF 50/1.4 are lighter than my K10D + SMC 50/1.4 were.
07-30-2009, 08:36 AM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Disagree. Most people choose brands for "irrational" reasons. All thats needed to abandon Nikon or Canon for Pentax (or vice versa) is that you want to....
"irrational"

Surely, you mean the average consumer and NOT a professional photographer!

Even so, that is a rather insulting statement. It might be true for perhaps 40% of consumers but certainly not "most". Me thinks that you are almost implying that Canon and Nikon are in the lead b/c of "irrational" thinking. If so, you are going to lose credibility points. Sorry.

There are reasons why Pentax is at the bottom and it certainly is NOT b/c the majority of purchasers are stupid.
07-30-2009, 08:42 AM   #100
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
"irrational"

Surely, you mean the average consumer and NOT a professional photographer!

Even so, that is a rather insulting statement. It might be true for perhaps 40% of consumers but certainly not "most". Me thinks that you are almost implying that Canon and Nikon are in the lead b/c of "irrational" thinking. If so, you are going to lose credibility points. Sorry.

There are reasons why Pentax is at the bottom and it certainly is NOT b/c the majority of purchasers are stupid.
Unfortunately you get that attitude from a certain group of people around here. Things like Pentax being for the "discerning" photographer and the general vibe that people who buy one of the big brands are just mindless sheep following the crowds.

Thankfully, it's just a minority.
07-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #101
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Because there is no such thing as a pro camera: there's marketing talk however and 98% idiots fall into it.
Here we go again with this naive talk. Are there "pro" camera's are a product of marketing talk? Maybe, but I can't think of one... please enlighten me, name a camera that is marketed as a "pro" but really isn't! And please qualify your claim that it isn't a "pro" camera.

But overall, you are simply incorrect. There are indeed professional grade cameras and it's not just marketing talk.

But perhaps you know more than the pros? Perhaps you should call those photographers who work for the glamour mags, National Geographic, etc... and tell them they are stupid for their decisions to spend thousand's on their camera bodies alone.

Come on enough.... it's this argument that is idiotic!
07-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #102
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Unfortunately you get that attitude from a certain group of people around here. Things like Pentax being for the "discerning" photographer and the general vibe that people who buy one of the big brands are just mindless sheep following the crowds.

Thankfully, it's just a minority.
Sometimes I wonder, sometimes I wonder.

As I am sure you know, Pentax does indeed make mostly great cameras. My all time favorite SLR was (is) the Pentax MZ0But there is so much trash talk in this forum that I personally find it embarrassing and distasteful.
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
But perhaps you know more than the pros? Perhaps you should call those photographers who work for the glamour mags, National Geographic, etc... and tell them they are stupid for their decisions to spend thousand's on their camera bodies alone.:

Most pros do not use cameras that are marketed as professional. More pros using Nikon and Canon use bodies that are not marketed as pro as the top of the line bodies. Currently the most popular Nikon body among pros is the D300. It is marketed as a mid level body just like the K-7.

Several front pages of National Geographic are shot with Pentax cameras. So are some glamour shots (seen Bens work?). More professional glamour shots have been made with Pentax than any other brand. Does that make those pros idiots or Pentax camera pro bodies, or is it perhaps totally irrelevant?
In the old days when camera were basically mechanical devices, the pro tag had some meaning. Nowadays the electronics that finds its way into DSLR's are all the same grade. The shutter units are most often off-the-shelf units from third parties. Many Nikon and Pentax bodies share shutters.

Last edited by Pål Jensen; 07-30-2009 at 02:47 PM.
07-30-2009, 02:19 PM   #104
Veteran Member

I think this is a pro using her body

07-31-2009, 01:06 AM   #105
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I think this is a pro using her body
That's just an entry level body