Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Why Abandon Canon/Nikon for Pentax k-7

1. For Canon and Nikon loyalists and for the new comers who are not Pentax loyalists I aks those who already have the Pentax K-7 why should we go for the K-7 instead of Nikons or Canons or even the Lumix GH1?
  2. The New Canon rebel for example alows auto focus in video mode by pressing the exposure lock button. It works but slow. The nikon does not have it at all. For those who have the K-7, how easy or difficult is it to do the video focusing compared to the Canons or Nikons.
  3. Finally if money is not an issue, would you still keep the Pentax k-7 or go for the DX3 or 5DMKII or even the GH1 as a new true all rounder?

07-17-2009, 12:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alman Quote
  1. For Canon and Nikon loyalists and for the new comers who are not Pentax loyalists I aks those who already have the Pentax K-7 why should we go for the K-7 instead of Nikons or Canons or even the Lumix GH1?
  2. The New Canon rebel for example alows auto focus in video mode by pressing the exposure lock button. It works but slow. The nikon does not have it at all. For those who have the K-7, how easy or difficult is it to do the video focusing compared to the Canons or Nikons.
  3. Finally if money is not an issue, would you still keep the Pentax k-7 or go for the DX3 or 5DMKII or even the GH1 as a new true all rounder?

1. as a former Nikon shooter, I would say that I hate the fact that I had to spend a bit more on VR glasses. and I hate the kit lenses.
2. Focusing is not an issue for the K-7. it is even faster to focus manually as opposed to wait for the Rebel to focus automatically. focusing is easy and dont just rely on autofocus feature.
3.I would still keep the K-7 because of the Pentax glasses and more affordable lenses that I could put on them. plus I don't like big and heavy equipment ( dslr and lenses of those FF are heavy as hell).
07-17-2009, 01:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

1. Weather-proof and better construction. 100% pentaprism viewfinder. In-body stabilization of all lenses. DA and FA ltd prime lenses.

2. If you really need video, get a video camera or p&s. To do video with a dSLR requires a fair amount of effort and patience. But if you want to do advanced DOF shots then dSLR is fine. I'd rather manual focus in that situation.

3. K7 is a small, well-built, weather-proof APS-C camera with a choice of great prime lenses all with stabilization. DX3 and 5D are not small (and 5D isn't particularly well-built imho), GH1 is not weather-proof and has a smaller sensor with lower iq (I know - I bought my g/f a G1 and have shot with it).

There is no perfect camera. Canikons can do some things better, but your choices are comparing apples to bananas.
07-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention that the first time I got interested into getting a Pentax dSLR is becoz of the K20D. it's built-in SR and weather-sealed feature got me sold. I was about to purchase a K20D already this year til I heard about the K-7. primary reasons for getting the K-7, shutter speed and 5 FPS. other features are absolutely worthwhile bonuses.

07-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
After all the comparisons, it all comes down to personal preference.
Cost matters to me (as I'm sure many others) and Pentax just cannot be beaten in that aspect, yet being able to meet the majority of features of cameras over thrice its price, and definitely on all the features of importance when considering what photographers need.
07-17-2009, 02:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

because it's pentax: it is somewhat different,somewhat better,somewhat worse but it's unique and that makes a sense
07-17-2009, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Here's one reason why

07-17-2009, 02:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

here's another reason

07-17-2009, 02:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The last question is pretty stupid. I think most, if not all people would choose a 5D mkII over a K7 if price wasn't an issue.
07-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Quite simply, size matters. Pentax, with both bodies and lenses, attempts to put the highest image quality possible in the smallest package. The K20/10 is definitely the upper end of what I would consider portable -- wouldn't want the D3X, because quite simply, I wouldn't actually take it anywhere to use it.
07-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Igilligan

I am not sure I would

If I had the D90 or above and the accessories.. I certainly would not change.

The lenses many are showing are 600 to 1000+ dollar primes... way out of most of our price range... And pentax really only has two primes and some consumer zooms under the $500 dollar range now... so I am not sure where the lens savings would come from.

I think with the new Pentax lens prices around the world, Pentax is no longer really a less expensive accessories platform that it was a year ago.

Plus there seems to be more sensor issues still to be worked out before I would even consider a K7, and that is coming from a pentax system.
07-17-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
here's another reason

That is a very convincing argument.....OH NO....I think I just popped a Chubby...ooppsss...sorry....
07-17-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
That is a very convincing argument.....OH NO....I think I just popped a Chubby...ooppsss...sorry....
Yeah, I sent back the K7 yesterday but am already thinking about getting another one, this time with different expectations and uses. I am eyeing the 15mm ltd and am thinking that K7 with 15/35/70 ltd in the bag would be an incredible travel/street setup. That kit would fit in an incredibly small bag and shooting balance would be superb.

While the Pentax ltd lenses aren't as cheap as they used to be, Canikon still does not have an equivalent. Theirs are all either cheap plastic or big and heavy and inelegant. For some, aesthetics matter and I love the look and feel of the Pentax ltd primes.

The other big point is weather sealed body. I wouldn't take a D90 or G1 (or even a 5D) out in the rain.

Just depends on what factors are most important. Blazing fast AF doesn't help you if it is raining and you're afraid of the elements.
07-17-2009, 03:04 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

The other big point is weather sealed body. I wouldn't take a D90 or G1 (or even a 5D) out in the rain.

Just depends on what factors are most important. Blazing fast AF doesn't help you if it is raining and you're afraid of the elements.
Hmm, but you wouldn't take a 31 ltd out in the rain either would you? The lens should be reasonably well sealed and if you put plastic bag over it it probably would be fine, though.

Right now Pentax only have 8 WR lenses AFAIK
DA* 16-50
DA* 50-135
DA* 55
DA* 60-250
DA* 200
DA* 300

DA WR 18-55
DA WR 50-200

Most of them are excellent performer.... How much would Canonikon cheapest sealed equivalent cost? (For pentax it would cost around 600$ right now with K200D + DA WR 18-55)
07-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
1) Smaller body and pancake lenses.
2) No idea cos I don't do video.
3) As a hobby, I prefer compact size gears. If it were for commerical purpuse, I would probably go D700 or 5D2. Even if I could afford the D3x, the weight is going to drag me down. If I were to go 4/3, I would probably go E-P1 as a fun camera.