Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2007, 02:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
ist DL manual focus

Hey guys,

I can't get anything into focus manually on my ist, the diopter is correct. What I see as focused isn't, the auto focus works fine but I would like to use manual lenses too. Also I have an old pentax 35mm that I can focus fine. Any ideas?

Thanks
J

05-06-2007, 06:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could the focus screen be in wrong? It should be shiny side towads the mirror. Just a thought.
05-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Forum Member

When your using manual focus are you judging with your eye that the picture is in focus or are you using the focus indicator in the view finder?

Sometimes i have found even when a picture looks in focus often when you see it at 100% it isnt. I have learnt to use the focus indicator to check.

hope this helps.
05-06-2007, 07:10 PM   #4

Original Poster
focus

QuoteOriginally posted by ossi Quote
When your using manual focus are you judging with your eye that the picture is in focus or are you using the focus indicator in the view finder?

Sometimes i have found even when a picture looks in focus often when you see it at 100% it isnt. I have learnt to use the focus indicator to check.

hope this helps.

Thanks,

If I judge with my eye it is wrong, if I use the indicator it is right. I will check the focus screen. Thanks for your help. No one else experiences this then huh?

Jeff

05-06-2007, 07:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeddy Quote
Thanks,

If I judge with my eye it is wrong, if I use the indicator it is right. I will check the focus screen. Thanks for your help. No one else experiences this then huh?

Jeff

That sounds like the diopter isn't adjusted correctly.
05-06-2007, 08:36 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
That sounds like the diopter isn't adjusted correctly.
I can see everything in the view finder correctly.... I have tried all of the positions.

Thanks for your help.
J
05-06-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeddy Quote
Thanks,

Jeff
I havent used manual focus lenses a lot on the DL, i have used a 500-800 mirror lens and experienced similar behaviour. I was attempting to photographer surfers a long way out, it looked like they were focused but then got home and looked and they werent. I didnt think too much of it becuase with a lens of that focal length and the surfers appearing that small there is very little depth of field and so easy to get things out of focus.

Does the object look out of focus through the viewfinder when the focus indicator is illuminated? Or does the object look in focus? what lens(es) are you using?
05-07-2007, 06:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ossi Quote
I havent used manual focus lenses a lot on the DL, i have used a 500-800 mirror lens and experienced similar behaviour. I was attempting to photographer surfers a long way out, it looked like they were focused but then got home and looked and they werent. I didnt think too much of it becuase with a lens of that focal length and the surfers appearing that small there is very little depth of field and so easy to get things out of focus.

Does the object look out of focus through the viewfinder when the focus indicator is illuminated? Or does the object look in focus? what lens(es) are you using?
No, when the indicator is lit (and is properly focused) I can not see it in focus.

Thanks...

Jeff

05-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I've used many a manual lens on my K100D. The Pentax instructions for DIOPTER adjustment are poorly worded. Here are my methods:

If you have an autofocus lens let it focus (push shutter half way) then adjust Diopter so your eye is focused.

OR

With a manual lens adjust until the camera indicates focused (you mention that works fine) then adjust the DIOPTER to focus your eye.

Remember where it is set in case you bump it. Mine is one click left of center.
05-07-2007, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I do something a little differently. I actually try focusing on a point of the object. Like on a cat I'll focus at the eyes or whiskers. That's usually when the indicator lights up as well.
05-22-2007, 09:23 PM   #11

Original Poster
I just wanted to let people know that I figured out the problem just in case it happens to someone else. There is a u-shaped brass shim that was on the wrong side of the focus screen. This put the focus screen too far away from the lens. Thanks for everyone's reply, it is good to know that there are people willing to help.

Jeff