Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #1

K7 - What's the latest with sensor issue?

Hello all.

In the next few months I will be purchasing my first DLSR. I have been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now and with a trip planned to Alaska next year, I am finally going to pull the trigger.

I initially decided I was going to get the Nikon D90. Then I saw the specs for the K7 and thought I would wait and check out the reviews for it. Even though the K7 body is $300 more than the D90, by they time I purchase comparable lenses, the K7+Lenses is only going to be about $100 more. Then I started reading about the sensor issues with the early batches of K7s. My questions are, what is the latest with the lines showing up in the photos? Has Pentax admitted there is a problem? Do they have it sorted out yet?

I know some of you are going to say the K7 or D90 is more camera than I need considering my lack of experience. But I’m the type of person who doesn’t “upgrade” equipment every few years. I want to get the best I can afford now and grow into it. And more than likely I will keep it for many, many years.

Thanks,
Bill

07-18-2009, 04:23 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ACobra289 Quote
Hello all.

In the next few months I will be purchasing my first DLSR. I have been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now and with a trip planned to Alaska next year, I am finally going to pull the trigger.

I initially decided I was going to get the Nikon D90. Then I saw the specs for the K7 and thought I would wait and check out the reviews for it. Even though the K7 body is $300 more than the D90, by they time I purchase comparable lenses, the K7+Lenses is only going to be about $100 more. Then I started reading about the sensor issues with the early batches of K7s. My questions are, what is the latest with the lines showing up in the photos? Has Pentax admitted there is a problem? Do they have it sorted out yet?

I know some of you are going to say the K7 or D90 is more camera than I need considering my lack of experience. But I’m the type of person who doesn’t “upgrade” equipment every few years. I want to get the best I can afford now and grow into it. And more than likely I will keep it for many, many years.

Thanks,
Bill
Hey, Bill. Anybody smart enough to appreciate the Ford 289 mill - particularly coupled with a Cobra (I mean a real Cobra) - is plenty smart enough to use either one of these cameras.

If you're not planning to buy a camera for "a few months", you're in the driver's seat. The early production bugs of the K-7 likely will be corrected and the price likely (if history is a guide) will be lower - perhaps considerably so. Then you can compare cameras in a different light (no pun intended).

Jer
07-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

What sensor issue? There was a user who reported seeing a vertical line, but I'd be surprised if this one case indicates an "issue" with all sensors.
07-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by krypticide Quote
What sensor issue? There was a user who reported seeing a vertical line, but I'd be surprised if this one case indicates an "issue" with all sensors.
You must work for Pentax.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
Hey, Bill. Anybody smart enough to appreciate the Ford 289 mill - particularly coupled with a Cobra (I mean a real Cobra) - is plenty smart enough to use either one of these cameras.

If you're not planning to buy a camera for "a few months", you're in the driver's seat. The early production bugs of the K-7 likely will be corrected and the price likely (if history is a guide) will be lower - perhaps considerably so. Then you can compare cameras in a different light (no pun intended).

Jer
Thanks Jer.

07-19-2009, 12:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

You must work for Pentax.
And one could counter with an accusation that a single post user asking about a "sensor issue" is a troll or Canikon fanboi.

Not that I'm paranoid or anything...

If memory serves me correctly I've seen posts from 2, maybe 3 people who have reported seeing some very faint lines under certain conditions. This seems to be a *very* isolated issue and I doubt there would be any "official" Pentax response as there doesn't seem to be any systemic problem.

I certainly didn't see any sensor issues with my K7.

Depending on your needs and uses, a dSLR may or may not be the right choice for you. It has nothing to do with "experience" and more to do with how you'll use the camera and what types of shots you're hoping to get. Above all, I think that size is critical. You get photos with the camera you'll actually carry. I frankly get most of my shots with my DLux4 because it is small enough that I'll take it most anywhere. But if I know I need a good quality file I'll grab the K20d.
07-19-2009, 12:20 PM   #6

Hello all.

Thanks,
Bill
sensor issue??? I own a k7 and am not aware of an issue either. The only issue is that if one person posts a "problem" on a forum it suddenly becomes commonplace and people freakout. I take 98% of the so called problems with any dslr ( canon nikon pentax sony etc ) with one large grain of salt.

kman
07-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
The only issue is that if one person posts a "problem" on a forum it suddenly becomes commonplace and people freakout
Wait, you mean I don't have to dump all of my Pentax gear because someone had a problem? Are you saying that the interwebs isn't reality?!?!?

Heresy! I can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalala

the sky really is falling. I read about it at dpr. Some guy got photos. Though he was pissed because he couldn't turn off NR. Interestingly enough there were these other guys that did controlled experiments on the photos and determined that the flux capacitor in the Pentax was causing a rip in the space time continuum, and they were also able to extrapolate the velocity of the falling sky. We only have about 17.3 minutes to live. Plus or minus a century. Evidently they forgot to carry the one.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

07-19-2009, 12:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Wait, you mean I don't have to dump all of my Pentax gear because someone had a problem? Are you saying that the interwebs isn't reality?!?!?

Heresy! I can't hear you lalalalalalalalalalala

the sky really is falling. I read about it at dpr. Some guy got photos. Though he was pissed because he couldn't turn off NR. Interestingly enough there were these other guys that did controlled experiments on the photos and determined that the flux capacitor in the Pentax was causing a rip in the space time continuum, and they were also able to extrapolate the velocity of the falling sky. We only have about 17.3 minutes to live. Plus or minus a century. Evidently they forgot to carry the one.

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65879-k7-busted-se...tion-body.html

So all of the posts in this thread are over nothing? Is it just one person making the claim? If it's a non issue why is Pentax now mentioning in their FAQ?

I asked legitimate questions. If all you have are smart ass comments, why bother responding?

As for all your Pentax gear, you can shove it up ass for all I care.
07-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65879-k7-busted-se...tion-body.html

So all of the posts in this thread are over nothing? Is it just one person making the claim? If it's a non issue why is Pentax now mentioning in their FAQ?

I asked legitimate questions. If all you have are smart ass comments, why bother responding?

Sorry you don't appreciate my sense of humor.

Of course you choose to ignore the previous post where I tried to give you some actual advice based on real-world experience. My joke post was for the benefit of kman. He knows why

There are only a small number of people experiencing the problem under a limited set of conditions.

And thanks for your hostility. True character shows quickly on the interwebs.
07-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #10

whoa --- lets settle down dude --- this forum is for fun and if you cannot appreciate nostatics and my humor then maybe you had better go elsewhere and stir the pot of #$%^ ---- oops you probably will not find this funny either

kman
07-19-2009, 01:00 PM   #11

Original Poster
Sorry you don't appreciate my sense of humor.

Of course you choose to ignore the previous post where I tried to give you some actual advice based on real-world experience. My joke post was for the benefit of kman. He knows why

There are only a small number of people experiencing the problem under a limited set of conditions.

And thanks for your hostility. True character shows quickly on the interwebs.
You came after me. I just responded.

Feel free to get the last word in. I'm finished.
07-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This seems to be a *very* isolated issue and I doubt there would be any "official" Pentax response as there doesn't seem to be any systemic problem.
This post seems to give legitimacy that Pentax does indeed know about the problem.
07-19-2009, 01:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by tomwil Quote
This post seems to give legitimacy that Pentax does indeed know about the problem.
thank you for the link ---- now I know --- I personally have not encountered this problem but it is good to know

now if i had some funny comment I could insert here but i have none

kman

ps --- how do you guys like my new avatar ??? I think it really shows off the new K7

Last edited by kmanlaker; 07-19-2009 at 01:12 PM. Reason: additional info
07-19-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You came after me. I just responded.

Feel free to get the last word in. I'm finished.
Ohh....I love the last word. I believe it is "zymurgy."

Who did I quote in that post where I "came after" you?

I'll give you a hint - not you.

And you were the first one to start swinging ("you must work for Pentax"). So lighten up, Francis.

K7 is a great camera that will no doubt have some minor teething pains. Just like EVERY other dSLR on the market (eg the 5Dmk2 and the "black dots" issue).
07-19-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kmanlaker Quote
ps --- how do you guys like my new avatar ??? I think it really shows off the new K7
Is that a target on the front?

You cruel man. I'm calling PETA!

btw, you have a good recipe for dolphin burgers?