Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

K-7 filename counter

Hi!

I just replaced my K10d with K-7 and I noticed that new camera took over K10d image numbers.
So my question is does anyone know how to reset filename counter on K-7? Personally I couldn't find it from menu.

Thanks in advance
Ando

07-19-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You did put in the K-7 an SD/SDHC card that already contained pictures from your K10D, so the camera went from the last number that was on the card. To reset the counter, which doesn't actually represent the camera's total count, you will need to find a card with pictures having a low count, put it in your camera, and take a picture. To know the total amount of pictures your camera really has, you'll need to download something like "PhotoME.de".
07-19-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AndoS Quote
Hi!

I just replaced my K10d with K-7 and I noticed that new camera took over K10d image numbers.
So my question is does anyone know how to reset filename counter on K-7? Personally I couldn't find it from menu.

Thanks in advance
Ando
QuoteOriginally posted by flyer Quote
You did put in the K-7 an SD/SDHC card that already contained pictures from your K10D, so the camera went from the last number that was on the card. To reset the counter, which doesn't actually represent the camera's total count, you will need to find a card with pictures having a low count, put it in your camera, and take a picture. To know the total amount of pictures your camera really has, you'll need to download something like "PhotoME.de".
The above instructions are not 100% correct. If you want your camera to start at a specific number you have to have at least one image on a card numbered one less than the number you want to start with then you also have to reset the file number, see page 281 of your manual.
07-19-2009, 10:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

If you want to reset file number, insert an empty memory card, go to the 4th page of the camera menu, select Memory, and uncheck File No. on the 2nd page. When you power cycle the camera, the counter will start at 0001. Make sure to re-enable the option, or it will always revert to 0001 on an empty memory card.

09-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Sorry about this late question - I've searched the forums using all kinds of keywords but....

Both a colleague and I use K10Ds..... I thought I was quite prolific until I got a call from my colleague today - he's reaching, for the third time, the file number limit, having already passed "IMGP9999" twice. Many of these 'originals' have been edited and renamed but he catalogs all the basic Raw shots. (I tend to edit quite fiercely and don't retain so many 'originals' on my computer or catalog system).

Now, even with many deletions, he's having trouble with more than one image having the same file name/number from the camera. (OK, he could rename them in due course by adding a letter or number, and I could suggest a couple of other things to him, but he's not the most computer-savvy person and apparently has trouble when he uploads from the camera).

Anyway, I've read the above posts, and others, so I can see how to reset numbering as required, but this doesn't get rid of the duplication of numbers once you get past the 9999 mark. So is there any way he, on a K10d, can alter the "IMGP" part by perhaps adding or changing a letter to that prefix?

Thankful for any help....... I can't find a thing in the manual or the guidebook I have.

Geoff
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GeoffWessex Quote
Sorry about this late question - I've searched the forums using all kinds of keywords but....

Both a colleague and I use K10Ds..... I thought I was quite prolific until I got a call from my colleague today - he's reaching, for the third time, the file number limit, having already passed "IMGP9999" twice. Many of these 'originals' have been edited and renamed but he catalogs all the basic Raw shots. (I tend to edit quite fiercely and don't retain so many 'originals' on my computer or catalog system).

Now, even with many deletions, he's having trouble with more than one image having the same file name/number from the camera. (OK, he could rename them in due course by adding a letter or number, and I could suggest a couple of other things to him, but he's not the most computer-savvy person and apparently has trouble when he uploads from the camera).

Anyway, I've read the above posts, and others, so I can see how to reset numbering as required, but this doesn't get rid of the duplication of numbers once you get past the 9999 mark. So is there any way he, on a K10d, can alter the "IMGP" part by perhaps adding or changing a letter to that prefix?

Thankful for any help....... I can't find a thing in the manual or the guidebook I have.

Geoff
I have multiple pentax bodies all over 9999 limit. Here's what I do.

I have a directory which I upload all my images called transfer, with sub directories for each body.

I upload my photos into the correct trasnfer directory and use batch rename in PSPX2. I add the leading digit (1 in my case) and a prefox for the camera K10D or *istD and rename the images before anything else.

I have set my K7 to have th eprefix K7D- in the camera and won't have to address anytrhing until I hit 10K
09-29-2009, 01:43 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Thanks for the swift reply, Lowell.

I can pass that on to the other user, but I'm not so sure how he'll manage..... he's one of sort of people who bought his first digital camera, Adobe PSCS3 and his first computer all at the same time and he really struggles. He's a good photographer and a great framer, though!

In your last sentence, you mention that you've set your K7 to have the prefix K7D- "in the camera" .......... any idea if you can do this with the K10? Thinking that he (and probably me, a little later) could use something like K10-1, K10-2 etc.....

Geoff
09-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Pentaxian

With the K10, I think about all you can do in camera is change the colourspace from Adobe RGB to sRGB. This alters the filename convention. other than that, probably use some sort of batch rename on the image files that you already have on your computer to alter them away from the Pentax naming convention.

09-29-2009, 05:21 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Thanks, Wheatfield. I came to a similar conclusion, having checked out the Flickr K10 Group.
My friend uses a Mac, PS and Bridge, but I think I'll suggest Aperture for him, which apparently will do the job of renaming in a batch.
Geoff