Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 11:40 AM   #1

K20D buying advice

Im looking at getting my first DSLR, and I honestly cant find a camera that offers more features than the K20D (within my price range).

Its big/chunky and well built.

It can use old and new pentax lenses (you cant beat pentax glass)

And it has an LCD screen on top.

And it seems to fill more of my criteria than any competing camera (sony a380, d5000, d200, 500D and the alpha a700)

Now are there any real main advantages to the K20D over the GX-20?

I will be shooting mainly raw, if I shoot in the pentax compressed raw format, will I loose any quality (after decompression) over a standard RAW file?

Im just trying to justify spending extra on the pentax body over the Samsung.

Thanks for looking!

07-19-2009, 01:06 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K20D and GX20 are basically the same camera in terms of sensor and results, although as I understand it the K20D has a wider option for RAW output. Otherwise, I know there are minor advantages of the K20D over the GX20 (which elude my knowledge), but I can't be any more helpful than that.

Have a look at each cam's spec sheets and there's where you'll see the important differences.
07-19-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The two differences that I know of are that the K20 supports writing to PEF files for raw output, as well as to uncompressed DNG. The GX20 only will write to DNG (these are quite large files). The other thing is that support for the GX20 will be done by Samsung, whereas Pentax will do support for the K20. I have been very happy with the turn around time of Pentax when my K20 had an issue here in the States, but I have heard a few negatives about Samsung's rapidness with servicing.

All of that is a long way of saying that they are basically the same camera.
07-19-2009, 01:29 PM   #4

Original Poster
Will PEF and DNG be the same quality?

Or will DNG still be a higher quality?

07-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There's long-standing arguments over whether DNG has 'higher' quality RAW data due to larger file size and 'better' compatibility with Adobe software, but in reality they are both lossless data formats and essentially equal in flexibility.

PEFs are smaller because they're compressed, but are just as compatible with the appropriate Camera Raw plugin (4.6 for the K20D), which I can highly recommend in you're going with Photoshop.
07-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I wouldn't base a decision based on PEF vs. DNG. Imho the only time that raw file format comes into play is when a camera only uses a proprietary format that doesn't have widespread support (eg RW1 on my DLux4, ORF on the Olympus E-P1). At least Pentax gives you a choice and I always shoot DNG because I know it's supported.

For Samsung vs. Pentax, depends on the after-market support.
07-19-2009, 01:55 PM   #7

Original Poster
Ok thanks

I think im going to go with the pentax for four reasons.

1. I get the choice of raw formats
2. I value after sales support
3. i have used pentax for along time and cannot fault them
4. The buttons are raised slightly more on the body than the GX-20, making it easier to use.

07-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Luke,
welcome to the pentax family!

You mentioned the LCD screen on the shoulder. I can't begin to tell you how handy that is. at night, when i've got the camera on a tripod, i just tap the +/- button and it illuminates that screen. I can adjust iso, shutter and aperture using that screen and camera buttons. very handy to bracket an image for later examination by varying the settings. lcd shoulder screens are a valuable item for anyone who photographs a lot.
07-19-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Luke_ Quote
Now are there any real main advantages to the K20D over the GX-20?

I will be shooting mainly raw, if I shoot in the pentax compressed raw format, will I loose any quality (after decompression) over a standard RAW file?
No quality difference between PEF and DNG. Raw is raw. But PEF is compressed and takes less space and thus faster to write on the card.

There are also minor differences like the 21fps mode which is not available on the Samsung and some informations in Liveview not available on the Pentax.

Also the buttons and menus are different and you may like one better than the other. The battery grip are not compatible, make sure you have access to the Samsung one if you plan getting one.

But the most important: you cannot participate in the PPG if you have a Samsung
07-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Inactive Account

The GX-20 battery grip is nearly impossible to buy in the US. You have to find an international seller.
07-19-2009, 11:36 PM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks guys, you have really helped me out!

Information like buying grips etc, I just wouldn't know that by comparing spec sheets, really helpful.