Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Forum Member

K200D not closing the aperture

Hey gang! I currently have a problem with my K200D. I'm not really sure whether it is a camera problem or my lenses, but I'm pretty sure it is the camera since I tried 3 manual "A" lenses on it.

My k200d won't stop down the aperture on my FA and A lenses. I have tried all modes including M and it still won't. Even if I use the aperture ring and say dial it down to f/5.6 still the camera wouldn't adjust the aperture upon taking the shot.

On my DA*, everything works fine with the aperture stopping down during the shot. This makes me wonder what's with the DA* (or absent) that makes it work.

I btw have cleaned the contacts on the 3 A lenses, as well as the contacts on my camera. Hopefully someone here can help me.

Thanks!

07-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Under your Custom Settings Menu, item 23, have you set 'Using Aperture ring' to 'Permitted'?
07-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Under your Custom Settings Menu, item 23, have you set 'Using Aperture ring' to 'Permitted'?
Sorry I forgot to mention that I also have tried this. Even if I don't permit using aperture ring the lens should have worked fine since I had it in "A." I tried using the aperture ring, and the aperture reading on the camera would change... but when I take a shot the aperture doesn't close.
07-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
My K200D does the same when set in Aperture Priority with my SMC M manual lenses. No matter what I do - DOF preview, green button - the lens iris doesn't close down in preview mode or at exposure time when set at the default Aperture Priority.

If I want the iris to stop down I have to switch to 'M' manual with my older lenses. Everything works OK then. I can then use the green button or the DOF preview to stop the iris down. Exposures work correctly on 'M' too.

fwiw.

07-20-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
My K200D does the same when set in Aperture Priority with my SMC M manual lenses. No matter what I do - DOF preview, green button - the lens iris doesn't close down in preview mode or at exposure time when set at the default Aperture Priority.

If I want the iris to stop down I have to switch to 'M' manual with my older lenses. Everything works OK then. I can then use the green button or the DOF preview to stop the iris down. Exposures work correctly on 'M' too.

fwiw.
Normally, it does as what you say it does. But mine doesn't stop down at all even in M mode. I guess nobody else has ever encountered this problem with their cameras. oh well.. hopefully it goes away coz the last time this happened it just went away after I cleaned the contacts. Not sure why it's not working this time though.
07-20-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out this thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67003-omg-aperture-lever-broken.html

It might help your problem.

Actually, that thread was a day ago. Pretty recent, so don't panic!
07-20-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67003-omg-aperture-lever-broken.html

It might help your problem.

Actually, that thread was a day ago. Pretty recent, so don't panic!
Thanks for the help... but I must say that I am even more panicking. lol. My problem is different from what you guys experienced. My lenses stay open all the time, no matter what setting/mode, or aperture on the aperture ring. I'm thinking it's stuck at wide open for all lenses except my DA*. My DA* actually works as it should (thank God!). I just covered a concert last night without a problem, but still my FA and manual "A" lenses don't stop down