Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nice photo frank...
Went to a dinner party and saw one the guests shooting with it.
Tried it briefly and I walked away feeling that it was just a glorified higher spec PnS that's a transition camera between something like the Canon G10/Leica D-Lux and a DSLR.
But it is definitely not a DSLR replacement in my opinion.
I agree with you, and that's exactly why I bought it. The "high end" point and shoots all have that crippling tiny sensor. They're great in good lighting, but they all fall apart as soon as the light goes down. The Sigma DP1-2 sounded nice, except you were stuck with one lens, and the processing power was practically non-existent (took forever to take one raw image).

The Pen gets it right in a lot of ways. Snappy operation like most P&S cameras, slightly larger, but still easy to use/carry. Looks like a P&S so it isn't intimidating to subjects (great for street photography) and it gets into places that don't allow "professional" (read "dSLR") cameras. The LCD is great for composing shots and is plenty good in the bright Texas sun. AF is fine (in fact, it performed better than my K20D with DA*16-50 the other night - the 16-50 was hunting while the Pen with kit zoom focused fine; probably a problem with my 16-50).

You could put an adapter on it and start adding all these different lenses (like the gentleman above) but once you do that, you lose the advantage of this camera. Plus, that's when the lack of a viewfinder becomes problematic. It's easy to hold the camera steady and use the LCD with the small MFT lenses. It's much less so with a large telephoto hanging off of it. That being said, I'd love it if Olympus came out with something like the DA70mm.

07-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Nice photo frank...
Went to a dinner party and saw one the guests shooting with it.
Tried it briefly and I walked away feeling that it was just a glorified higher spec PnS that's a transition camera between something like the Canon G10/Leica D-Lux and a DSLR.
But it is definitely not a DSLR replacement in my opinion.
Like any tool, you have to understand what it is good for and where it is lacking. I love my Mikita power drill but it makes a lousy crowbar

The E-P1 is not a dSLR replacement unless you have a really poor dSLR. The K20d files are much "better" than the E-P1, but in some instances I prefer the look of the E-P1 files. It just depends on the application. The Oly sensor has different noise (and more of it).

Right now I'm actually pretty happy. The DLux4 will go anywhere and I can get a good file out of it, plus shoot HD video in a pinch. The K20d is great for "serious" stuff and I can run whatever lens I want. The E-P1 is for when I specifically want a "better" file than the DLux4 can give but still want to be unobtrusive and have some flexibility as well as get video if necessary.

For instance today I was scouting locations. I took my K20d with 50-135* on it as I knew I'd want to get some "closeups" but likely would be some distance away. And I carried the DLux4 as "backup" and to cover wide. When some ambient sound started I switched to video on the DLux4 so I could get that as a reference. The E-P1 stayed at home as I wasn't doing *that* kind of shoot.

Horses for courses...
07-22-2009, 04:12 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
That being said, I'd love it if Olympus came out with something like the DA70mm.
I have a Voightlander 40/1.4 RF lens coming with M-4/3 adapter. It'll be more work, but should be an interesting experiment.
07-22-2009, 07:11 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
The E-P1 looks really nice. Saw a guy using it this way yesterday:

Talked to him briefly, he's complaining that the camera was too small and light for his 50-200mm lens
How can you take somebody seriously with this type of a set-up?
It's like an instamatic camera with an oversized lens!
I wonder how it would look with those humongous 500mm telephoto lenses..hehe