Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

K10D shutter release button not working well . Any ideas

I've had my Pentax K10D since Nov., 2007. It's always functioned perfectly. Today when I press the shutter release button...sometimes the shutter actuates...sometimes it does not. It seems to be working about 5 out of 6 times...then won't work, even if I keep the button pressed down.

The battery is fully charged. I have the grip so I switched the power from body to the battery in the grip. I took the battery out of the body and put it back in. Still the problem exists. The card has plenty of space left on it. I changed the setting to all the different spots...aperture, shutter priority, TV, etc., even manual...same deal..I changed the lens from a Pentax 16-45 to a Pentax 50 mm F 1.4.

The shutter release button sometimes actuates the shutter...sometimes it doesn't. I'm also concerned about the focus it doesn't seem as accurate and hunts more...some pix don't seem to be in as sharp focus as before.

I'm planning to go on a trip a day from now, fortunately I have my new Pentax KM.

Any suggestions as to what the problem might be, what needs to be done to fix it ?

Last edited by lesmore49; 07-19-2009 at 06:52 PM.
07-19-2009, 06:56 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think this problem has anything to do with your settings, the battery or your memory card.
It sounds purely mechanical, the button not being sensitive to triggering the shutter (or is temperamental). Have you tried different pressing force to see if merely pressing harder solves the problem. If the problem is still there despite pressing hard, it'd be hard to say whether its a mechanical or electrical issue
07-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't think this problem has anything to do with your settings, the battery or your memory card.
It sounds purely mechanical, the button not being sensitive to triggering the shutter (or is temperamental). Have you tried different pressing force to see if merely pressing harder solves the problem. If the problem is still there despite pressing hard, it'd be hard to say whether its a mechanical or electrical issue
I have tried different amounts of force and also I have continued depressing the shutter release button while moving the camera to a different subject...nothing. Also the six sided icon flashes in the info screen inside the viewfinder when the shutter isn't actuating. I'm also concerned about the speed and the camera's ability to focus...this seems to be a bit of an issue now.

Thank you for your reply.
07-19-2009, 08:23 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Seem to have it working. I cleaned all the lens and K10D contacts with a soft cloth. Activated the beep for focus confirmation, moved the wheels back and front to make sure they were positively clicked , moved the focus settings around...don't know why, but all (fingers crossed) seems to be working.

Les

07-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

That changes things.
Are you sure the focusing mode switch on your camera body is properly set to AF.S or AF.C? If it's between one of these or tending towards the MF setting, the camera may not function properly.

The 'six sided figure' that flashes in the viewfinder is the focus lock/focus failure icon - flashing indicates failure (for whatever reason). If the AF motor doesn't run at all from the time you depress halfway to the time you depress fully, then there may be an issue with AF - you may need to trouble shoot a little more, and don't forget to go through your manual - it's quite informative...
07-19-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Never mind....
07-19-2009, 10:48 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
That changes things.
Are you sure the focusing mode switch on your camera body is properly set to AF.S or AF.C? If it's between one of these or tending towards the MF setting, the camera may not function properly.

The 'six sided figure' that flashes in the viewfinder is the focus lock/focus failure icon - flashing indicates failure (for whatever reason). If the AF motor doesn't run at all from the time you depress halfway to the time you depress fully, then there may be an issue with AF - you may need to trouble shoot a little more, and don't forget to go through your manual - it's quite informative...
To be honest, I'm not convinced, although I fervently hope, that my troubles are over yet. The AF was working well and so was the shutter release button...for now. I didn't realize that the six sided icon flashing indicated AF trouble. Thanks for the info...I will monitor things.

I have read the manual quite awhile ago, but I'm sure I forgot most of it., I find the manual not clear , although it may just be me. I have bought the Bourque and Lantern K10D manuals to supplement the K10D. I find both these manuals good.