Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 06:22 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I believe that K-7 will release the shutter in AF.C after about 0.7s of unsucessfull attempts to focus.
I just tested, in AF-C it will release the shutter immediately on the first press. If you hold the shutter pressed, it will attempt to refocus between each shot but it will not allow the frame rate to drop below about 1fps. Not an exact figure, but I put my hand in front of the lens to prevent successful focus and the K-7 continue to fire nonetheless albeit at a much slower rate.

In short the behaviour is release priority on the 1st shot, then a balance between focus and release. I believe that balance was strongly in favour of release on the K10D and that was leading to many OOF shots in a AF-C sequence. The K20D was more balanced towards focus just like the K-7.

What would be interesting maybe for a future model or firmware is to have more options to tweak these priorities. For example, for subjects I know the focus won't change much, I'd prefer to have more priority to the release so I can reach near the maximum fps that the camera is capable.

07-20-2009, 07:50 PM   #32
Banned

Original Poster
It's funny to read some comments. Pentax AF system is far behind Nikon with moving objects and reportage.
K-7 has good level AF and it's real evolution of SAFOX, but it's still SAFOX VIII.

Dear Pentaxians, it (maybe) sounds unbelievable for your ears, but it's FACT:

Nikon D3, D3X, D300, D700 can really offer 100% results with AF-C with moving object without fall of speed.
Remark - not in 100% cases of shooting. Sometimes you can get only 30 or 50% sharp shots.
BUT. This camera really has AF-C speed as you can read it in specification and you really can get 100% sharp photos in this condition or another.

K-7's AF-C speed with moving object is not the best among semi-pro APS-C DSLR.
As for K10D or K20D, this cameras are 50% worse than K-7 in AF-C.

Last edited by Bunny Gear; 07-20-2009 at 09:40 PM.
07-20-2009, 08:00 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
It's funny to read some comments. Pentax AF system is far behind Nikon with moving objects and reportage.
K-7 has good level AF and it's real evolution of SAFOX, but it's still SAFOX VIII.

Dear Pentaxians, it's maybe sound unbelievable for your ears, but it's FACT:

Nikon D3, D3X, D300, D700 can really offer 100% results with AF-C with moving object without fall of speed.
Remark - not in 100% cases of shooting. Sometimes you can get only 30 or 50% sharp shots.
BUT. This camera really has AF-C speed as you can read it in specification and you really can get 100% sharp photos in this condition or another.

Then buy a Nikon, and go away....
07-20-2009, 08:31 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

I feel I've been tricked

07-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Then buy a Nikon, and go away....
+1

[ten characters]
07-20-2009, 09:15 PM   #36

You're right that those cameras you listed above have better AF-C performance.

But if we picked two low-cost cameras, of course the D300 has better AF-C accuracy than the K20D, and recent reviews have proven that. But what you don't point out is that you're not doing an apple-to-apple comparison - the D300 body is 1.5x the cost of the K20D (using local price list), and that's not even including a lens or any image stabilisation with the D300. The additional cost of a stabilised kit to cover 18mm-200mm is 5x more for the D300 than the additional cost for the K20D.

Now picking two high-cost cameras that you mentioned (at least as high as Pentax goes), of course the D3X will have better AF-C than the K7. But what do you expect with a camera that costs over 8x more than the other? I mean are you serious?

Go to a Toyota forum and complain about the car not being as fast as a Ferrari that costs 8x as much, and i think it would be equally funny to see the comments you get back.
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
RH returns!!!

07-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #38
Banned

Original Poster
Stratman and yeatzee, are your ordinary fans?

Read the name of this thread and switch your brain on.

There is a BIG difference between AF-S and AF-C's speed in K-7.
I can't see this info in official specs.

There is no SUCH difference with Canon 50D, Nikon D300, Olympus E-3.
For example.

I still wait for SAFOX IX.
07-20-2009, 09:50 PM   #39
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
RH returns!!!
AF-C of K-7 is stone age of AF. Not only far behind Nikon, and Olympus and Canon. it's TRUTH. it's sad.

Pentax says 5.2 fps in specs without any remark. But K-7 can't 5.2 fps in AF-C.

K-7 can't exceed even 2 fps with some lenses (for example, with DA*16-50). It's the shame.

I don't want to close my eyes and repeat like zombie "Pentax K-7 rules and AF-C is not the problem"
07-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #40
Veteran Member

OMG, I must now sell all my crappy Pentax gear. You have shown me the light! AF-C performance is THE most important criteria EVER!!!

07-20-2009, 10:27 PM   #41
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
OMG, I must now sell all my crappy Pentax gear. You have shown me the light! AF-C performance is THE most important criteria EVER!!!
Don't clown around. For some users AF-C is very important.
Why can't I want to have MODERN LEVEL of AF-C in the newest Pentax camera?
07-20-2009, 10:36 PM   #42
Veteran Member

why do I get this feeling that there is a renegade on the loose. a devil incarnate.
07-20-2009, 10:41 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Don't clown around. For some users AF-C is very important.
Why can't I want to have MODERN LEVEL of AF-C in the newest Pentax camera?
Just buy a Canikon and be happy!!!

07-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #44
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
why do I get this feeling that there is a renegade on the loose. a devil incarnate.
Your nickname speaks for itself
07-20-2009, 10:47 PM   #45
Banned

Original Poster
I hate clowns. I don't like Nikon and Canon.