Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 10:50 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
I hate clowns.

07-20-2009, 10:54 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Nostatic, Didn't I read you returned your K-7 ???

Returned your K-7 for cash back & not an exchange for a better K-7, right?

Just curious why you would return a used, no longer new K-7 for a full refund ???

I could be wrong, didn't you say you were returning your K-7 buried somewhere in a thread here?

If so why ??? I'm curious. I've read the long thread detailing the many defective sensors lurking in K-7:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65879-k7-busted-se...tion-body.html

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Just buy a Canikon and be happy!!!

07-20-2009, 10:59 PM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Returned your K-7 for cash back & not an exchange for a better K-7, right?

Just curious why you would return a used, no longer new K-7 for a full refund ???

I could be wrong, didn't you say you were returning your K-7 buried somewhere in a thread here?

If so why ??? I'm curious. I've read the long thread detailing the many defective sensors lurking in K-7:
Geez, schädenfreude much?

Too much caffeine or are you trying to derail yet another thread where you talk about your Canon gear?

Please try to keep up:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/66741-honeymoon-ov...g-divorce.html

I'll likely end up with another K7 by the end of the year as I rather miss it and have figured out how it'll fit into my needs/wants (ie it is not a K20d replacement). For now I'm messing around with this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67144-middle-groun...mise-e-p1.html
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
Then buy a Nikon, and go away....
I know some of you out there won't like the "degrading" tone of him "bashing" Pentax. All he is trying to do is point out the AF-C isn't that great compared to other brands and for some people upgrading from other dSLRs, they should know this.

But I (and others) are curious as to where you base your opinions on. You "claim" that the Nikon D300, D700 and D3 perform extremely well with continuous AF and that the K-7 performs "sub-par", but this completely contradicts what I have seen from other "dependable" users like falconeye, who personally tested a pre-production "alpha" K-7, and the only reason why so many of us believe his tests are legit is simply b/c of the extensive testing he has done and his dedication to photography.

I know it is a burden, but a lot of the Pentax users on this forum will NOT believe you (regardless if it is true or not) until they see some extensive testing. I personally have not handled a CaNikon camera (with AF-C) yet, it is hard to believe that a camera can AF so quickly a reliably.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67103-k-7-af-c-performance.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65382-k-7-fps-put-test.html

Arpe mentions that turning off in-camera features such as lens correction dramatically increases FPS.

It is just hard to believe to hear someone saying how slow the K-7 is after so many positive reviews said about it from other K-7 users.

07-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Your nickname speaks for itself
just by quoting me, you just sold yourself there, buddy !!! that's how you trap the culprit !!! owned !
07-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I know some of you out there won't like the "degrading" tone of him "bashing" Pentax. All he is trying to do is point out the AF-C isn't that great compared to other brands and for some people upgrading from other dSLRs, they should know this.

But I (and others) are curious as to where you base your opinions on. You "claim" that the Nikon D300, D700 and D3 perform extremely well with continuous AF and that the K-7 performs "sub-par", but this completely contradicts what I have seen from other "dependable" users like falconeye, who personally tested a pre-production "alpha" K-7, and the only reason why so many of us believe his tests are legit is simply b/c of the extensive testing he has done and his dedication to photography.

I know it is a burden, but a lot of the Pentax users on this forum will NOT believe you (regardless if it is true or not) until they see some extensive testing. I personally have not handled a CaNikon camera (with AF-C) yet, it is hard to believe that a camera can AF so quickly a reliably.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/67103-k-7-af-c-performance.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65382-k-7-fps-put-test.html

Arpe mentions that turning off in-camera features such as lens correction dramatically increases FPS.

It is just hard to believe to hear someone saying how slow the K-7 is after so many positive reviews said about it from other K-7 users.
not to mention that he mentioned that the E-3 and 50D are better than the K-7. what's next? the Rebel T1i and D5000 is better than the K-7?

this is starting to sound ridiculous. all we want are simple extensive testing and basis. not 3rd party sources or word of mouth saying this one is better without any real time testing, setup parameters, et.al.

BG here never stated what were the setup on the other gears used were supposedly superior to the K-7. like lenses, lighting condition, et.al. there is not even a single evidence of sequence photos with time stamps that came from these supposed gears to validate his statement.

BG, we are not pissed on what you state as fact. but we are annoyed on the way you kept on ignoring or bashing the K-7 without showing any proof. how would Pentax listen to you if you can't even show samples of Canikon superiority or Pentax inferiority. it is easy to say that Pentax AF-C sucks because you said so. or make comparisons right out of the box without even have actual testing done.

it's a simple challenge. since you've mentioned that the D700, D300, D3X, 50D, E-3 are superior in AF-C, then it would just be fair if you show us your basis and samples coming from these gears that you've mentioned. otherwise, it would just be an ordinary tall tale told by my grandpa.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-21-2009 at 10:06 AM.
07-20-2009, 11:53 PM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
OMG, I must now sell all my crappy Pentax gear. You have shown me the light! AF-C performance is THE most important criteria EVER!!!

low-light performance is what I'm after. and I'm very happy that I would be able to do shots without struggling focusing anymore under such poor lighting conditions.

07-21-2009, 12:59 AM   #53
Banned

Original Poster
Are there moderators in this forum?
07-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #54
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is the same. Not above 3 fps.

NOSTATIC,
what is your experience with K-7 + AF-C?
07-21-2009, 01:43 AM   #55
Veteran Member

Just tested mine. Definitely slower in AF.C. Actual fps depends on how easily it can get focus.

Of course i would be happier if it was 5.2 in AF.C. fps was one of my main upgrade points. I have not yet had a chance to test it properly in the field but i think "she'll be right". I got great results with a k100d so i suspect i will be pleased with the k7.

Mind you.... about a year ago when i played with a canon 1D and L glass the fps and AF blew me away. No way is the k7 even close to that. BUT the camera/lens was close to $15k, the pentax is nowhere near that price.

mike
07-21-2009, 01:53 AM   #56
Veteran Member

I've taken a bit less than a hundred shots in total in Drive mode and AF-C. Some of it chasing my pair of very active pre-schooler and toddler around the front garden and backyard.
Not quite fast action sports, but anyone who's tried to keep up with a toddler will know the challenge.
First the good bit. AF-C on the K-7 is effective, unlike my previous Pentax experience. It continuously tries to lock focus on the target, and no really significant loss of accuracy. Not 100% successful, but most of my shots were keepers.

The not-so-good bit. The drive mode with AF-C certainly won't meet 5.2 fps, more like 2-3 fps. On top of that, the speed is not consistent. Sometimes it slows down a bit (to attempt focus, I guess), sometimes it speeds up (maybe the focus was already spot-on).
By contrast , the Canon 50D will go click-click-click-click almost like a clockwork timer in Drive Mode.

Anyway, I'm not complaining. I didn't primarily buy the K-7 for the drive mode speed, but its not bad, and the AF-C is certainly an improvement for Pentax, reasonably happy with it.
07-21-2009, 02:00 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I just quickly skimmed this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've noticed a significant difference in AF C frame rate between center point or single select point focus mode as opposed to auto/multi point focus mode with the K7. I haven't measured it, but it's very noticeable.

Scott
07-21-2009, 03:22 AM   #58
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I just quickly skimmed this thread, so I don't know if it's been mentioned, but I've noticed a significant difference in AF C frame rate between center point or single select point focus mode as opposed to auto/multi point focus mode with the K7. I haven't measured it, but it's very noticeable.

Scott
Inform us, please. Worse/better?
07-21-2009, 04:03 AM   #59

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Inform us, please. Worse/better?
Just bud in to share my experience using AFC multipoint shooting at my dog running towards me.

It lock focus faster and shooting faster.. but focus can be off.. as the camera might focus on the ground or the grass next to my dog.
07-21-2009, 04:15 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Dear Pentaxians, it (maybe) sounds unbelievable for your ears, but it's FACT:

Nikon D3, D3X, D300, D700 can really offer 100% results with AF-C with moving object without fall of speed.
@Bunny Gear, why didn't you read what I posted?

Something isn't fact just because you call it so. But, something is fact if a German test has produced exact figures for the respective AF.C numbers for various cameras in a standardized test setup.

The figure for D300 was 15 images in 3.6s (90% in focus). This is 4.2 fps or 70% of "advertized" 6 fps.

This is fact.

Eventually, get it or face another fact: that you must be a troll. q.e.d.

In comparison: as I reported, the K-7 does 3.9 fps or 75% of "advertized" 5.2 fps. Overall, the D300 produces 13.5, the K-7 13, good images for this test.