Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 11:20 AM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Something else to be noted -- it's a lot easier to track a moving subject using Continuous High shutter mode with the K7 than with any of the previous bodies. I finally figured out that this was because of the shorter VF blackout times -- you actually see the subject in the VF for longer periods of time during a continuous string, and it's MUCH easier to track.
It also makes a difference for the AF system that has more time to gather focus information. During the blackout not only us but also the camera AE and AF are completely blind. Thank you for sharing your experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic:
They all gild the lilly and will report best-case numbers. And nowhere does it say 5fps for AF-C.
I know I'm repeating myself but the problem is that as soon as you switch to AF-C the frame rate drops to around 3-3.5fps even if the subject is not moving at all! I can understand that on fast moving subjects the fps would slow down a bit just like any camera actually. But not on something that doesn't move at all, when there is no refocus at all.

07-21-2009, 11:52 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
Are there moderators in this forum?
Is there a RiceHigh in this forum?

Oh yeah, he "took his ball and went home..." but it was, apparently, a temporary thing. Misanthropy loves the internet!
07-21-2009, 11:57 AM   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Misanthropy loves the internet!
And so do his cousins Schadenfreude and Hubris!
07-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #79
Veteran Member

I've bought a couple items from Adorama last 10 years but

your story has made me reconsider ever buying a camera from them(again). I did buy one once, but the factory box was in terrible shape yet it was all nicely packed in a perfect shipping box. So the damaged camera box had nothing to do with shipping. This always bothered me with them. Now I think I know why though the shutter count was at zero. Are they able to re-set the counters to zero on returned like new dslr cameras? Thanks for your shopping tip info. So whats the next Adorama buy and try and then return camera on your shopping list, Nostatic?

Oh & how many images did you click off on your K-7 TestDrive as you were not limited to "200" shots? Just curious

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Wow, who pissed in your cornflakes?

And thanks for being my moral compass.

There is no local dealer with the K7. Hence if I want to try it, I have to buy it. Most retailers have a return policy which I followed to the letter, and in fact sent back less than a week after purchasing. Anyone would be hard pressed to tell the camera had been used. B&H has a 200 shot policy, Adorama (where I purchased) does not. In the end I did not like the ergos for what I was trying to do.

I'm glad you've never returned a piece of gear for "working right." I guess you're pretty special and a brilliant customer. And we all know that you buy as cheaply as possible and get the best deal on all your gear as opposed to us idiots that pay full pop.

But thanks for trying to take the piss out of me.

07-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
your story has made me reconsider ever buying a camera from them(again). I did buy one once, but the factory box was in terrible shape yet it was all nicely packed in a perfect shipping box. So the damaged camera box had nothing to do with shipping. This always bothered me with them. Now I think I know why though the shutter count was at zero. Are they able to re-set the counters to zero on returned like new dslr cameras? Thanks for your shopping tip info. So whats the next Adorama buy and try and then return camera on your shopping list, Nostatic?

Oh & how many images did you click off on your K-7 TestDrive as you were not limited to "200" shots? Just curious
would my answer even make a difference to you? If I said 20 or 2000 you'll still think I'm a retail gadfly jerk and I'll still think you're a self-righteous cheapskate. So we're even.

Last edited by nostatic; 07-21-2009 at 12:51 PM.
07-21-2009, 02:16 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Sweet, glad to see I had a handle on what you're doing in testdriving gear

Gotcha, Gaming the system, via Adorama. No way I'll ever buy a new camera from them again since they do not limit shutter counters on returned cameras. Good to know, thanks

Well at least you know you like the K-7 when it cheap enough to buy. Would waiting for a better price on K-7 make you a "cheapskate" too?

I already decided Oly E-Pen 1 is not for me, but it'll be fun to see how your testdrive turns out. any chance you'll get a Panasonic GH1 too? I like some of I've read about it. Not everything though so I'll likely pass on it too.

would my answer even make a difference to you? If I said 20 or 2000 you'll still think I'm a retail gadfly jerk and I'll still think you're a self-righteous cheapskate. So we're even.
07-21-2009, 02:37 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Gotcha, Gaming the system, via Adorama. No way I'll ever buy a new camera from them again since they do not limit shutter counters on returned cameras. Good to know, thanks

Well at least you know you like the K-7 when it cheap enough to buy. Would waiting for a better price on K-7 make you a "cheapskate" too?

I already decided Oly E-Pen 1 is not for me, but it'll be fun to see how your testdrive turns out. any chance you'll get a Panasonic GH1 too? I like some of I've read about it. Not everything though so I'll likely pass on it too.
"gaming the system"? Get over yourself. Return policies exist for a reason. There was no way to demo the camera locally. I tried it and it doesn't work for what I want at the moment. At some point in the future it may and at a lower price I am a lot more willing to overlook my personal ergonomic qualms.

And btw I bought the ep1 from my local shop and it won't be gong back because I was able to shoot a demo unit and look at the demo files at home before buying.

What made you go off? You bunny gear's brother or something?

07-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Who says they're reselling the returned cameras as new? We actually have an Adorama representative here on the forums, she can probably set that one straight...
07-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Who says they're reselling the returned cameras as new? We actually have an Adorama representative here on the forums, she can probably set that one straight...
let's not try to bring facts into this when strawmen and hyperbole are much more fun.

My guess would be it either us sold as "open box" stock or sent back to Pentax for refurb.
07-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #85
Veteran Member

It would be interesting to know why a dslr I bought

from Adorama arrived in a damaged factory box in perfect shipping package. I pointed this out above Pingflood. My personal experience.

After that experience I've spent all my money with B&H and Cameta.

I still have the box, their invoice. I still won't buy from Adorama due to this odd experience. No biggie, their generous dslr camera return policy is another reason I won't buy from them.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
07-21-2009, 03:24 PM   #86
Veteran Member

Sorry, but I hate clowns

Seeing Clowns always puts me in a mood. Weird Huh?

"gaming the system"? Get over yourself. Return policies exist for a reason. There was no way to demo the camera locally. I tried it and it doesn't work for what I want at the moment. At some point in the future it may and at a lower price I am a lot more willing to overlook my personal ergonomic qualms.

And btw I bought the ep1 from my local shop and it won't be gong back because I was able to shoot a demo unit and look at the demo files at home before buying.

What made you go off? You bunny gear's brother or something?
07-21-2009, 03:42 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Seeing Clowns always puts me in a mood. Weird Huh?
Funny how that happens. It's all good - I just take exception to being taken to task on something that is not only clearly within the stated policies, but also within my own moral/ethical code.

I understand where you're coming from, and I have in the past railed against some of what I would consider "abusive" practices. For instance, I hate people who go to a brick and mortar place, take the salesperson's time, then go buy the item online because they can get it for less money. I think that is rude, shows a lack of respect for people's time, and is just plain wrong. Another is people test driving cars when they have no intention of buying and are not in the market.

In my case, I had zero opportunity to touch/feel a K7 locally. My preferred shop (where I bought the E-P1) no longer carries Pentax, nor does Samys (another larger local chain). As anyone who has read my posts here knows, ergonomics is important to me. And I had my doubts going in, but the only way to know is to do the experiment.

Knowing that I was on the fence, the K7 was handled with kid gloves during my tests. In fact I treat all my gear very well so it wasn't that much of a stretch. In then end I not only lived up to the letter of the return policy, but the spirit as well - the body was "as new" when sent back, all original packaging was where it should be, no marks, stains, etc. I gave them my money in good faith (which they still have btw), and lived up to the deal as set forth by the company. I did not go "joy riding" - I had all intentions of buying and keeping. But I need to see the personal value in the $1300 spent. For me the ergos tipped that the wrong direction. However I also had certain expectations going in that I have since reset. It is an iterative process. I now have a different perspective on the body and how I would/could use it.
07-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Wow... you guys need to get a room. I think you have some unresolved issues.

BTW, Ignore the bunny. The FACT thing is cultural. I work with people like him and they PISS ME OFF ALL THE TIME. I do my best to not let them get to me but the fact that someone employs clueless "know it all idiots" bothers me. I ignore them as much as possible, unfortunately our customers can't.

This is the RANT thread isn't it!?!?!?

mike
07-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I think you have some unresolved issues.

mike
My ex-wives would likely agree with you.
07-21-2009, 04:52 PM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunny Gear Quote
Try another test with moving objects in good condition.
D300 can make 6 fps with 100% in focus. It's FACT.
K-7 can't 5.2 fps.
My friend tried K-7 with DA*16-50 - NO ANY 3.9 FPS AT ALL.
Approx. 2.5 fps.
"boo-hoo the neighbors toy's got more buttons than mine"

You can't even write properly nor make any point at all except parroting the same specs over and over. Please convince me you're not a 15 yo troll.