Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2007, 03:28 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
4GB card & K100D

Tried searching the forum for related posts but nothing on the apparent compatibility of the K100D (with firmware update 1.02) with the 4GB SD cards. I'm ignorant about the idea of SDHD... is a 4GB SDHD card different from a 'regular' 4GB SD? Is there such a thing?

I'm curious because I recently purchased a 4GB card for my K100D and have had trouble storing more than around 100 RAW photos (beyond approx 1GB). All pictures are OK to view until the 100th shot is taken, then every pending shot taken only appears in the instant preview, but not viewable afterwards loading them from the SD card. The prompt given is something like 'image not readable from memory card'.

Even importing the pictures beyond the first 100 is impossible. Errors appear. I've tried formatting the card with the camera, and then formatting the card with my iMac. Neither method changes this problem. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a problem with the SD card or my firmware?

05-07-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would venture a guess that it is a card problem. I use a 2GB SD card and get 186 raw images off it. I've never had a single one fail to write properly (I'm at about 8000 shots on it at this point).
05-07-2007, 03:54 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Finn,
Thanks for your reply. Is your card normal SD or SDHC? Just looking up the difference now and am finding the firmware should permit K100D to support SDHC as well as regular SD cards. Or does that not include regular SD cards of 4GB and over?
05-07-2007, 03:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Card brand?

05-07-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fake?

Wish I knew - see the picture - looks like some kind of fake SanDisk brand. Got it on eBay from ABQ liquidators, a US company on eBay... I must be shooting myself in the foot with these cheap imitation purchases. It's just not working out...

Think I'll be going genuine from now on - burnt too many times...

Last edited by Ash; 02-14-2008 at 01:28 PM.
05-07-2007, 05:04 AM   #6

If you're using an usb sd card reader, try connecting the camera directly and use that to transfer your files. Your reader may not support sdhc.

(Maybe a long shot, but worth the try)
05-07-2007, 05:07 AM   #7
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Kjetil,

The issue is also that the pictures just don't come up on preview mode on the camera itself, meaning the files are corrupted or unreadable on the SD card itself. I'm thinking SD card incompatibility - just my bad luck.

05-07-2007, 05:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Ash,
Unfortunately, SDHC and non-SDHC 4 GB cards are not the same and I do not believe the non-SDHC variety are supported by Pentax. The addressing problem you describe is a common compatibility problem with the 4 GB cards with many devices and readers. You should be okay with SD cards up to 2GB and with SDHC cards. Dave
05-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You could have another problem. If its a fake card the company could also be lying about its capacity! It may only be a 1G card internally. They lied once, why tell the truth now? Maybe there is a way to hook the card to the computer and verify its 4G?
thanks
barondla
05-07-2007, 06:05 AM   #10
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Dave. I'm sure that's what it is. Need to have an SDHC card. But I do think this card I have is 4GB, just not SDHC. Camera shows over 350 shot capacity on indicator when inserted. Anyway, lesson learnt. Cheers all.
05-07-2007, 06:08 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Hi Kjetil,

The issue is also that the pictures just don't come up on preview mode on the camera itself, meaning the files are corrupted or unreadable on the SD card itself. I'm thinking SD card incompatibility - just my bad luck.
Sorry, I misread you. I thought you could see them on the camera but not on your computer.
05-07-2007, 08:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I had purchased 4X 4 giga scandisc SD cards off ebay to realise that they are all fakes: not only they do not work over if volume is over 2 giga each and the images recorded are all reported as faulty. I even had one kingston purchased off ebay which can successfully recorded images til corrupted when opened with photoshop... Quite dodgy there.

Then I got SDHD cards which are all compatible with pentax camera bodies

However, I doubt SDHD version is available with 4 Giga scandisc III; I had purchased 2 SD 4 giga scandisc III and only one works very well on k10d

I bought one Toshiba SDHd card which works ok but a bit slow
05-07-2007, 08:54 AM   #13

Yes, it's a fake card. As far as I know all SanDisk cards (regardless of the card type) contain the words "SanDisk" above the U in "ultra" and (R) symbol between "ultra" and "II". Witness here. Also, according to the SanDisk website they don't have 4 GB regular SD cards in their lineup, just 4 GB SDHC cards.
05-07-2007, 06:56 PM   #14
Inactive Account

I've had very good luck with the Transcend 1,2 & 4GB SD cards. I buy them from Newegg.com but I believe other sites have them as well. They are not the SDHC variety and are rated 150X. I have had no compatiblity issue with them.
05-07-2007, 07:47 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aabram Quote
Yes, it's a fake card. As far as I know all SanDisk cards (regardless of the card type) contain the words "SanDisk" above the U in "ultra" and (R) symbol between "ultra" and "II". Witness here. Also, according to the SanDisk website they don't have 4 GB regular SD cards in their lineup, just 4 GB SDHC cards.
Yep, my 2 GB Sandisk Ultra II has their name just as you describe and your link shows. I have two that came with the K1x0Ds from B&H. I've never had a problem.