Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2006, 11:03 PM   #1

Eneloops!

I know a couple people here and elsewhere have been wondering about the new Eneloop batteries, and since I just bought some I figured I'd share my experiences.

THEY LAST FOR-BLOODY-EVER.

You can't imagine how much of your battery life is lost to NiMH air discharge til you use Eneloops. I bought a set on Friday and I have not had to charge them yet. The fact that they come charged is pretty endearing, too.
I've probably shot, reviewed, and deleted at least 200 RAW and JPEG images, about half with the flash over the course of the past three days. My K100D still says it has full battery, going down to half after several shots, then back up to full after a bit of a rest.

The Eneloops are 2000mAh batteries, but they have already outlasted my 2600mAh NiMHs in days of average use; even though the old NiMHs have more total power, they do not provide even half the real-world performance.

They're costier, but worth every single penny. I paid $12 for 4 AAs; I'd gladly pay $20.

11-07-2006, 12:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I wonder these are available in australia. ? any in ebay?
11-07-2006, 01:22 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes they pop up on ebay in Australia for around $23 per 4pack... I think I might get a set for my flash... as I hate taking it out and finding the batteries went flat just sitting in it...
11-07-2006, 02:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
I wonder these are available in australia. ? any in ebay?
I have just seen an ad in Australian Photography magazine (can't remember which issue but probably very recent).

11-07-2006, 07:09 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by okto Quote
I know a couple people here and elsewhere have been wondering about the new Eneloop batteries, and since I just bought some I figured I'd share my experiences.

THEY LAST FOR-BLOODY-EVER.

You can't imagine how much of your battery life is lost to NiMH air discharge til you use Eneloops. I bought a set on Friday and I have not had to charge them yet. The fact that they come charged is pretty endearing, too.
I've probably shot, reviewed, and deleted at least 200 RAW and JPEG images, about half with the flash over the course of the past three days. My K100D still says it has full battery, going down to half after several shots, then back up to full after a bit of a rest.

The Eneloops are 2000mAh batteries, but they have already outlasted my 2600mAh NiMHs in days of average use; even though the old NiMHs have more total power, they do not provide even half the real-world performance.

They're costier, but worth every single penny. I paid $12 for 4 AAs; I'd gladly pay $20.
Is it because they actually have 1.5 volts, instead of 1.2 like all other rechargeables?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-07-2006, 08:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Is it because they actually have 1.5 volts, instead of 1.2 like all other rechargeables?
No. The Eneloops are NiMH and as such they are 1.2V. They keep their charge for a long time, that's the main difference.
11-07-2006, 11:08 AM   #7

I presume these can be charged in any standard NiMh charger and don't require a special charger.
11-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digibits Quote
I presume these can be charged in any standard NiMh charger and don't require a special charger.
Yup!
Update: I've taken three or four dozen flash pictures since my last post. Same behavior: full battery, depletes to half after a few shots, back up to full after a few seconds.

11-08-2006, 04:58 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by okto Quote
Just for the information of the forum: the well known german battery maker ansmann also produces batteries with the same technology as sanyo's eneloops. they are called "ansmann maxE". you can read all about them on ansmann's website. in europe, the maxEs might be a tad cheaper and/or easier to find in shops than the sanyos.
11-09-2006, 10:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I already get 600+ shots out of my NiMH's. They're Sanyo, but not Eneloops. I do know about NiMH's discharging if they sit for a while, but I guess my batteries don't sit that long without being used. I still haven't heard anything that makes me want to give up my 2600mAh batteries for 2000mAh batteries.