Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K10D + LL-60 Focusing Screen + K/M lenses

It Works !!!

Just got my new LL-60 Focusing screen, and installed it into my K10D eager to test that green button magic.

IT WORKS !!!

Tested on
Pentax SMC A 50 1:1.4
Tokina AT-X 80-400 1:4.5-5.6
Vivitar 2X Macro Tele Converter + the SMC 50.

Each lens tested both with Av mode and then M mode + green button at 3 apertures - opened, closed, in between (of course the TC + 50 was only tested manually as the TC has no contacts). The Tokina was tested at 80/200/400. The TC was also tested in 1:1 macro mode.

Conclusions - It works.

Now, if you can answer my 2 questions :

1. Why doesn't Pentax equip the K10D with the *ist screens ?
2. Any recommendations for a good K/M lens to look for ?

Hope this will help some of you

** 08-May-2007 **
Another thread on the subject raised the issue of the (in)accuracy of manual focusing with this focusing screen.
As I didn't pay to much attention to this in my original testing, I tested the (manual) focusing accuracy today. Testing was done with 2 lenses at several focal lengths again a focusing chart and in real-life situations.

NO PROBLEMS WITH THE FOCUSING WERE FOUND.

(I did find that my SMC A 50 mm 1:1.4 suffers from CA - never noticed it before .... it's a lesson for me - don't test !)

Last edited by ben-pentax; 05-08-2007 at 08:08 AM.
05-07-2007, 10:49 AM   #2
Forum Member

Are you saying it fixes the M/K metering problem? What sort of screen is the LL-60?
05-07-2007, 10:55 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That's exactly what I'm saying.

The screen itself is designed for the *ist line of cameras but fits perfectly in the K10D (seems exact same size). There are 3 different screens for the *ist's and the only difference between them is the lines etched on them - so any will do the trick. They are easily bought new (mine is from B&H)
05-07-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I didn't realize there was a focusing issue with the K10! Could someone explain what problems they've been seeing?

05-07-2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr CJ Quote
I didn't realize there was a focusing issue with the K10! Could someone explain what problems they've been seeing?
It's not a focusing issue - it's a metering issue with K/M lenses. The K10D does not properly meter by using the green button with non-A lenses.

Apparently, using a focusing screen from the *ist series corrects this.

I think I'm going to pull the screen out of my D and give this a try before ordering one.
05-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dhodgeh Quote
I think I'm going to pull the screen out of my D and give this a try before ordering one.
I'd appreciate it. Another data point would be nice. Sounds like this might be an easy way around this issue.

Thanks to the OP, as well.

Jer
05-07-2007, 11:23 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Have a look at these two threads for more info on the subject:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/6286-k10d-exposure...on-m-mode.html

and

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/6262-k10d-m-k-lenses.html