Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
High ISO bad?

I have read quite a few topics and discussions on how Pentax cameras dont do well in low light / High ISO situations. More than 1 person has stated that those "canikons" do way better in High ISO sitations and that Pentax photos taken at high ISO are pretty much unusable. I was playing around snapping a few shots off of the unwilling subject known as my dog at ISO 3200 and I didnt really seem to notice much noise at all. Sure if you zoom in to 100% you can see it is a bit grainy, but not a whole lot more than shots I have taken at even ISO 100. Am I missing something in my pictures that others see?

This is Scarlet by the way. I know the composition is not great, overal picture isnt good either I was just trying stuff and this was just a random shot chose out of the set, no PP except to shrink it to be able to upload.

07-20-2009, 06:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

well, you sure do know how to use exposure properly. it is not that Pentax cameras are noisy, it's just a matter of how you deal with the noise. you don't expect that your carpet would be clean if you didn't wipe your shoes on the rug first.
07-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote
I have read quite a few topics and discussions on how Pentax cameras dont do well in low light / High ISO situations. More than 1 person has stated that those "canikons" do way better in High ISO sitations and that Pentax photos taken at high ISO are pretty much unusable. I was playing around snapping a few shots off of the unwilling subject known as my dog at ISO 3200 and I didnt really seem to notice much noise at all. Sure if you zoom in to 100% you can see it is a bit grainy, but not a whole lot more than shots I have taken at even ISO 100. Am I missing something in my pictures that others see?

This is Scarlet by the way. I know the composition is not great, overal picture isnt good either I was just trying stuff and this was just a random shot chose out of the set, no PP except to shrink it to be able to upload.
That does look pretty noisy...
07-20-2009, 09:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well, the issue is that Canikon cameras smear their high ISO shots so that it seems like noise is less, but at a huge cost to detail. Compare the high ISO tests of the K20D versus its competitors on DPReview, and you'll see what I mean.

I don't mind noise at high ISO, and I'm all for preserving detail, but one thing I can't stand (which I'm not sure is a problem with Canikons) is chroma noise, specifically spots or splotches of blue/purple. These tend to show up at tungsten white balances. I think I know the reason for that, but that's for another thread.

Anyway, don't believe all the hype. Even if you look at 6400 ISO shots with the D700 or 5DII, you'll see that the noise is comparable to 1600 on Pentax, but there's still a noticeable loss of detail.

07-20-2009, 09:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

OMG...the Noise...the Noise...

Just kidding....there's a bit of noise in the black (gray ?) part of fabric, to be expected, but the rest of the photo is remarkably clean.

A properly exposed shot at ISO3200 is definitely usable up to A4 print or viewing full screen on an average sized PC monitor.

The problem has been a few posters who put up badly underexposed shots, perhaps boosted up in PP so the Histogram looks good, then it looks really noisy and generally awful.
07-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yeah... I like being given the option of dealing with noise myself. sometimes I simply want to have more detail even with a greater amount of noise. forced smearing simply doesn't do it for me. noise can be a creative element.
07-20-2009, 09:46 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In previous discussions, the main problem faced with high ISO noise is inadequate exposure. ETTR and the high ISO noise we all dread quickly becomes acceptable...
07-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #8

I think the "High ISO - less competitive" discussions have been triggered by the composite DxOMark, a score that in my opinion is constructed somewhat strange. To do my own assessment of the performance of K20D and some other cameras, I took RAW files from Imaging Resource for both K20D, D90 and EOS50D, and converted them with no post processing.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/673340-post86.html

To me there is no big difference in the noise in these images. This is also comfirmed by looking at the SNR (signal to noise) curves in DxOMark, which are almost on top of each other (the printed/normalized version).

I think most people, when evaluating high ISO performance are looking at the noise (as demostrated in many discussions in this forum). Thus the SNR is the proper value to use, for which DxOMark do score these cameras to be very close. The composite number they have constructed, using subjectively set thresholds, IMHO is misleading.

Thus to my eyes, and verified by the SNR values, the K20D/K7 images are as competitive in low light as at least D90 and EOS50D

Best regards,
Haakan

Last edited by Haakan; 07-20-2009 at 11:29 PM.
07-21-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Forum Member

I have K200D and K-7.

Using noise ninja, I find I had trouble clearing the noise at ISO 1600 with the K200D, without smudging the image.
I recently did some shots at ISO 4000 with the K-7, and found I could easily clean up the noise to my liking AND retain details in the image.

The noise of the K-7 is not bad at all, and has a nice film grain look to it. I like to leave a little bit behind, and keep a sharp image.
07-21-2009, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just shot a stage production, the rock opera Tommy, and was very impressed with the exposure and focusing of my K-7 and DA* 50-135. All shots were at 1600 ISO and wide open at f/2.8. Here are a couple of examples.

07-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think Pentax handles there high ISO pretty well. Personally I like the way Pentax handles it, it may have more "noise" but it shows more detail.

Here is a sample shot taken with my K20D. Guess which ISO it was shot at?