Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 02:55 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K100D - upgradet o K20D now or wait a month or so?????? help

Hi Folks,

Any chance of some help - I am trying to decide on an upgrade for my K100D. I have a birthday coming up in September and would love to get my mitts on a K7 & grip but the funds will definitely not stretch that far. I have seen a K20D with grip and kit lens for 690 delivered and I reckon this is a pretty good deal. I would mainly be upgrading for the higher resolution (to allow bigger prints) and the grip to accommodate my big hands.

I have read with interest the reports of price rises etc and am a bit worried that if I wait until September the kit price above will have risen beyond my budget or the K20D will be discontinued and this deal will be gone.

So - Is it a good deal? And do I go for it now or hold out and hope that the deal is still available in September.

Also, I would get the kit above as the body and grip on their own actually cost more than the whole kit. So I would have a kit lens (mark II) to sell as I have a great copy of the tamron 28-75 F2.8 and a sigma 17-35 that also work with my film bodies. Does anyone have any idea what it would be worth in the classifieds? I did a bit of a search but couldn't find anything.
cheers

07-21-2009, 03:03 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey oinkley.
The K20D is a decent upgrade from the K100D.
You won't be disappointed - and really, only if you're into video capturing and faster fps will the K-7 be significantly more attractive.

I can't tell if 690 euros is a good deal in Ireland, but in the US prices hover around $600 for the body, $130 or so for the grip and perhaps around $100 (a used one's available on B&H for $79).

Worthwhile getting the K20D now - prices won't go much lower, and it's sooooo worth the money you'd be paying for it. All the best in that.
07-21-2009, 06:28 PM   #3

I got my K100D almost 2 years ago. When I realized the K200Ds were no longer being produced and that line may not live on, I upgraded my K100D to the K200D - have had it 7 whole days now and all I can say is WOW! It is much more of an upgrade than I thought it was going to be, so I can imagine the K20d would be an even more pleasing jump.

I didn't go K20 b/c of the size and weight but I'm absolutely thrilled with my upgrade. Prices are low now and they only have one place to go (up) so get it now and you won't regret it!
07-21-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photocat Quote
I didn't go K20 b/c of the size and weight but I'm absolutely thrilled with my upgrade. Prices are low now and they only have one place to go (up) so get it now and you won't regret it!
On older models, prices only go down--they don't go up.

Especially in THIS economy.

07-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
On older models, prices only go down--they don't go up.

Especially in THIS economy.

Maybe. I haven't been following camera prices closely but lens prices have been going up! And I've had my eye on a few for several months now.

Before I bought the K200 I literally had the DFA 100 in my shopping basket (about 3 weeks ago) and took it out and decided to "sleep on it" -- next day it was $100 more and hasn't come down since

There is a price bottom even for older models, problem is, no one really knows where the bottom is!

Last edited by photocat; 07-21-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: final thought
07-21-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Inactive Account

If you wait long enough, you will probably get your K7 for $700 euros!

The general trend for all bodies is to go down in price. But you're right, if you wait, it is possible you may lose out on your "deal." Better yet, the price will be lower.

Or just keep on saving, and pick up the K-7 when your increasing funds and the dropping prices converge. That's what I plan to do...

The price rises have been for lens -- that's why everyone always recommend getting good glass as a better "investment."
07-21-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Glass will always be a premium vs bodies. The glass will work on any Pentax body you buy now or for the forseeable future. Pentax glass has gone up in price recently as you can see from the multitude of threads in the Lens and the News/Rumors forum in contrast K20D bodies have been coming down in price.

I'm going to hold off on my upgrade as I feel I have a lot more to learn and my K100DS has a lot more to offer me before I go for another body.
07-22-2009, 01:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies folks, I'm still a bit undecided. i was originally thinking of ugrading to the K200D but that is now gone from the retailer that i tend to use adn they are not getting any more. So that's why I'm a bit nervous about waiting. i'll thnk about it for a few more days and in the mean time to try and make some money towards the new body I have listed a whole heap of stuff for sale in the classifieds.
thanks all

07-22-2009, 03:12 AM   #9

My opinion is that if you buy a k20d and sell it in two years you will lose much less money than if you buy a K7 now and sell it in two years.

I had a K100D and "upgraded" to a K2000/KM recently (mainly because of the AF speed); total cost about 70$US.
I plan to do the same in a year or so with the model that should be announced in September...
07-22-2009, 04:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
The K20D is a decent upgrade from the K100D.
You won't be disappointed - and really, only if you're into video capturing and faster fps will the K-7 be significantly more attractive.
I have the same dilemma as the OP; based on what I read in lots of places, including this forum, it seems that K7 is a vast improvement in terms of auto-focus compared to K20, is that correct? Because I really don't care much about video and more fps, but I do care about AF performance. So I would have thought that the K7 would be "significantly more attractive" also in terms of AF...

Any thoughts?
07-22-2009, 01:23 PM   #11

my 2 cents - regardless of what you read here figure out what your wants, goals and budget are and base your decision on that.

for what it's worth, i have a k100d and i will be upgrading to a k-7 in the next few months. sure i could get a k10 (used) or k20 cheaper but the k100d was my first (d)slr and it took a while for me to reach a point where i felt that the camera was a limiting factor.

in fact i am still not quite there so i will wait a bit to upgrade. the limiting factors so far have been lack of glass so i started buying some, poor built-in flash so i bought a better one, lack of good workflow software so i bought lightroom, lack of good PP software... and so on. as we all know all of these things add up!

however, now that i have the other bases more or less covered i think the camera is becoming my limiting factor and i think that if i got a k10d or k20d i would want to upgrade to a k-7 sooner rather than later so i decided that i will just skip that step and go straight to the k-7.

good luck and i hope you are satisfied with whatever you get
07-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pb_red Quote
my 2 cents - regardless of what you read here figure out what your wants, goals and budget are and base your decision on that.

for what it's worth, i have a k100d and i will be upgrading to a k-7 in the next few months. sure i could get a k10 (used) or k20 cheaper but the k100d was my first (d)slr and it took a while for me to reach a point where i felt that the camera was a limiting factor.

in fact i am still not quite there so i will wait a bit to upgrade. the limiting factors so far have been lack of glass so i started buying some, poor built-in flash so i bought a better one, lack of good workflow software so i bought lightroom, lack of good PP software... and so on. as we all know all of these things add up!

however, now that i have the other bases more or less covered i think the camera is becoming my limiting factor and i think that if i got a k10d or k20d i would want to upgrade to a k-7 sooner rather than later so i decided that i will just skip that step and go straight to the k-7.

good luck and i hope you are satisfied with whatever you get
That is exactly how I am thinking and actually doing.
That is why I got the K100D super in the first place and not the K10D or K20D.
07-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Good to read that you have invested in lenses etc before upgrading the body. If I was going to upgrade bodies (from the K10D) - which I'm not, I'm having enough trouble getting decent glass - I would get the K20D because the K7 doesn't seem like a huge upgrade in the areas I'd want it for. So it depends on your needs really. If video matters that much it might be worth it. The extra frame rate is good. But what I would personally be looking for is a sturdy, good performer with a good performance at a wide ISO range. Although I haven't read up ont he K7 that much, it seems like in the areas I'd care about the K20D would be adequate.