Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 vs GX20 Comparison Shoot

I've seen several question regarding how the K20 & K-7 IQ compare under similar circumstances. I don't own the K20, but I do own the K10, GX20 (the Samsung badged K20) , and the K-7. I'd like to offer to perform a back yard photo shoot using the GX20 and the K-7 and try to capture the same photos under similar lighting and conditions. My back yard isn't spectacular, but I have a few magnolia buds, flowers, rocks, bird feeder & a fountain to create some lighting and texture variants. My plan would be to use a prime piece of glass for both shoots - ie, the FA31ltd, DA21Ltd, FA 35mm. Or one of Pentax's good consumer grade zoom such as the DA 16-45mm or DA 55-300mm.
I'm open for suggestions.

Shooting plan would be:

-Use exact same lens on both cameras
-Sunny or slight overcast day
-Handheld without tripod & with Shake Reduction engaged (would check final focus to make sure focal point is consistent in captures)
-Shoot at F8 in Av setting both cameras
-in camera jpeg settings would be to my preferences on both cameras as I don't care for Pentaxes somewhat soft default settings. I use my photos by the hundreds to create video shows, so don't need to spend a lot of time in Photoshop or Picassa. I use the internal jpeg engine to get a finished product as close as possible.
-no post processing whatsoever other than re-sizing to fit Pentax forum standards. You should be able to compare what the camera's can do under their own "power".

If any of you would find this useful, let me know via return post and I'll try to arrange in next week or so.

Shutterbob

07-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
shoot in dng and jpg, also shoot both at the same exposure and auto expose modes, also try controlled lighting, studio etc to confirm and rule out the cameras exposure settings.