Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

First efforts with K-7 and DA*50-135

Because the DA*50-135 is so huge, I tend not to use it as much as it merits. Today I took it out and shot a few common subjects that I use just to check out my gear. Not making history here, just showing some samples. I shot these as PEFs, imported them into Lightroom, and just exported them to JPEGs with no dimension more than 1000 pxls. I used the standard "multi-segment" metering, not spot metering, and shot in P mode with the normal program.

I think the uploading process washes out the colors a little. I notice in preview the colors are not nearly as vivid as they are on my monitor.

But...for those loving this lens and wondering how it works with the K-7, here goes.

Attached Images

07-21-2009, 12:01 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Nice. #2 is definitely exemplary of the bokeh you can get from the 50-135!
07-21-2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

maybe it's just me, but i think that all the photos except 3rd are underexposed..

what about others?
07-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #4

tested my K-7 with DA* 50-135, shots straight from camera without any procprocessing, only resize. Default JPG settings.

F3.2

F3.2

F2.8

F2.8

F4

Enjoy

07-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
maybe it's just me, but i think that all the photos except 3rd are underexposed..
what about others?
I agree.

QuoteQuote:
I think the uploading process washes out the colors a little. I notice in preview the colors are not nearly as vivid as they are on my monitor.
If you think that is the case and you're properly color-managing them in Photoshop, try converting from your current working space profile to sRGB. Most non-color managed web browsers (i.e. virtually anything on Windows) will assume sRGB as the default colorspace. My first reaction is that you may be using AdobeRGB in Photoshop and simply uploading them as-is. I'll use ProPhotoRGB in Lightroom/Photoshop but always convert to 8-bit sRGB before uploading to the web where they will be viewed by who-know's-what web broswer. FYI, both Safari and Firefox, at least on the Mac, employ color management to properly display a photo with an embedded ICC profile.

Regards,
Terry
07-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mystic Quote

what about others?
Someone mentioned a colour spce issue, I would suggest it's a RAW issue. On your monitor LR usually displays the RAW file with the default settings so the image is somewhat 'processed' ...... once yiou export you need to be careful to retain those changes.

Personally i switch the changes off.
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Interesting comment about the under-exposure. At first, I felt the K-7 was exposing a little "hot" and so I have dialed in -.3 EV. Maybe my eye fooled me and I need to move it back to center.

I made a point of doing no PP on these for the sake of trying to see what the camera and lens could do. I know of course that some sharpening, some color adjustments, etc. are needed.

thanks for the feedback.

07-21-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Vaikis
Nice shots, but to me #4 and #5 look too highlight-heavy, almost blown on the bright end. The woman's skin texture is totally gone on the left side of her face in #4 and she has lovely skin so it's a shame to lose that.

That illustrates what some of us have thought that it seems the K-7 sometimes exposes a little "hot" but I don't know the best solution.
07-21-2009, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Those are some tough lighting conditions (the ones with the woman). Pretty good for no PP. Heck, I'd be happy just from the fact that she's modeling for you.
07-21-2009, 03:26 PM   #10

Yea, the K-7/DA* 50-135 is a killer combo...here is a link to few shots I took over the weekend.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/67040-k-7-carnival.html