Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #31

With the weather sealing of the K20D: In a german forum someone posted a picture a few days ago, showing a K20D with a weather sealed lens. It was shown on the "Bird Munich". The camera was out there in heavy rain for a whole day, no problem at all. I can't post a link to the picture because you'd have to be registered there to view it, but on this website it is shown too: Optialo Pentax punktet mit Outdoorqualitäten auf der Bird Munich

07-26-2009, 10:14 PM   #32
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ok yes they may be classed as weather resistant (most likely for legal reasons). But in practical terms they are capable of taking most of what mother nature throws at them. You can't go underwater of course.

I'm not discussing this point from my armchair. I shoot upwards of 3000 frames a week from May til October. Rain or shine, the Pentax is out there making money. Between that and the SR is why I haven't switched brands. I've considered it a few times for better high ISO's but the K20D is pretty good 95% of the time for that.

As for focusing in pouring rain? MF. It's not an issue at all. I built a couple of foam extended hoods to slip on the DA* hood and extend the front element protection from rain drops. I shoot a little wider to avoid vignetting and just crop the image. Works fine.

Yes you should avoid bad conditions if you can but I use my cameras for work. July has been a horrible month for rain in the East Coast of N America and I've easily shot 4000 images in rain and drizzle. The gear has taken it with flying colours. For one thing it has impressed a number of wedding guests and at the last one I did, there was a university prof who teaches a photo course. He had his Nikon 300 there (he was also in the bridal party), he took his camera inside at the first hint of rain. It started to rain and he suggested it was time to take cover. I said no, we could keep on shooting and he was very surprised I would. We continued for an hour more with the B&G using an umbrella, except when I hit the shutter. They like their shots and he got an education on how tough a Pentax with the correct lens can function in bad weather.

Oh and I shot with the flash as well. A plastic bag and it's still firing!

A little rain ain't gonna hurt:
Attachment 39707
Well, well, that's the best advertisement I have heard yet for a K20D. No seriously, Pentax should spotlight you or person's like you.

But all of what you said is only valid so long as you are using a WR lens. And that was essentially my point all along. The weather sealing is only as good as the weakest link.

BTW, very nice photo! It is interesting to learn about those who make their living with Pentax products...
07-26-2009, 11:27 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Peter, do you shoot the flash with the flash unit all covered in plastic bag? Do you have to compensate for exposure this way?
07-27-2009, 03:24 AM   #34
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteQuote:
a Pentax with the correct lens can function in bad weather.
Yes that's why I said that earlier.

As for the flash, I just use a freezer bag that is long and narrow and slip it over the flash. Use a couple of elastic bands to hold it in place and leave enough of the bottom of the bag to cover the hot shoe. Then I have a few of those DYI flash diffusers that look like a scoop, made from white foam. Attach that to the head and it protects the flash just fine.

With the clear plastic bag, there's no light loss. Just have a bit of air space away from the lens in case it gets hot from multiple shots. You loose some power with the diffuser but I shoot in manual anyway so it's no issue. The flash is at full power and I adjust the camera in manual mode to suit the situation.

07-27-2009, 08:12 AM   #35

Photos: Gallery
Thanks to everyone for posting here on this topic. I recently purchased a K20D; although I don't have a WR lens yet, now that I know the weather sealing is for real, I will plan to in the future.
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Ok yes they may be classed as weather resistant (most likely for legal reasons). But in practical terms they are capable of taking most of what mother nature throws at them. You can't go underwater of course.

<**snipped**>

Yes you should avoid bad conditions if you can but I use my cameras for work. July has been a horrible month for rain in the East Coast of N America and I've easily shot 4000 images in rain and drizzle. The gear has taken it with flying colours. For one thing it has impressed a number of wedding guests and at the last one I did, there was a university prof who teaches a photo course. He had his Nikon 300 there (he was also in the bridal party), he took his camera inside at the first hint of rain. It started to rain and he suggested it was time to take cover. I said no, we could keep on shooting and he was very surprised I would. We continued for an hour more with the B&G using an umbrella, except when I hit the shutter. They like their shots and he got an education on how tough a Pentax with the correct lens can function in bad weather.

Oh and I shot with the flash as well. A plastic bag and it's still firing!

A little rain ain't gonna hurt:
I, too, can attest to the fact that the K10D and K20D can spend hours in rain and not suffer any ill effects. I shot a garden wedding and reception in southern Mississippi in mid-March 2009. Rained nearly the entire time. Didn't take any extra precautions with the bodies as they sported the 16-50 and 50-135. The AF540-FGZ and a Sunpak 544 from film days were work horses, too. I looked like a drowned rat but the equipment remained gorgeous.

I didn't baby them while shooting, however, the next couple of days the bodies and lenses were left to air dry and then stored with silica packets afterward.

(I'd share images but I wasn't the primary photographer.)

It's a great feeling not to have to scramble for cover when it begins to rain.
07-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #37

Photos: Albums
Don any of you guys know how good the sealing on the K200D is? I bought mine and went shooting the chance of rain i had... I don't have weather sealed lenses, but mixing some duct tape, a plastic bag and the kit lens hood seem to have done nicely...