Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Soaked K20D - AF is hunting

Hey,
I relied a little bit too much on the weather sealing and my K20D got soaked. After being dead for a couple of days, the camera woke up, and since then everything but the auto focus has been working without any problems. The AF is just hunting and is not possible to use at all, but the green dot shines just like it should, when focusing manually.

Sent the camera for service here in Sweden, and they said it would cost 670USD to fix it. They say they have to change the main electronics and the upper flexblock. I rejected 'cause it doesn't feel the AF is worth that much. Just wonder if you think it's realistic with all those changes of electronics, and if it's possible to get fixed cheaper outside Sweden?

Thanks, and don't bring your dear cameras into water falls.

07-22-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rindler Quote
Hey,
I relied a little bit too much on the weather sealing and my K20D got soaked. After being dead for a couple of days, the camera woke up, and since then everything but the auto focus has been working without any problems. The AF is just hunting and is not possible to use at all, but the green dot shines just like it should, when focusing manually.

Sent the camera for service here in Sweden, and they said it would cost 670USD to fix it. They say they have to change the main electronics and the upper flexblock. I rejected 'cause it doesn't feel the AF is worth that much. Just wonder if you think it's realistic with all those changes of electronics, and if it's possible to get fixed cheaper outside Sweden?

o_o sounds like bad luck. I basically dumped my gx-10 into a bucket of water (literally) and nothing happened.
For $670 USD, you could get another K20D!Why fix if you can get new? Or you can just get the K-7!
07-22-2009, 01:06 PM   #3
Igilligan

Sorry to hear of your troubles...

Thats crazy expensive for a fix...

Honestly if everything else worked on the camera... I would get a katz eye screen and turn it into my MF camera. I use mf almost all the time anyway so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But no way is the crappy AF on a K20 is worth 600 bucks!
07-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

how did you soak it?

07-22-2009, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just to know, how heavy watering the k20d is not able to withstand?
Water flooding all over it? (not like raindrops or tap water, but large amounts, completely covering camera).
Water falling from height, in powerful stream, hitting camera with more force than usual?
Where did the water get in (mount, flash, buttons), was it a sealed lens?
It is interesting to know how pentax warranty deals with water caused defects.

Have you looked in the mirror box. Maybe there are some residue on mirror/af redirect mirror/af sensor. Sometimes tiny speck in the wrong place on the lens, interfering with light going to AF sensor can completely disable its ability to lock. Usually a light swipe with optic cloth solves this instantly.

Anyway, sorry to hear and hope you get your cam fixed much cheaper somehow.
07-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

There's another one who found out the difference between weatherproof and waterproof.
Don't fiddle with it too much as it might not be completely dry yet and you might be just aggravating the problem of the circuits shorting out because of the water.
Dry it thoroughly or with a hairdyer or just leave it to dry for a couple of more weeks before trying it out again.
It might return to normal once completely dry..including inside electronics.
Being impatient and trying it out always will just short out the circuits more.
07-22-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Buy a great MF lens, and have fun with that set-up.
Sorry to hear. Have you tried different lenses on it, and it is still the same problem ?
07-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Remember that you also need a weathersealed lens for complete protection, otherwise water can enter through the lens mount. What lens were you using?

Like others, I have gotten mine very wet (though not underwater!) with my 16-50 and 50-135mm with no issues whatsoever.

07-25-2009, 01:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rindler Quote
Hey,

I can't resist responding to this thread.

First, my sincerest and deepest condolences to your loss.

I've been saying this forever though.... that the K20D (and the K7) seals are a little bit like anti-lock brakes on a vehicle. They can give one a false sense of security. I think it is foolish to believe that, even in a rainstorm, your Pentax is safe because of the seals. Are you really willing to test those seals?

IMHO, the seals on the Pentax K20D and the K7 are a bit of a marketing gimmick.

Bottom line, water (or any liquid) and electronics gear do not mix! Avoid whenever possible!

Still, too bad for you... but at least part of the camera works.
07-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Is it not still under warranty... with those 3 year warrantys they were handing out? as depending on the circumstances on the camera getting wet ( as long as you didn't dunk it) pentax should fix it for free
07-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter

I have to disagree. Pentax describes these cameras and appropriate lenses as weather sealed. I had a K100 previously and it was anything but weather sealed. I was out hiking about a year after I got it and got dowsed with rain. After letting it dry out, the LCD never worked again. On the other hand, with K10/K20 and the DA *50-135, I have had significant rain exposure without any problem. Obviously, I wouldn't take my camera white water rafting, wouldn't wash it off in the shower, but this is a very useful feature of an electronic device and anything but a gimmick for those of us who go out side when the weather isn't the best.

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I can't resist responding to this thread.

First, my sincerest and deepest condolences to your loss.

I've been saying this forever though.... that the K20D (and the K7) seals are a little bit like anti-lock brakes on a vehicle. They can give one a false sense of security. I think it is foolish to believe that, even in a rainstorm, your Pentax is safe because of the seals. Are you really willing to test those seals?

IMHO, the seals on the Pentax K20D and the K7 are a bit of a marketing gimmick.

Bottom line, water (or any liquid) and electronics gear do not mix! Avoid whenever possible!

Still, too bad for you... but at least part of the camera works.
07-25-2009, 04:17 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have to disagree. Pentax describes these cameras and appropriate lenses as weather sealed. I had a K100 previously and it was anything but weather sealed. I was out hiking about a year after I got it and got dowsed with rain. After letting it dry out, the LCD never worked again. On the other hand, with K10/K20 and the DA *50-135, I have had significant rain exposure without any problem. Obviously, I wouldn't take my camera white water rafting, wouldn't wash it off in the shower, but this is a very useful feature of an electronic device and anything but a gimmick for those of us who go out side when the weather isn't the best.
Fine, fine.... perhaps I was a bit too harsh, however, I still maintain that these cameras are not as water proof as some Pentaxian's want others to believe.

For the occasional rain splatter the Pentax K20D and K7 offer more protection than perhaps any camera under $1000.00..... However, I doubt that the differences in weather proofing between the K20D/K7 and the Canon D50 make any difference in real world conditions.

Like I said many times, if you value your Pentax, don't test it's weather proofing, keep it away from liquids!

This is not a negative comment about Pentax, but rather, a pragmatic one.

BTW, this come from experience with a 'weather proofed' canon video camera that didn't survive a very light grapefruit juice spill. The camera partially works but most of the controls no longer function and the LCD screen is upside-down. The weirdest result of that ever since, the LCD screen also displays a sad face! I'm not joking!

Never mind the warranty, things like this are NEVER covered.
07-25-2009, 05:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

The weirdest result of that ever since, the LCD screen also displays a sad face! I'm not joking!
Pics or it didn't happen

And to the Op, I hope you can get it fixed somehow! condolences for the camera.
07-25-2009, 05:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

For the occasional rain splatter the Pentax K20D and K7 offer more protection than perhaps any camera under $1000.00..... However, I doubt that the differences in weather proofing between the K20D/K7 and the Canon D50 make any difference in real world conditions.
That's pretty much my experience. Both my XXD Canon bodies and the K20D saw some rain and so-so weather with no issues.

One has to be reasonable with cameras either way, other than the 1-series Canons (which I have seen people literally hose off after getting them really nasty) I would be at least moderately careful, "weather sealing" or not.
07-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
<snip> I had a K100 previously and it was anything but weather sealed. <snip>
I thought the K100D didn't have weather sealing? I know the K110D doesn't, and I thought the only difference between that and the K100D was the shake reduction?