Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 02:39 PM   #1

k20d focus sreen ?.

Hi need a little info please, been reading a few thread about the pentax focus screen and was thinking of a split screen, how easy or hard are they to change ?. I also read somewhere (but cant find the thread now ?) that when fitted the k20 underexposses ? not sure if this is true, any info would be great.

many thanks

richard.

07-22-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fitting the screen is actually a lot easier than you might think, just staring into the mirror box for the first time.

I'd advise getting a pair of plastic tweezers (if they don't come with the screen that you purchase) which is all the equipment you need, aside from a blower/brush to give the area a good clean out before you change the screen.

I used a cut-down screen from an old 35mm K1000, bought from Jinfinance on eBay (you'll find links to this source if you search this Forum, as well), which I've installed on my K20D and my *istD (the same screen dimensions for both). The screen carrier hinges down at the front (ie the lens side of the mirror box) once you release the small push-latch, and the focussing screen lifts out using a tab on its front edge.

Once you've done it the first time, it's about a 1 minute job to replace a screen, even including cleaning. It's also advisable to use a blower-brush to clean the screen before inserting it, as some tiny bits of debris tend to cling quite tenaciously. I've even used a micro-fibre cloth to clean some particularly stubborn spots.

I've also found no change to exposure or front/back focus with this screen, although the K20D tends to under-expose anyway, a subject much discussed in these forums.

Good luck!
07-22-2009, 05:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Once you've done it the first time, it's about a 1 minute job to replace a screen, even including cleaning. It's also advisable to use a blower-brush to clean the screen before inserting it, as some tiny bits of debris tend to cling quite tenaciously. I've even used a micro-fibre cloth to clean some particularly stubborn spots.
Oh yes. Dust in the viewfinder won't affect photos, obviously, but it sure is annoying! The same goes for scratches.

Be really careful with the screens. They are easy to scratch, and that's why it's such a good idea to use soft-tipped tweezers. If you're going to use your fingers, I strongly recommend latex (or similar) gloves, the really thin ones, just to keep fingerprint oils off.

If you can't find soft plastic tweezers, you can use metal ones, with the tips wrapped in several layers of masking tape.

Finally, if you're at all anxious about this, don't be -- watch this video from this forum's codiac2600:

YouTube - K10D Changing your focusing screen.

K10D and K20D are identical as far as changing the focus screens.
07-23-2009, 02:13 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Fitting the screen is actually a lot easier than you might think, just staring into the mirror box for the first time.

I'd advise getting a pair of plastic tweezers (if they don't come with the screen that you purchase) which is all the equipment you need, aside from a blower/brush to give the area a good clean out before you change the screen.

I used a cut-down screen from an old 35mm K1000, bought from Jinfinance on eBay (you'll find links to this source if you search this Forum, as well), which I've installed on my K20D and my *istD (the same screen dimensions for both). The screen carrier hinges down at the front (ie the lens side of the mirror box) once you release the small push-latch, and the focussing screen lifts out using a tab on its front edge.

I've also found no change to exposure or front/back focus with this screen, although the K20D tends to under-expose anyway, a subject much discussed in these forums.

Good luck!
Thanks for the info. will have to look at screens now and see whats good .

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
Oh yes. Dust in the viewfinder won't affect photos, obviously, but it sure is annoying! The same goes for scratches.

Be really careful with the screens. They are easy to scratch, and that's why it's such a good idea to use soft-tipped tweezers. If you're going to use your fingers, I strongly recommend latex (or similar) gloves, the really thin ones, just to keep fingerprint oils off.

If you can't find soft plastic tweezers, you can use metal ones, with the tips wrapped in several layers of masking tape.

Finally, if you're at all anxious about this, don't be -- watch this video from this forum's codiac2600:

YouTube - K10D Changing your focusing screen.

K10D and K20D are identical as far as changing the focus screens.
Hi thanks for the info and link, great to see how easy it is , i now have no worries about changing it, just need to make sure i get the correct one .

many thanks

Richard.

07-24-2009, 10:25 AM   #5

Original Poster
Anyone any info on the best one to get ?. I see some cheap one,s on fleabay and found a few on google but not sure what to go for, would like to get it correct first time . i dont want to buy acheap one and regret it, i also dont want to buy a expensive one just to find out its the same as the cheap one . pentax seem to sell all kinds apart from a split screen ?.

many thanks

Richard.
07-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #6

After trying one (forget who the seller was) on Ebay that front focused badly I was ready to try getting shims.

Instead I got one from Jinfinance on Ebay.

Spot on. No shims required.

If you don't want to lay out the money for a Katzeye, go with Jinfinance.
07-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richardk20d Quote
Hi need a little info please, been reading a few thread about the pentax focus screen and was thinking of a split screen, how easy or hard are they to change ?. I also read somewhere (but cant find the thread now ?) that when fitted the k20 underexposses ? not sure if this is true, any info would be great.

many thanks

richard.
Here is the review I did with the Katzeye including pictures through the viewfinder. You might find it useful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46978-my-k20d-katz...-pictures.html

07-27-2009, 07:43 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i have a jinfinance split image screen in my K10D

was really hard to install,. took all of 5 minutes.

I will admit though, I had practice as I had swapped the K10D and *istD screens already once for a metering experiment.

It is really easy to do with tweesers and a small jeweller's screqdriver.

As others have posted, jinfinance screen needed no shims or adjustments, and the split image is spot on with the camera's AF.

remember to take the protective plastic off the screen before installing.

One comment on the screen is that it is a little "rough" around the edges. The diagonal line for th esplit image does have some flaws in it but they don't impact function.

Also note if you thought meterins is bad with manual lenses and the stock screen, it does get a little worse, especially spot metering with a split image screen.

As for focusing, it is a joy to use especially wit my newley aquired 85mm F1.4 (samyang AKA vivitar)
07-30-2009, 10:06 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Mine just arrived. I'm really excited about installing it. Critical manual focusing has been a bit of a struggle for me. I also can't wait to make back-focus/front-focus adjustments for all my lenses
07-30-2009, 10:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Out-topic:

Lowell, how is the 85??? I've considered taking one myself, along with a sigma 30/1.4, for some nice low-light action! It's full-frame, no? (already thinking about some nice OOF 35mm shots here).
07-30-2009, 02:02 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Here is the review I did with the Katzeye including pictures through the viewfinder. You might find it useful:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/46978-my-k20d-katz...-pictures.html
Thanks for the link , was looking at the katzeye but not made my mind up yet

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

I will admit though, I had practice as I had swapped the K10D and *istD screens already once for a metering experiment.

As others have posted, jinfinance screen needed no shims or adjustments, and the split image is spot on with the camera's AF.

One comment on the screen is that it is a little "rough" around the edges. The diagonal line for th esplit image does have some flaws in it but they don't impact function.

Also note if you thought meterins is bad with manual lenses and the stock screen, it does get a little worse, especially spot metering with a split image screen.

As for focusing, it is a joy to use especially wit my newley aquired 85mm F1.4 (samyang AKA vivitar)
Hi yup looked on fleabay and may order one to play with , Once i set the camera up for my eyes , i found it easy to focus a manual lens , I bought a pentax m42 adapter and tried a zeiss 50mm 2.8 and it is pin sharp, i wish the 50-200 da was half as sharp , but it wont focus to infinity ? is this the norm with a adapter ?. i also have a pentax 50mm 1.7 m and it works fine ?..

thanks

Richard.
07-30-2009, 02:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi yup looked on fleabay and may order one to play with , Once i set the camera up for my eyes , i found it easy to focus a manual lens , I bought a pentax m42 adapter and tried a zeiss 50mm 2.8 and it is pin sharp, i wish the 50-200 da was half as sharp , but it wont focus to infinity ? is this the norm with a adapter ?. i also have a pentax 50mm 1.7 m and it works fine ?..

thanks

Richard.
richard

there are 2 types of M42 adaptors, those with flanges and those without.

Some M42 lenses are designed to work with a flanged adaptor and focus past infinity on pentax screw mount SLR bodies, BUT pentax lenses and some made specifically for the pentax screw mount focus precisely to infinity, and can't accept the thickness of the flanged adaptor because on Pentax cameras, both screw mount and K mount, the registration distance (from mount face to focusing plane) is identical.
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Rough around the edges is an understatement for the one I got, It has a double line in the center where the split is and on one side of the outer circle there are 2 lines. It almost appears like the center was pressed in crooked. It does seem to focus correctly but it's not really usable to me. I can send it back but the postage is almost as much as a new screen so I'm back to my original.
08-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

[Shameless Plug #2]

Anyone any info on the best one to get ?. I see some cheap one,s on fleabay and found a few on google but not sure what to go for, would like to get it correct first time . i dont want to buy acheap one and regret it, i also dont want to buy a expensive one just to find out its the same as the cheap one . pentax seem to sell all kinds apart from a split screen ?.

many thanks

Richard.
If you are interested in the Katzeye, I have one in pristine condition with the Optibrite coating in the Marketplace. If you go to their website you can see all the configurations these can come with. Mine has the Pentax focus point [ ] as well as the rule of thirds grid. I no longer have my K10D, as I sold it with the OEM screen. Reasonable offers welcome.