Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 06:26 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry pentax but you've just made me spend alot of cash

I'm sending my k7 back for a refund now, I loved the camera but the dreaded lines are not acceptable, now I'm not leaving pentax as the k20D has proven itself to me but right now for me the k7 isn't ready for pro use. I have no choice so bye to the k7, I'm actually in pain packing it in the box to send it off and trying to pull out another $2300 to cover the price on a 5d mk2 and lens to get me through the fashion season, also as it's the only cam worth getting over the k20D/k7.

I'll wait to see if the issues go away after a while and try again.

07-22-2009, 07:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

As with any new products, quirks will happen, as with the first release of the K20D.
Firmware updates will come to fix these issues and when all have been worked out, then that would be the best time to get a K7.
07-22-2009, 07:40 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I'm sending my k7 back for a refund now, I loved the camera but the dreaded lines are not acceptable, now I'm not leaving pentax as the k20D has proven itself to me but right now for me the k7 isn't ready for pro use. I have no choice so bye to the k7, I'm actually in pain packing it in the box to send it off and trying to pull out another $2300 to cover the price on a 5d mk2 and lens to get me through the fashion season, also as it's the only cam worth getting over the k20D/k7.

Maybe you just got a lemon...I have had no issues with "lines" on my K-7 and I have shot under a wide variety of lighting conditions. Why not just send it back for a replacement?
07-22-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that, but I'll bet you'll get another one as the K7 is a compelling camera.

If I were going FF, I'd buy an a900 over 5Dmk2 or D700. The complaints over high iso noise are over-blown and the colors from the Sony are very hard to beat. Combine that with a Zeiss 24-70 and you're all set. Of course it'll set you back about $4500 but I think there is a rebate that helps take some of the sting out.

It ain't small and light though...

07-22-2009, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Sorry to hear that, but I'll bet you'll get another one as the K7 is a compelling camera.

If I were going FF, I'd buy an a900 over 5Dmk2 or D700. The complaints over high iso noise are over-blown and the colors from the Sony are very hard to beat. Combine that with a Zeiss 24-70 and you're all set. Of course it'll set you back about $4500 but I think there is a rebate that helps take some of the sting out.

It ain't small and light though...
I'm waiting a while to see the K8, I'm sure my K20D will last until then, as for the sony I would get one but I have a budget and it has to fit body, camera, lens, flash, battery pack or spares and cf cards, also I can get lots of canon gear to rent or borrow hence why the mk2 is the way to go for now, it's a business decision at this point.
07-22-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote

I have seen only a few select cases. Most of the users say they haven't gotten this issue yet, so I think you should just get another K-7 or wait for the K-8 or w/e it will be.
07-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
I have seen only a few select cases. Most of the users say they haven't gotten this issue yet, so I think you should just get another K-7 or wait for the K-8 or w/e it will be.
He already tried 2 I believe.........
At this point I have 2 K7's that give lines not just after live view but even after 500 shots in an Aircon 23c hall covering a fashion show.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/65879-k7-busted-se...n-body-12.html
07-22-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Possibly a batch that was shipped to W.I.? Mine is terrific so far.....Perhaps you can call Pentax directly?

07-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Although, what he's experienced with his K-7's are not expected faults, which is very unfortunate.
Though wouldn't it be worth having the K-7 replaced again - the vendor really is obliged to exchange any faulty equipment sold that has an obvious flaw within the guarantee period (whatever that may be).
07-22-2009, 11:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Its a shame Torphoto

I can only praise mine.

Good luck with whichever way you go.

Neil
07-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #11

Its a shame its come to this Torphoto.
Ive been following your case since you were the first person to hit an extreme case of this after my thread... and then to get it in your replacement body is definately a letdown.
But you have to understand that theres me, you and a dozen other guys that have had this problem... OR even if theres HALF the k7's sold doing this damn line, it still means the other half are fine... surely amazon (from memory, ? your vendor) are obligated to swap you out ANOTHER K7. You have (like others) received a dud copy, its shouldnt be your problem within a year (under warranty, manufacturers defect) let alone straight away. The K7 is obviously your first choice, there's obviously K7's out there that dont have faulty sensors, AND they need to set you up with one.
A massive dissapointment and i hope it works out either way.
07-23-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
Its a shame its come to this Torphoto.
Ive been following your case since you were the first person to hit an extreme case of this after my thread... and then to get it in your replacement body is definately a letdown.
But you have to understand that theres me, you and a dozen other guys that have had this problem... OR even if theres HALF the k7's sold doing this damn line, it still means the other half are fine... surely amazon (from memory, ? your vendor) are obligated to swap you out ANOTHER K7. You have (like others) received a dud copy, its shouldnt be your problem within a year (under warranty, manufacturers defect) let alone straight away. The K7 is obviously your first choice, there's obviously K7's out there that dont have faulty sensors, AND they need to set you up with one.
A massive dissapointment and i hope it works out either way.
Bentax, I'll probably get a k7 or k8 ( hope ) around xmas or so, I'm accepting fully early adopter new model teething issues here, but this is a business decision purely at this point, I'll have to wait for the product to mature some more. I'm actually dreading getting the canon but this is just a must for business reasons, personally I love the K7 in every other way, will probably still be longing for it while I use the mk2 ( actually I did very much dislike the mk2 when I tested it recently, horrible huge un friendly machine but it delivers the goods ), but right now the bottom line is business comes first, I'm only a semi pro that makes enough off my gear to pay for itself plus a bit extra but it's enough to warrant the decision ( plus maintain my media pass that gets me in everywhere free ).

Plus at this point a dual system is not so bad, it will give me options but guys do note that to replace the K7 ( even k20D ) I have to go up to a 5d MK2, I can't go back down in resolution to 12 with nikon, the K20D's iq also spotlit me that much, the 50D is not that much of an improvement if any to warrant it, that and the performance of the K7 ( disregarding the green lines ) was really that good, a bit noisy but cleaned up well, far superior wb and even exposure in low light than the competition and af up to par ( the d300 still killed it af tracking but thats only by a bit ). The fact that I have to go up into the sub $3000 range is a testament to the K7 and if Pentax can get this solved ( which they can ) or at least address it in the next model they will be well on their way.