Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 01:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Reason to Keep 2 Camera Bodies?? K7 and K20D

Couple of days ago i got my K7. Things look very promising so far, but will no more with further use. I still have my K20D and have thought about putting it up on the marketplace. I was wondering what options yall would have a second body for and uses.

The 3 lenses i would interchange that i have with each body would be DA*16-50mm, DA*50-135mm or Sigma 100-300mm F4.

I would think maybe keep DA*16-50mm/50-135mm on the K20 and use the Sigma 100-300mm F4 on the K7, because of improved autofocus and WB?

What are your thoughts. I think sports, wildlife pictures would be great setup to have 2 bodies. Also if i need more range, i can throw the Kenko 1.5tc on something.

Thanks

Steve

07-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If keeping the other body isn't going to make you miss paying the rent or buying groceries, hang onto it.
07-23-2009, 02:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Equipment redundancy.
Also in some situations where you don't have the luxury of time to change lenses (eg. events, weddings, etc.), having a second body is the way to go.
07-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Unless you plan to shoot events and weddings, and make money out of it, I don't see any reason to keep two cameras. Digital cameras don't have much collecting value imo, just let it go if you are not gonna use it.

07-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I have a k10d but haven't yet upgraded to the K-7 I have a pre-order but I'm waiting a while for the first priced drop and a firmware update and the spare batteries to be available it's no good only having one battery!

I'm thinking though when I do get the K-7 I might keep my K10D too for weddings and gigs etc where you can miss shots by changing lenses. But then again if I sold my k10D I could put that towards another lens... Idealy I'd have 2 k-7s but that's too expensive for a student. So I think I'll keep the K10D.

For your setup I would keep the K20D and use it like you mention above
07-23-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm in the same situation. Deciding between selling the K20D next to the K-7 or hanging onto it.

With past cameras I never used them after buying the new camera. The *istDS was borrowed to my brother and the K10D was sold. Of course, each time the old one had a comparatively lower resolution sensor than the new one, and as such using the old one meant smaller images which I didn't want.

The K20D and the K-7 share a very similar sensor however, and as such are more compatible in terms of the resulting images.

Of course, the question is when you would prefer which camera:
- For normal situations where there is no constraint of any kind, I would use the best camera: the K-7
- For travel I would use the smallest camera: the K-7
- For sports or wildlife I would use the fastest camera: the K-7

So the K-7 every time...

Ok, when would I use two cameras: when in need of fast lens switching.
- sports: rarely do this, but I never really missed a second camera here. I could use it though, and the bulk of an extra camera could be manageable.
- wildlife: only do this while traveling, so the larger K20D would not be the best alternative to carry along with the "less" used lens on it... I will probably never take along the larger camera as a second, unless on a photography workshop, but I probably won't do these as much as I did before I was married...

So... what to do? I my case I have the K20D body+grip+KatzEye(custom grid, no split prism)+4 batteries.
- I could just sell the grip plus two batteries and keep the customized K20D. Grip isn't really needed on a second body. Not for the battery power anyway, and for the rare portrait shots I think I can manage without as well...
- If I sell the body as well, the KatzEye will migrate to my brother's *istDS.

Anyway, I'm sure not all I wrote is applicable to you, but it may give you some ideas...

Wim
07-23-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 68wSteve Quote
Couple of days ago i got my K7. Things look very promising so far, but will no more with further use. I still have my K20D and have thought about putting it up on the marketplace. I was wondering what options yall would have a second body for and uses.

The 3 lenses i would interchange that i have with each body would be DA*16-50mm, DA*50-135mm or Sigma 100-300mm F4.

I would think maybe keep DA*16-50mm/50-135mm on the K20 and use the Sigma 100-300mm F4 on the K7, because of improved autofocus and WB?

What are your thoughts. I think sports, wildlife pictures would be great setup to have 2 bodies. Also if i need more range, i can throw the Kenko 1.5tc on something.

Thanks

Steve
Kept mine.. well the GX20 at least... have already taken advantage of this twice, but for me it was a DA* on each.

Plan on the weekend to do street shoot with an FA limited prime on each.

Neil

07-23-2009, 03:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
If keeping the other body isn't going to make you miss paying the rent or buying groceries, hang onto it.
Nope not a problem there, the army pays my rent (in the baracks right now) and i save enough money at the commisary on grocies lol.

All great opinons for everybody. i will most likely hang on to it for now, for as mentioned, needing to switch lenses fast. The K20D is a great camera and as one mentioned close to same sensor so IQ for both will be similar. Just need to get into the situation where i will need to get use to having both bodies on me and see how akward it can get.

Keep opinions coming,

Steve
07-23-2009, 04:06 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even if you don't "need" two bodies all the time, it sure is nice to have one for back up. The nature of electronics is that even well-made things break down. When I got my K20, I kept my K10. It was awfully nice for the two weeks when I sent my K20 in for service.
07-23-2009, 04:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I could find myself in a similar situation, I also have the same Sigma lens as you.

Personally, if I go for a K7, I think it would be an excellent sports and wildlife setup with the Sigma (faster FPS, faster / more accurate AF); so you could do something similar?

I would hang on to my K20D for landspace work, the ISO noise on the K7 does not appeal to me so I would bring the K20D out everytime.

There's also no harm in having a spare body, particularly if you're doing paid work such as a wedding.
07-23-2009, 05:03 AM   #11

I'm hanging onto my K100D when the K7 arrives - it's worth more to me as a backup camera than I could sell it for.

I can use it as a backup in case the K7 fails. I can have two bodies with different lenses on them if I ever need to shoot a wedding or suchlike. My girlfriend can use it to learn a bit about photography. The main reason for me though is the K100d will probably become my timelapse camera - timelapse quickly wrecks the shutter (my Nikonian friend has racked up like 60,000 actuations in a couple of months and is paranoid about the shutter mechanism dying) and there is no need for more then 6MP resolution. I'm also considering an IR conversion...
07-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

By semi-intention (it's a long story), I have twin K20Ds and find it very handy. For one thing, I can set up one with a long lens on a tripod and shoot other stuff with the other while waiting on the birds. It's also nice to have a backup in case I do something stupid (again). In my case, I have the advantage of battery compatibility which you wouldn't. Look at it this way: the K20D is a great camera and probably worth more than you can get for it. But, if you keep it, use it--don't let it gather dust.
07-23-2009, 07:22 AM   #13

Keep 'em!

I have an istD, K10D and K20D and will be hanging on to them all. Tjhe ist has been converted to IR and the K10D is used as second body instead of lens swaping and the 'practice' body to keep the life in the K20D.

I am going to pass on the K7 (thing of beauty though it is) for the foreseable future as I do not do a lot of sports type stuff.

Plus the K10D can turn off the dark frame subtraction for the really long 10 stop ND type shots I will be doing when my knee heels.

Bill

Last edited by Billgscott; 07-23-2009 at 07:24 AM. Reason: more to say
07-23-2009, 02:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I have 2 identical *ist DS bodies.
One is permanently fitted with a Pentax M42 screwmount adapter, the other without. As I have an equal amount of M42 & P/K mount lenses, for me this is a convenient setup, especially because *ist bodies are now dirt cheap (I picked up my second body a few weeks ago in Mint condition for $177).